Spanish music "All-Time" Hit list

Mark Evans

Mobile Beat Moderator
Staff member
Missed this one. Awesome stuff here. I get PrimeCuts and once a month they include the latin disc which has many of these genres but that list by Ernesto is phenomenal.

Happy New Year to all my colleagues and industry professionals! I hope everyone had a successful year in 2012 and has bigger and better things in store for 2013. I'm glad I was able to provide a bit of knowledge in this thread and after going through my music folders and reorganizing my lists, I have narrowed down my spanish playlist by more than half. In the next few days, I will post an updated and more detailed list with spanish songs and artists that in my professional opinion will be very useful to DJs that may not be too familiar with the various latin genres.

djtunes

Checking Reality
This is what I need.

I'm in Florida. There are a lot of Hispanic people here. I can usually throw together a couple of good sets, but I'm just grasping at straws.

I am always honest with people and say if you're expecting a majority of Spanish or Latin music, I'm just not the best man for the job.

If I learn your list I could offer a more confident stance, and land some of the jobs I would shy away from before.

Thank you for your contribution.

NickyB

Gear and Equipment Moderator
I have my Latin Folder organized by Spanish Genre. I've also edited the song tags to include genre so VDJ can search that. Some of the genres (but not all) are:
Merengue
Salsa
Balada
Mariachi
Cumbia
Bachada
Durenguese
Nortena
Latin Club
Raggaeton
Salsaton
Tropical

And there are sub-genres below some of those I've listed based on regional background.

Jesse Avila

Here's a "gotta play" for mexican audiences late in the evening when they are all drunk. lol

1. El rey-Vicente Fernandez
2. Tragos de amargo liquor- Ramon Ayala
3. Caminos de Guanajuato- Jose Alfredo Jimenez.

If you go to a latin club DJ's almost always play these 2 songs back to back at the end of the night.

4. Me vale-Mana
5. Oye mi Amor- Mana

When you want to turn up the energy play this:

6. el sonidito- Hechizeros Band.
7. za za za- climax
8. EL coco no- Roberto JR.

Mix some pitbull, shakira, and reggae ton and you got yourself a party

NickyB

Gear and Equipment Moderator
I jave a lot of Latin music in my library, mostly from the RPM discs. I'm well aware of Prime Cuts and Promo Only with their latin music as well. My question is: How accurate are these subscription services in selecting their latin series music and where else should Ibe looking to stay on top of this particular genre? (And yes I am fully aware that there are numerous genres within the overall latin music industry.)

Steve Lynch

I used to sing "El Rey" at the end of my Karaoke show in Monterrey Mexico.. It was a singalong fest from hell.

Here's a "gotta play" for mexican audiences late in the evening when they are all drunk. lol

1. El rey-Vicente Fernandez
2. Tragos de amargo liquor- Ramon Ayala
3. Caminos de Guanajuato- Jose Alfredo Jimenez.

If you go to a latin club DJ's almost always play these 2 songs back to back at the end of the night.

4. Me vale-Mana
5. Oye mi Amor- Mana

When you want to turn up the energy play this:

6. el sonidito- Hechizeros Band.
7. za za za- climax
8. EL coco no- Roberto JR.

Mix some pitbull, shakira, and reggae ton and you got yourself a party

No one answered NickyB's question. I too have wondered.
I have found that each family/group is different as to what they consider "top Latin tunes".
VERY regional & all over the board.

KennyZail

Caffiend
Great information here.
If they're hiring you to DJ, they probably understand you're not a Latin Music expert. Having 3-4 excellent Salsa, Cumbia, Merengue and Latin Pop songs should work. I would ask them to supply you with a thumb drive of their latin songs to play if they are expecting more. :)