Do you use an iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

Things have changed so rapidly in the last handful of years - I have to concentrate to try to keep up - and then it's only with some things.

Is an iPad worthwhile?

If you have one, how do you use it for your business?

Marketing? E-mails? DJ'ing? Lighting?

ipad-gizmodo1.jpg

bjojade

The iPad is simply AWESOME. With over 400,000 apps to choose from, it can be used for darned near everything.

From checking email, to controlling my mixer, to controlling the lights in my house, to controlling DMX lighting, to watching TV (at home and on the road from my computer) to just about anything I think I need right at the moment, the iPad doesn't fail.

And I don't know how much RAM it has, or what processor it has or any of that stuff, because it doesn't really matter if it works. The Android stuff on the market focuses on the raw specs, but that's akin to comparing powered speakers by how many peak watts they claim. In reality, there are many other factors that go into determining how well it works.

Oh, and another thing is the accessories and integration that you get with the iPad. Need a case, yeah, there's about a million to choose from. Want to dock it with something, yeah, you can usually do that. Want an app that integrates with your other device? Chances are, the iPad app will be there before an android app.

Need to go to a website with Flash content? Yeah, here's where you can get an Android device. But if you've ever actually used an Android device on a Flash site, you'll just end up wasting more time because Flash barely works if at all. Then you'll be searching for another site anyway.

Scott Hanna

I use my iPad every day. I find it easier to read and respond to email than my smart phone.

Great for meetings and presentations with clients....taking notes.....showing pictures

At events, I have all of my planners and mc presentations on the iPad, I can make changes very easily, and then things that need to be read go on teleprompter app which shows the words in very large lighted letters instead of trying to read a typed page with written changes in low light.
It's a remote control, allowing me to completely control my computer from anywhere in the room

Personal......watch Netflix on my iPad

thebobster

Things have changed so rapidly in the last handful of years - I have to concentrate to try to keep up - and then it's only with some things.

Is an iPad worthwhile?

If you have one, how do you use it for your business?

Marketing? E-mails? DJ'ing? Lighting?
I just bought a refurbished Ipad (original version) on Apple's web site for $349. It looks brand new!

I installed the "Deejay" app, and am having a ball! :)

I'm tempted to try it out at a gig this weekend.

RhinoRider

I attended a wedding reception, the DJ was the grooms brother. I walked by the DJ table and all he had was an I-Pad a 2 channel Mackie mixer, 2 k-12's..

I thought to myself what the flip..

Tim English

I have an iPad 2. It's ok, but it's frustrating that it lacks some really basic features that I use every day on my Droid. The update in the Fall will go a long way to catch up with Android.

I have three recommendations. . .

1. If you can wait until the Fall, it might be worth the wait. There are rumors from a few sources that there will be a new iPad released at the same time as the software update. Not an iPad 3, but more like an iPad2+. The difference would just be a higher resolution screen. Apple did something similar when they released the iPhone 3Gs in between the 3 and 4.

2. Get the one with 3G and pay for a data plan if you can. I got the wifi only version because my Droid phone is a wifi hotspot. However, I have to turn the hotspot on and off, which is an extra step when I want to use my iPad. Ideally, with 3G, I could answer a phone call anywhere, open my iPad and be in business instantly. I could check Gigbuilder, search email, view my Google task list etc while on the phone without thinking about turning the hotspot on. I'm seriously considering giving this one to my wife and getting a 3G for myself in the fall.

3. Forget about Android tablets for now. While Android is a far superior experience on a phone than iOS, the tablet hardware sucks!

Last edited:

maestro

No iPad, no iPod, no iPhone no problem.
No Apple software of any kind on my computers.
I have seen it on my son's PC and it takes over; no thanks.
Apple is evil.

JameyBrock

Old Lighting Guy
I have an iPad, and use SyntheFX Luminair DMX control software on it, all the time. Demos, and just for controlling some DMX stuff I have around the house.

I also have found it to be very useful for document viewing and creation, and even to access all my PC's docs, as well.

Yep, I really like it, and am finding more purposeful uses on a daily basis. At first I thought it was going to be just a cool gadget, and I have found that I no longer need to travel with a laptop, any longer. Lightens my load for carry ons through the airports, for sure.

Plus I can see all of my attachments for email better than on any smartphone.

Mark Evans

Mobile Beat Moderator
Staff member
Must be a West Coast thing. ;)
Gotta be a west coast thing. I now have bought 3 ipod touch's, ipod nano, macbook pro, macbook, 2 imacs and just recently added the iphone. I have not had any problems with any of these items. I don't know how Apple is evil. The products are innovative and reliable. I have yet to find a need for an ipad but maybe in the future. If Microsoft would get rid of virus, spyware, adware, maleware, blue screens of death, rebooting, trails, tighten up the code, manufactures would get rid of bloatware, trialware..... I may get a PC again. :)

Scott Hanna

2. Get the one with 3G and pay for a data plan if you can. I got the wifi only version because my Droid phone is a wifi hotspot. However, I have to turn the hotspot on and off, which is an extra step when I want to use my iPad. Ideally, with 3G, I could answer a phone call anywhere, open my iPad and be in business instantly. I could check Gigbuilder, search email, view my Google task list etc while on the phone without thinking about turning the hotspot on. I'm seriously considering giving this one to my wife and getting a 3G for myself in the fall.
!
Instead of paying for 3g service on the ipad, I got a 4g wifi card, that way I can get 4g wifi speed on my ipad, PLUS use for 4 other devices at the same time, like a laptop at an event. The "extra" step is touching one button.

it's a little more price wise, but the faster speed is worth it and I get much more use out of it.

bjojade

Instead of paying for 3g service on the ipad, I got a 4g wifi card, that way I can get 4g wifi speed on my ipad, PLUS use for 4 other devices at the same time, like a laptop at an event. The "extra" step is touching one button.

it's a little more price wise, but the faster speed is worth it and I get much more use out of it.
Yeah, but the downside is that you have to carry (and keep charged) an extra piece with you.

I can't wait until the day that carriers offer shared data plans for multiple devices. Pay for the amount of bandwidth that you use, not by the number of devices you own. They kind of have that with the WIFI cards, but why not let each device talk to the tower?

Scott Hanna

Yeah, but the downside is that you have to carry (and keep charged) an extra piece with you.

I can't wait until the day that carriers offer shared data plans for multiple devices. Pay for the amount of bandwidth that you use, not by the number of devices you own. They kind of have that with the WIFI cards, but why not let each device talk to the tower?
I agree
Verizon has that somewhat with smartphone/hotspot deal 4gig of data for $50. Use it all on the smartphone or all on all as hotspot....or any combo of the 2

DJBusyB

I use mine for prospect meetings. I have several videos showing footage of some of the unique things I have done for past clients. When a prospect says "Well...we want to do something like....." and I can show them a video, it usually gets the booking.

Remember, it is another 'tool' we can utilize. Do you think the guy with the hammer said "Why would I ever need a nail gun?".

Brian

skeeter

I use my ipad to dj smaller events using the Alesis IO dock and djay software. When i bring my bigger rig out, my ipad is used to follow my events etc... It also serves as my way of dowloading songs that I might need on the fly. Once downloaded, i sync it and voila, it is accessible to all of my dj software.

unlimitedsounds

I dont hate apple (I have bought 3 or 4 Ipods and just recently bought the iPod touch).. HOWEVER... Im not a BIG iPAD fan... WHY, no flash.. I dont care what people say about "you dont need flash" ... UNTIL that day comes, then yes you do... Here is a good story... My Uncle came to visit this past Christmas from Cali.. One of the things he does is Real Estate.... He wanted to show us a house is was selling... SO, one of my other relatives pulled out their Ipad.. we tried to load the site.. NADA.. NOTHING... Why? it was a flash slide show...FLASH is what the real estate site uses for their slide shows and video clips... I pulled out my EVO 4G (of course much smaller screen) and we were able to see the site.. We actually ended up going into another room to a PC to see the house for sale.....

Also with the iPad, there is no way to use external memory (SD CARDS), and no USB ports... Also people are using the iPAD to DJ but using MONO outputs.. I dont like that.

digitalphantoms

Let me ask the guys that use Ipads a couple of questions. I am seriously considering buying two of them for 1 purpose only. That is for my corporate events that need the use of 2 podium screen monitors to be able to see the powerpoint without turning around and looking at the screen. Here is what I am currently using: 2 very slim flat panel monitors (15") and a wireless presentation advancer. This gets the job done, but also makes the presenter have to stay at the podium. I want portability. Plus I don't want to run 2 vga cables to each podium anymore.

So, here is what I am trying to accomplish. 1. 2 ipads would have to simultaneously connect to the same PC to be able to view and control the the PC. (advance the powerpoint slides). 2. Would have to have at least an 8 hour battery time without fail! 3. Would have to be able to see the entire screen of the desktop of the PC without scrolling around. AND it would have to be 100% mission critically reliable, no pauses, disconnects, etc. Do any of you guys believe 2 Ipads could accomplish this? If so, how (what apps, hardware etc, would be necessary?)

Status
Not open for further replies.