HD mix HD replacement issue.

djgulfcoast

Mobile DJ Alabama
Hello. I have an Numark HDMIX that I need to set up a new external drive. I just set up a XP compatible 4TB drive NTFS external and the HDMIX will not read it. Any Idea why it is not working. Thank you.

bill_smith

MobileBeat Moderator
Staff member
I would contact Numark. What size was the old external hard drive? Perhaps the "XP" compatible feature will not support that size of drive. I had thought that the max HD size for XP compatible was maybe 1 TB, or 750 at most. You may need to revisit the HD size.

djgulfcoast

Mobile DJ Alabama
Thanks everyone. Called Numark today and they said OS should not matter. They suggested going with Exfat instead of NTSF formatting (The manual says to format FAT 32 - Which is not an option on this drive). If that doesn't work, I'll try partitioning. The working drive I'm currently using is a 1TB, and my replacement is a 4TB.

djgulfcoast

Mobile DJ Alabama
Bill & caop,

It looks like 1TB is going to be the limit. I tried to partition a 4TB (formatted for FAT 32) to two 1TB partitions (left the rest of the drive unused), and it did recognize the drive and loaded (and played) titles. However, at times when loading a file the cut playing goes silent for a half a second. It looks like the drive might be too big to keep up with the buffer. If someone has a 2TB drive and a HDMIX I would like to see if a smaller drive would work.

NUMARK said the HDMIX has no dedicated OS.

Doe anyone know if something like the HDMIX is available? Note the CDMIX was suggested, but it only plays MP3 files, 90% of our music is .wav.

Vendors, it is something you might look at doing when you create a new product line. The HDMIX was compact and with two powered speakers it was good to go. No laptop needed.

Last edited:

Cap

Always At Your Service
Most 4TB drives are for archival/raid purposes and are notoriously slow. Have you ever considered a 1 or 2 TB SSD? The prices have dropped like a rock and the speed should offset the drag of those huge .wav files.

I would contact Numark. What size was the old external hard drive? Perhaps the "XP" compatible feature will not support that size of drive. I had thought that the max HD size for XP compatible was maybe 1 TB, or 750 at most. You may need to revisit the HD size.
Agreed.

Numark guys are one of the most knowledgeable. Like little math scientists or something :) - If you're issue still doesn't get resolved, I 100% support @Cap's advice.

2TB is the way to go (Less complicated). After selling your 4tb though.

Most 4TB drives are for archival/raid purposes and are notoriously slow. Have you ever considered a 1 or 2 TB SSD? The prices have dropped like a rock and the speed should offset the drag of those huge .wav files.
Guess the 2 TB SSD route is the best way. A buddy of mine is looking at the same setup, we'll just finish installing the new rack and tonneau covers on his current truck project before we proceed with the HDMIX setup.