shed me some light - Here's a dumb how much question for the millionith time

Status
Not open for further replies.
we've all heard this before... here goes..

email from bride.

Before we schedule a time to meet can u please let me know your rates? We are on a very limited budget. Thank you.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

Here's the scoop...

1. The venue cost $2500 to rent.

2. I've worked this venue many times and they referred me. It's a Nice hall. I love playing there.

3. I just want some reason for her to want to meet me so SHE can understand my value.

She's obviously uneducated about us or doesn't care. I need to uncover her buying motive.

Chuck:

In my 35 years of doing this, I don't remember 1 time I have sold anyone that's "on a very limited budget".

If it was me, I would want to know how "limited" she is talking about before I would meet with her.

Chris Moe

One Clueless Dude
Chuck, you will probably aggravate her even more by a barrage of emails. She is price shopping. I probably wouldn't waste my time on her. Give her a bare minimum price but explain that you'll do the job better than the other DJs and how and leave it at that.

There will/should be other phone calls from other people who are more interested in your service than she is.

Have a great day!

djfatman

Marketing Moderator
Hi (prospect),
First, congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and thank you for considering ABC Entertainment. Concerning your budget, I can certainly understand how you feel. Others have felt the same way.

Many of these same folks have discovered that by selecting someone who they've felt most comfortable with in giving them the day of their dreams, it was money well spent. Regardless of whether you're spending $400 or $4000 for your entertainment, if you aren't completely at ease with them, your day will be less than what you've expected.

My biggest piece of advice is to meet personally with anyone you are considering before you decide. You might discover that entertainment for your wedding is a real bargain. If you want your day to be fun, unique, and memorable, give us a call to discover how we can make your special day one to remember.

I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole. I'm just gonna forget it and not respond. I'm just more puturbed that she and others keep asking me these stoopid questions. As you can tell, it's bugging me and I need to just move on.

but you don't know what limited means to her and how much of her budget she values the entertainment as perhaps being a priority- I hate tire kickers and email brides as much as the next one- but why let a potential gig/lead die without even making a toekn effort- personally I think Tom gave a great template for you to use- feel, felt, found

You also indicate that you are referred at this facility and like playing there. You don't want the bride telling this facility that she never heard back from you - so she hired an inferior product. jmtc

I generally let the tire kickers know that my prices range from $50.00 to $2500.00 and up depending on exactly which of our services she needs. If she could give me more information that would be helpful.

They either contact me with more info or I never hear from them again. Either way I have given us both an opportunity to get a better feel for which ball park we are playing in.

Quoting a range of prices is a good thing to do in this situation. Don't just blow them off. People are trained by the bridal magazines to say they are on a budget.

However, make sure you have a realistic range based on what you already know. You know they are looking for DJ services, so quoting a starting price of $50 is obviously not true. (you may offer some service at that rate, but it's not what they are looking for)

Also, by meeting with them, they may realize they can use you for more than JUST DJing. Maybe you can act as event coordinator and planner as well, getting that part of their budget as well.

I'd respond with something to the effect of:

"Because every wedding is unique, there are many factors that I must consider before arriving at a price for your wedding. Scheduling a face to face meeting with potential clients allows for each of us to understand exactly what is expected for your event and in turn allows me to give you an accurate price quote based upon your wants and needs. You may be pleasantly surprised that our prices may very well fit within your budget. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience to schedule an initial consultation."

hippydog

wuz here when it was Red.
As you can tell, it's bugging me and I need to just move on.
You should move on to hiring an agent or another DJ company to do your sales for you..

i'm serious, going by all the threads you have started, thay all seem to end with same general idea.. You either don't "get" or dont like SALES..
Stop giving yourself headaches and let someone else handle that portion of your business.

You should move on to hiring an agent or another DJ company to do your sales for you..

i'm serious, going by all the threads you have started, thay all seem to end with same general idea.. You either don't "get" or dont like SALES..
Stop giving yourself headaches and let someone else handle that portion of your business.

I've looked into this but at the end of the day...I'd be making less.

Talent agents here in tampa pay $300 to $400 for saturday.

I'm just more puturbed that she and others keep asking me these stoopid questions.
Chuck, I can understand your frustration, but I also understand where the brides are coming from. In therapist school one of the very 1st things they taught us is to start where the CLIENT is at. The brides are not at all unlike us when we walk into Guitar Center or Sam Ash, they want the most for their dollar. The bride's unasked question is "can I afford you?". The first way to show her your value is realize that this is her unasked question and to show her you're (somewhat) in tune with her condition. As others have pointed out, giving a broad price range is a good start...it supports an affirmative answer of "Yes, you can afford me".

The rest is skilled salesmanship. I'll give you an example...when was the last time anyone here actually paid the initial budgeted price they conjured up for something like a car, a condo, a house, etc. A skilled salesman starts where you are (and your budget) and then gets you to voluntarily up what your willing to spend. My philosophy for Brides & Mitzvah Moms is simple: get them into the office no matter what. Once I get them into my office my conversion rate is in the high 90% range...AND they usually spend way more than they initially were open to spending...all I had to do was show them the options & add-ons. I can't remember the last time (if ever) I sold my base package for either a Wedding or a Mitzvah...yet, many times the bargain basement price is what got the prospective client in the door. Think about what I've shared with you Chuck. Use it in good health. -Z-

If you truly feel that is the case, then sell on your own. However, a GOOD talent agent would be able to get MORE money and MORE bookings for you, while reducing YOUR workload.

Sure, they make $400, but if they can sell you a higher end job that pays you $500 more than if you tried to sell it and all you had to do was deal with the client once booked, are you making less?

Even if they charged $300 and they only were able to get $200 more than your current rate, yet you don't have to field all the phone calls or pay for marketing, plus they book a few extra events for you per year, you will end up ahead.

Yes, if you could do everything yourself, you would make more money. But at some point, you run out of what you can do on your own and hire experts to do the things you can't. That's how you can grow your business. The less you have to do on your own, the larger your business can become.

Talent agents take a percentage of what the gig pays, which may be 10, 15 or20%. So if you're a $1200 DJ, the agent may take 240 and leave you with the rest (960). OTOH the agent may consider you a $500 DJ until you prove other wise.

The advantage- you don't spend money on marketing, and don't have to do any selling. Your first contact with the client is usually after the contract is signed. hmmm, maybe that's a disadvantage.

Disadvantage - The agent will have other DJs that may get most of the gigs. The agent only really cares about making money for himself.

Sorry, I seem to be venting a little, lol. The point is, the agent doesn't pay you as a multi-op does, but takes a percentage. If they're paying only $300 it's because they're selling to the tire kickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.