Song Suggestions...how Many?

Discussion in 'Event Specialties' started by soundmasterdj, Jun 11, 2017.

1. soundmasterdj

soundmasterdj Member

How many songs do you allow your clients to request before hand. Recently, I have noticed the requests list I am getting are really long.

2. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Mobile Beat Moderator Staff Member

Must play limited to 15, play if possible 25 and do not play 25. Have to have room for requests.

3. Cap

Cap Always At Your Service

Question is handled at the very first contact, to wit, "How hands on are you going to be with must play dance songs?" If it's more than what I wish to handle based on our discussions, then I recuse myself and suggest seeking another avenue.

After several failed attempts to be the "do it your way, do it anyway you want, do it all day long at one rate" kinda DJ, it's just a matter of being selective and being able to hit home runs with my own bat and balls (emphasis on the latter).

4. CalebGrayson

CalebGrayson New Member

allow?! they're paying me. what do i care?
    not like they'll notice one missing if it's 30 songs. besides, 2 chorus' and a verse and you're out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Cap

Cap Always At Your Service

Oh boy, you have obviously not been burned once let alone several times with that ideology. You will eventually and unfortunately experience the wrath of a pissed off client unless one puts their potential full time career and reputation in perspective.

Having trained 26 DJs, 10 of which have been full time 10 or more years, the #1 rule:

Protect career and reputation at ALL costs. Everyone where your performance is being held is watching and judging everything you do. They are your next clients or word of mouth referrals. Contemplate everything that might go wrong and fix it before it happens.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Bill_Goode and DJ Tecoy like this.
  6. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

I've always judged the request list based on 17 songs per hour. Then I let them pick roughly 1/3 of them. Remind them also that their specialty stuff (1st dance, garter/bouquet, cake cut, parent dances etal.) and dinner take away from the total dance time of the reception.