High School Dance tonight!

Discussion in 'Event Specialties' started by dscott, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dscott

dscott Member

I've got a high school dance tonight that I've done for the last couple of years. The kids love me because I play music that they love. The administrators love me because I have a really good understanding of what's "over the line" music wise.
    My question is what can I do to take it to the next level? Do any of you get interactive at school events? Do you use party favors?
    Thanks for any input. I've been lurking here for years but would like to get more involved.

Dan

2. JMM773

JMM773 Member

*with a loop playing* "What's up everybody, my name's dj maestro and i'll be mixing up your requests all night long........ let me ask you real quick...
    Where my freshmen at????
    *noise*
    Where my sophomores at????
    *noise*
    Where my juniors at????
    *noise*
    *cut music altogether and pause*
    WHERE MY SENIORS AT?"

Adjust as you feel necessary based upon who you feel is present at the dance. I usually do under to upper classmen in that order, but it may need to be the other way around if seniors don't go to the dances.

Play sandstorm. Right around the middle where it bangs and then gets super low, I tell everyone to get low (and even get out there with them). As the music rises, we rise with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxaCpXqh65k

That's about as interactive as I get. But I will get them to throw their hands in the air every now and again.

3. dscott

dscott Member

Thanks Jason! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm wondering about.

4. dscott

dscott Member

Another question on this same line of thought...
    Does anyone have suggestions for keeping things fresh when you do the same schools for several years? My dance tonight is a coming home dance, and i also did their homecoming dance a few months ago.
    I fear that a suggestion like Jason's would really pump them up the first time but seem too routine if done at the next dance.
    Thoughts?

5. JMM773

JMM773 Member

lol not very creative with their names are they haha

the sandstorm bit may not be fresh if done every dance, but shoutouts to the classes always works in my experience.

have you thought about offering different lighting for different themes with their events?

chris from high impact djs and arnoldo should chime in. also bob dietrich & nicky used to do a lot of big dances and may have some ideas as well..

others chime in... i'm just bored, so i'm answering! lol

6. robertbenda

robertbenda Active Member

From the low-impact side of things, I've done the same two schools' dances for over a decade. Other than an intro and asking for requests, etc., I keep my mouth shut and just play good music. I usually do a bigger light rig and screens at homecoming, one black light dance in the winter, and at one other do up light style par cans tied to my riased lights so they also go to the beat of the music. So some variety but nothing entirely impressive - I'm not allowed to use fog.

7. dscott

dscott Member

Yeah, the names are not very creative at all. I really like the idea of offering different lighting options. I think the black light option would be very easy to sell.

8. djstevieray

djstevieray Somewhere On Hoth

Well around this time of year find out how their Basteball teams, Wrestling team are doing, and reference them, especially if they won last nights game, or have a big game coming up, that gets the kids geared up as well.

"I want to congradulate the Warrington High School Team for qualifying for the district 11 championship.....Go Warriors!"
    or
    "I want to wish the Warriors luck against (the cross town rival) Roughies in tomorrows game. ROUGH UP THE ROUGHIES!!!!!"

9. dscott

dscott Member

Stevie, this idea is perfect for tonight. The dance is immediately following tonight's basketball game.

10. dscott

dscott Member

Speaking of which it's time to sign off and go set up!

11. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner School Dance Moderator

Ahh, yes, keeping things fresh...

- Try a celebrity appearance or radio personality appearance. Doesn't have to be all night... and they don't need to spin or anything. The dance will get a lot of street credibility and people will talk about it... before, during, and after the dance.

- Offer online requests before the dance. The DJ Intelligence request system is my fav. I have postcards I can print the school's information for requests so they can pass out to students.

- Lunch DJ services. No, doesn't really help freshen up the dance, but adds extra value to your service. Exposure, too. (Combine that with promoting the point listed above.)

- Change your setup. Maybe even change where you set up (though, often this wouldn't make a lot of sense).

- Run a social networking contest by creating a FB fan page. Have different levels of "likes" for the dance and at each level offer something free. (100 likes, 100 glow sticks... 200 likes, 20 T shirts... whatever) Now, you have the potential target this audience in the future, too.

- I've definitely done the grade level interaction... freshman, sophmores, etc. You might try a variant of that even and simply see which side of the gym can be the loudest. Properly placed, asking the ladies (even single ladies) to make some noise can also be effective depending on the song

- If the school has a big rival, you might try to rip on them a little. Don't just say "rival school sucks". You might say, "rival school only wishes they had this much fun at their school dance". Done well, you'll get a good cheer and also do so tactfully.

Keep adding yours...

12. dscott

dscott Member

Chris, those are very cool ideas. I really like the Facebook and lunchtime ideas.

The dance went great last night with a couple of small surprises.
    1. Megaseg lagged so badly that I had to restart it. I've been running megaseg since 2006 and this is the first problem I've ever had.
    2. I blew the fuse for my fans in my matrix 2000 and the sub amp went into protection.

It must have been a full moon last night because I never have any trouble with megaseg or my matrix system!

13. fbeweds

fbeweds New Member

school dance enhancements

We're doing a prom next month and they picked the black light white glove package along with the the TV package.

I agree with some others here. think about adding some new lighting or lightscape enhancements. We offer laser lights show, Full room multi-upllighting , Space lighting and more. along with us mixing it up and being on the mic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.