What Has Happened To This Site?

This used to be the place to go for DJ ideas, input and conversation. Over flowing with 100's of posters with daily conversation about everything. It seems to have turned in to a ghost town. What happened?

Mark Evans

Mobile Beat Moderator
Staff member
Social media. You can have you own page and for no cost and no experience you can create your own page for free. I still love this site for the organization. Its so hard to look up info on FB and that was really a site setup for the moment. I rarely see anything come up from a week ago. If you don't see it with in a day it's usually gone out of site out of mind.

Mark, you know I respect ya, but I have to call BS here. Not on what you said about social media, that's accurate. It's the cause & effect implication I think is inaccurate. As some know here I'm a rabidly enthusiastic pool player. I'm a member of the user forum of AZBilliards.com Their forums are every bit as busy today as this site was the year I joined it. Social Media hasn't hurt AZBilliards.com, it actually has helped. There are differences in the 2 audiences yes, but I think the main difference is on how the 2 user forums have been run. The social media excuse, at least from how I see it, is a tired excuse Maybe, there's some truth to it, but it doesn't come close to explaining all the reasons the membership here has dwindled (IMHO) and that the site is practically ready for hospice care. I'm not looking to insult anyone or start $#!+. As it has been pointed out to many of us, this is not our sandbox, and if we wish to stay, we have a choice to make about following the rules. As such I won't share the reasons why I think this site's membership & member activity has dwindled...but I will say, in chatting with other members at large off site, I'm by no means alone. I've been retired from DJing for several years now, and in spite of my above assertion, I still enjoy popping in and seeing what going on with people whom I consider not only colleagues but friends. -Z-

Last edited:

Ken Heath

Super Moderator...da-ta-daaa!!!
Staff member
Steve,

There were rules when I was installed as Moderator 19 years ago; since the founder is still the founder, those same rules are still in effect. The only people who have ever been asked to remove themselves have flagrantly and repetitiously violated the rules they accepted for admittance. Nothing personal, nobody targeted, they were all given every opportunity to play nice and refused again and again until there were no options remaining.

Our problems began with platform performance, server issues, and the abrupt and unexpected removal of our established name... these problems were exacerbated by the exponential growth of newer forms of social media and our slow adaptation to it, too many years went by before we had any form of integration.

Steve,

There were rules when I was installed as Moderator 19 years ago; since the founder is still the founder, those same rules are still in effect. The only people who have ever been asked to remove themselves have flagrantly and repetitiously violated the rules they accepted for admittance. Nothing personal, nobody targeted, they were all given every opportunity to play nice and refused again and again until there were no options remaining.

Our problems began with platform performance, server issues, and the abrupt and unexpected removal of our established name... these problems were exacerbated by the exponential growth of newer forms of social media and our slow adaptation to it, too many years went by before we had any form of integration.

Ken, you've brought forth many valid points with the above. One of the great things about this forum (and there are many) is that we are each afforded the right to see things from different perspectives and, if expressed in an appropriate manner, even share them here. I have shared my perspectives. You have shared yours. I have no need to convince anyone of the validity of my perspective(s) nor do I need to disprove the validity of anyone else's perspective(s). I think it's a model for the rest of the nation to follow that we can agree to disagree and still respect one another. Cheers! -Z-

Last edited:

Ausumm

Just as with any "club"...membership depends entirely on fresh blood.
You have to keep a constant flow of fresh people, to add a fresh perspective on new trends...
and to replace the older members who have slowed down their participation, or passed on.
I was the DJ at the annual St Paddy's Day party for my father-in-law's Bass Fishing Club.
In their case, the new members only wanted to fish and participate in tournaments that the club paid for.
They were not willing to help out with the annual dance, that was one of the biggest money-makers for the club.
They would not promote it, they would not sell tickets, and they didn't want to spend money to show up.
So....the event no longer happens.
I would bet that is part of the problem here.
The new breed of Mobile DJ's is not interested in anyone but themselves and their smart phone.
(the age group seems to have that reputation)
Technology that was intended to bring people together, has killed actual interaction with other human beings.
So, sharing ideas, making new friends or acquaintances, or simply LEARNING SOMETHING is not a priority.

Our problems began with platform performance, server issues, and the abrupt and unexpected removal of our established name
I'm also one of those who were "Regulars" for many years beginning somewhere around 1996 (when Ryan and Glenn Miller were still partners)... My dis-interest began with the name change... the site will always be "PRO DJ" to me... and was exacerbated when karaoke was dropped. So, instead of checking in 3 and 4 times a day as was my habit, I now pop by 3 or 4 times a year at most. I certainly miss many of the old timers here, but life goes on.

DJSTEVEZ

DJ Emeritus
Our problems began with platform performance, server issues, and the abrupt and unexpected removal of our established name
I'm also one of those who were "Regulars" for many years beginning somewhere around 1996 (when Ryan and Glenn Miller were still partners)... My dis-interest began with the name change... the site will always be "PRO DJ" to me... and was exacerbated when karaoke was dropped. So, instead of checking in 3 and 4 times a day as was my habit, I now pop by 3 or 4 times a year at most. I certainly miss many of the old timers here, but life goes on.
Hey Earl, you know what my favorite river in the world is? Da Nile, LMAO!

I have to agree with Steve, I am on a handful of forums covering all different types of subjects and interests, and they are all busy, so I do agree to point that social media has hurt forums, but not as much as people think, forums still have there place for a lot stuff, and I know one DJ forum that is pretty darn busy.

Yall's are aware that internet forums are also consider social media right ?:hp2:

Last edited:

Cap

Always At Your Service
Reason #1: The same questions being asked over and over and over again and again and again. The business and performance experienced contributors became annoyed at newcomer' questions that could be answered by one, quick, brainless SEARCH. When the SEARCH feature was suggested, the experienced person was berated, belittled, and deemed anti-social even though the years of previous responses were riddled with solid gold;

Reason #2: The Golden Age of Mobile DJ has reached the end of the line and just about everybody is in it part-time therefore the lofty goal to be financially career dependent on this biz is gone, and with it, sage advice;

Reason #3: Misuse and misunderstanding of fundamental words such as "ego", "professional", "unprofessional", etc which always led to poop storms, bunched up skivvies, and huffy departures;

Reason #4: Cliques.

Reason #5: Which is better, yellow pages or newspaper? Which is better, records or tapes? Which is better, CDs or mp3s? Which is better, forums or facebook? Evolution is inevitable.

Reason #3: Misuse and misunderstanding of fundamental words such as "ego", "professional", "unprofessional", etc which always led to poop storms, bunched up skivvies, and huffy departures;
Cap, I for one find this depiction of the Mods as inaccurate and incendiary! :hp17:

For a long time I wasn't involved in forums as full time job was very very intense on this little known piece of legislation called Obamacare but now that it's settled into manageable stress I've been out here a bit and have noticed a big difference in activity. Do believe Social Media is a bit but whatever the reason miss fun music threads of favorite cocktail music, HS dance sets etc.......

Mark Evans

Mobile Beat Moderator
Staff member
Ok so let's bring this site back to life. I think the site is the fastest it's ever run and has more features so possible promote it on social media site. We have links on every thread that let's you share on FB and Twitter. Let's create new threads daily and keep the threads going daily.

djgulfcoast

Mobile DJ Alabama
I think it is been busy. The economy is better, more jobs and less time to lurk around the boards. Technology has also made the toys of the trade less complex. How many new lights and features can you talk about? This has been my first visit in awhile.