Silver Color Uplighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey There,

It's been awhile since I've been around these parts!

I have an uplighting question. I have a client for this coming weekend who has requested silver for her uplighting color.

I use Chauvet EZPar 64's that are RGBA. I have tinkered with the settings and can't really come up with anything that is close to silver. I have also tried our good friend Google which offered no real help.

Thus, I have come here to the DJ/Lighting Jedi Council, ha ha. Have any of you ever done silver? If so, what RGBA settings did you use?

I'm sure I could just put them on white and buy some gray tinted gels to put on them but the reason I bought these new fixtures over the winter was so I would never have to use gels again.

Her backup color is pink (which is easy to pull off) so I think I might just talk her into that instead. It would probably look 10X better anyway.

Any thoughts, suggestions, stories, insults, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks!

JameyBrock

Old Lighting Guy
Ther is really not a way to use additive color mixing to get silver lighting (nor is it possible with subtractive mixing)....it is about the material you are lighting that will make the resultant effect silver. Pink would be the right answer. See if she can show you an example of what she is talking about....

NickyB

Gear and Equipment Moderator
Silver is just one of those colors that simply CANNOT be produced by LED lighting, even with gels. There are some other colors that are really difficult as well so silver is not exclusive ...... Examples: Dark Burgundy Red, Brown, Deep Congo Blue. UV Purple, Gold and good Pastels used to be on that list when RGB's were the only LEDs available, however making RGBAWU LEDs have solved many of those issues. Maybe with more time the LED manufacturers will resolve the remaining issues.

I consider silver to be a conditional hue.

In that, the perceived color we seek is dependent on some other condition, an as it relates to up-lighting, an "impossible to create with mere light" condition.

We perceive silver, not simply see it.

Silver is fundamentally a crystalline reflective condition, a representation of polished silver, the shiny effect of which is due to the material's brightness varying with the surface angle to the light source. Can't do that with lights alone.

Conanski

The only real way to do silver is with white light on a silver drape or background and even then the drape/background needs to be very glossy or better yet infused with silver glitter to give it that sparkle, a decorator I work with has drapes like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.