Only Retired DJs Are "Real" DJs

bb

Beginning sign of you are getting to be an old DJ.

What was the name of the song you played before the one your playing now? The old Dj replied ______________________________.

Sign of advanced oldness, what song are you playing now? DJ replied________________________.

Sign you are too old to DJ anymore and should quit, you keep playing the wrong song. (aka hitting the wrong button). And, __________________.

Fill in the blanks.

Last edited:

Cap

Always At Your Service
Forgetfulness is not necessarily the sign of age. For 30 years, I've struggled to remember the B & G's first names during the event. Before? After? No problem. During? I've had to take to using a felt tip pen and writing their names in huge letters in several blank spaces on the planner/itinerary.

Because I became extremely conscious about avoiding the repetitive verbalizing "Ladies & Gentlemen" and "the Bride and Groom" 30 or more years ago, it is frustrating not to be able to have their names roll off my tongue without queue cards.

What I am finding in performance due to advanced chronological status is forgetting an artist name or song title that I'd like to play in the next 30 seconds and end up grabbing something equivalent from a side list until the name/title does drop back into my head.

adjtogo

Well, once I did my last gig on 31 Jan 16, retired, and sold all of my equipment, I turned the DJ switch off. After 23 years of lugging equipment, it took a toll on me mentally, physically, and physiologically. There were only a few brief moments where I considered coming out of retirement, buying all new equipment, and starting all over...but I know physically I just can't do it anymore.

Since I retired, I've had a Nissen Fundoplication for a severe sliding hiatial hernia. Surgery on my left and right foot for Mortons Neuroma and hammer toes, which brought to a total of eight surgeries on my feet since 1987. Total reconstructive surgery on my nose where a silicone implant was inserted because a severe staph infection from a previous rhinoseptoplasty completely devoured cartilage in my nose. Also a minor revision to remove bone fragments that worked its way to the outer portion of my nose near my eyes. Cervical Spine surgery to fuse C4-C5 together after the disc completely collapsed, causing severe pain, tingling, and numbness in both arms. Carpal Tunnel Release in my right hand which was caused by the nerves in my neck being pinched together. And I just had my right shoulder repaired for a completely torn rotator cuff tear and also a bicep muscle tear. The orthopedic surgeon began with doing the surgery orthoscopically, but when he inserted the camera, he discovered way more damage than the MRI showed, so he had to do an open repair, so I have a 4" incision on top of my right shoulder joint, another 4" incision in my upper arm near the bicep, plus two smaller incisions of 1" in the front and back of the shoulder. The tear in my shoulder and bicep was so bad, that I needed four anchor screws inserted into my upper arm to use as anchors for sewing the tendons down. Recovery is extremely painful. I had the surgery on 29 May 18. I'm in an immobilizer sling for four more weeks. I go to PT three times a week. I can only use my left arm and use my right hand and forearm to the elbow sparingly. No amount of Norco worked, so now I'm on 10/325 Percocet and Gabapentin. The Gabapentin is for the sharp, shooting pains radiating from the back of my cervical spine, down both arms, and into my hands.

I'll be the first to admit that I've had dreams where I would be going to set up for a wedding, and something would happen along the way, plus some other dreams.

Mentally, I'm not as stressed out as I used to be and don't experience "burn out" anymore. Physiologically, I'm eating healthy, home cooked meals, and not any fast food in the wee hours of the morning. I lost nearly 30 lbs by eating less fatty and salty foods. The result also shows that my cholesterol has dropped to 160 from 330, my BP is normal, and I've been able to maintain my Type II Diabetes and keep my levels between 102-110.

It's completely over for me as a Mobile DJ.

Mark Evans

Mobile Beat Moderator
Staff member
It's interesting that I am in semi retirement and now will do limited shows. Just realized a few weeks ago while talking to another DJ that I'm not spending any time emailing, calling, going to meetings, planning I just have more time to do other stuff. I know we've said for years that we spend a lot of time doing this but once you stop you realize how much you really did spend on it.

Cap

Always At Your Service
I kind of agree with you, Mark. The amount of time, money, and angst once thought necessary to fuel the business engine was, in actuality, more a psychological need than a result producing activity.

The "busier I kept myself, the more robust the business would have to be", was more justification than anything other measurable.

The hardest, most draining process was always the next level of reinvention of business self when in reality the supposed need was self-made social media peer group pressure. Somehow I lost sight of those original strengths and qualities that led to the initial success, which is where the focus should've remained.

No regrets, but I certainly would've ignored the flap & hooks. Then again, with all that extra free time, I might've blown my retirement funds on more toys.

bb

Forgetfulness is not necessarily the sign of age. For 30 years, I've struggled to remember the B & G's first names during the event. Before? After? No problem. During? I've had to take to using a felt tip pen and writing their names in huge letters in several blank spaces on the planner/itinerary.

Because I became extremely conscious about avoiding the repetitive verbalizing "Ladies & Gentlemen" and "the Bride and Groom" 30 or more years ago, it is frustrating not to be able to have their names roll off my tongue without queue cards.

What I am finding in performance due to advanced chronological status is forgetting an artist name or song title that I'd like to play in the next 30 seconds and end up grabbing something equivalent from a side list until the name/title does drop back into my head.
I just forgot what you said, please repeat that :)

bb

Well, once I did my last gig on 31 Jan 16, retired, and sold all of my equipment, I turned the DJ switch off. After 23 years of lugging equipment, it took a toll on me mentally, physically, and physiologically. There were only a few brief moments where I considered coming out of retirement, buying all new equipment, and starting all over...but I know physically I just can't do it anymore.

Since I retired, I've had a Nissen Fundoplication for a severe sliding hiatial hernia. Surgery on my left and right foot for Mortons Neuroma and hammer toes, which brought to a total of eight surgeries on my feet since 1987. Total reconstructive surgery on my nose where a silicone implant was inserted because a severe staph infection from a previous rhinoseptoplasty completely devoured cartilage in my nose. Also a minor revision to remove bone fragments that worked its way to the outer portion of my nose near my eyes. Cervical Spine surgery to fuse C4-C5 together after the disc completely collapsed, causing severe pain, tingling, and numbness in both arms. Carpal Tunnel Release in my right hand which was caused by the nerves in my neck being pinched together. And I just had my right shoulder repaired for a completely torn rotator cuff tear and also a bicep muscle tear. The orthopedic surgeon began with doing the surgery orthoscopically, but when he inserted the camera, he discovered way more damage than the MRI showed, so he had to do an open repair, so I have a 4" incision on top of my right shoulder joint, another 4" incision in my upper arm near the bicep, plus two smaller incisions of 1" in the front and back of the shoulder. The tear in my shoulder and bicep was so bad, that I needed four anchor screws inserted into my upper arm to use as anchors for sewing the tendons down. Recovery is extremely painful. I had the surgery on 29 May 18. I'm in an immobilizer sling for four more weeks. I go to PT three times a week. I can only use my left arm and use my right hand and forearm to the elbow sparingly. No amount of Norco worked, so now I'm on 10/325 Percocet and Gabapentin. The Gabapentin is for the sharp, shooting pains radiating from the back of my cervical spine, down both arms, and into my hands.

I'll be the first to admit that I've had dreams where I would be going to set up for a wedding, and something would happen along the way, plus some other dreams.

Mentally, I'm not as stressed out as I used to be and don't experience "burn out" anymore. Physiologically, I'm eating healthy, home cooked meals, and not any fast food in the wee hours of the morning. I lost nearly 30 lbs by eating less fatty and salty foods. The result also shows that my cholesterol has dropped to 160 from 330, my BP is normal, and I've been able to maintain my Type II Diabetes and keep my levels between 102-110.

It's completely over for me as a Mobile DJ.
You can do it, just cue up the song, I Like Dreamin'- Kenny Nolan
In the meantime, stay healthy and dance!

I miss the actual DJing.
I don't miss what Cap has so aptly described as "the amount of...angst once thought necessary to fuel the business engine"
I don't miss the load-ins in July, or December, the pitch meetings, the sales meetings, the planning meetings, the expos, the follow up sales calls, the Mitzvah moms, the mothers of the bride, the Bride-zillas, etc.

It's nice now that when "Celebration", "Cotton Eyed Joe", or many other Stock DJ songs come on the radio, I no longer have the visceral, seizure like, knee jerk reaction to immediately change the station as if the doing so would disarm a nuclear bomb threatening North America which is set to detonate in the next 3 seconds. I actually have "fallen in love again" with more than a few classic DJ songs again. -Z-

Ausumm

Glad to see I am not the only guy who does this.
I used to write the B/G names on an index card and stick it on my mixer.
I am horrible with remembering names, even two seconds after they introduced themselves.

What I am finding in performance due to advanced chronological status is forgetting an artist name or song title that I'd like to play in the next 30 seconds
Ditto again.
And it's always the PERFECT song to play next. But, by the time you remember what song it was,
you've already started playing a different song, which is not having the same effect as the song you SHOULD be playing right now.

I really do wish I could blame it on age,
but my short term memory has always been bad.
Yet, I still remember phone numbers of childhood friends that I haven't seen in decades.

bill_smith

MobileBeat Moderator
Staff member
I am so far loving not having to go out all day on a Saturday, and recover Sunday. I am working on the senior singing thing, and am designing a small portable 5 minute set up for 1 hour sing-alongs in Senior citizen homes. It's a Win-Win-Win situation:

They get to hear someone sing who has a reasonable degree of competence and ability.
I get to sing, which I love above all other entertainment activities,
AND, I can audition for places to stay when I get older! :hp23::hp4::hp13::hp16::hp19:

NickyB

Gear and Equipment Moderator
You go Cap ...... I do pretty much the same thing down here in Florida! I'm in a beautiful 55+ community, screened in, in-ground pool and if I cross the street from the back of my house, I'm at the golf course club house, restaurant/bar, practice green and the largest of our 4 ballroom/pool facilities. I think I may have driven almost 4.5K miles in the last two years so my 2012 Toyota Highlander has a whopping 23K miles on it. I pay HOA fees so the community keeps up the exterior ...... "no lawn/garden work!" As for DJ'ing, I'm averaging roughly 1.2 gigs/month using a very small EV ZXA-1 system (just the tops for most gigs).

When I left the very real hustle and bustle of the DJ business over ten years ago to concentrate on karaoke, I found my mental fatigue all but disappeared. As a karaoke host, I get to see many of the same faces every week, and as a result, I've been able to remember pretty-much all of our "regulars" names and the new faces after a couple of appearances. They've become almost like family.

I've hired a roadie who is only too happy to do the heavy lifting, thus limiting the toll on this 73-year-old body. Twice each week I get to visit and kibitz with friends, sing a song or two, meet and make new friends... and get paid to do it. True, karaoke doesn't pay much more than half what I would make doing wedding receptions, but then, I only have to do a tenth of the work.

Another advantage... a karaoke host needs to keep up a decent library, but nowhere near that required of the mobile DJ. The transition from mobile DJ to karaoke host was one of the best decisions I could have made.

I'll probably retire someday... perhaps in another 7 years (at 80)... or when, as has often been said "when they pry that microphone from my cold, dead hands".

Cheers from Southwest Ontario, Canada
Earl.

bb

That Canadian water is keeping you healthy. Keep at it.

I walk (semi-jog) 6-9 miles a day. That helps keep my energy level and stamina up.

DJing is still massive guys. Have you guys heard of EDM or what? Yeah they might not use turntables but still. Did you know the CEO of Goldman Sachs is a real DJ! He even released a track. Google his story, it's fascinating.