crown amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
:?: I just purchsed a used crown amplifier for $ 100.00. It is a Power base 1. I think it is a 450 watt amplifier. The man said that it worked, so I, believed him. Well one channel does not work.
is this amp worth repairing?
should I just use one channel?

I also got stuck with a Peavey CS 800 for $ 100.00. One channel does not work on this one either! Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

DJMC

well.....you can always use them as door stops!

IMO neither is "worth" fixing, but when you do the cost will end up being what you would have paid for the price of TWO brand new CROWN amps.

For example: Right now you can get TWO Crown XLS-402 amps (much better than EITHER of these used amps) at www.pssl.com for $274 apiece or $550 for the pair.

You spent $100 on the Crown. Will cost $200 to fix TOTAL $300
you spent $100 on the Peavey. Will cost $200 to fix --TOTAL $300

TOTAL SPENT ON CRAPPY USED AMPS: $600
length of guarantee on repairs: 90 days on repaired channels ONLY

TOTAL SPENT AT WWW.PSSL.COM FOR NEW CROWN AMPS: $550
shipping cost : zero (pssl gives free shipping on orders $199 and up!)
length of warranty on amps: THREE YEAR WARRANTY

so, to summarize.....

pay $550 for two NEW AMPS with 3 year warranty.

or, pay $400 for repairs and *hope* they make it thru 90 days.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS!

Comparing a XLS to a PB1 is like comparing appels to oranges. The PB1 is a much better amplifier.

I would atleast see how much it may cost to get it fixed. Also depending on how old the Peavey is I would check into getting that fixed as well. Those are both solid performers that have been around for years. Even if it cost you another $100.00 each to get those amps fixed you got a good deal, and a much better amplifier in my O.

stupid question,,,,,but is it possible that the "bridge switch mode" is ON?
would this only allow the #1 channel to work?
just thought i'd throw it out...i've got crown ce1000 amps, and i know they have the switch on the back.

djbleach said:
just thought i'd throw it out...i've got crown ce1000 amps, and i know they have the switch on the back.
It's possible depending upon how you have it all configured.

Dave Nye is absolutely correct, the Power Base-1 is a few steps above the XLS series...and regardless of what some may tell you, the CS-800 while not the cleanest amp around, is certainly one heckuva workhorse amp! I'd first make sure you have these amps configured correctly before going any further...let us know and we'll go from there. Even if you do have a bad channel, it might be something simpler and much less expensive to repair...the Power Base-1 is NOT a crappy amplifier!

djbleach said:
I was thinking the same thing in my head, the power base 1 should be 450 watts only in bridge mono, it's not a powerful amp at all to my knowledge but still a reliable and decent amp nonetheless, check the back!

HERE WHA GWAN ull3030

See the Crown Powerbase 1 wattage yah

200 watts x 2 in 8 ohms

240 watts x 2 in 4 ohms

I here a brother say something bout bridge mode, and, having one channel work. My youte, both output channels will play in Bridge Mode.

Whether you connect the speakers stereo mode, or bridge mode, you
will hear sound from both channels output seen.

Yo Big And Serious Now!

ull3030 check and see if the Crown set to "Parallel Mono" Its the ONLY
WAY you ago get sound from one channel seen.

You never know Crown and Omnifex a best friend? ;)

DJBusyB

FWIW: I love my crown PB-series amps! I bought a PB-1 back in '88 when I was robbed and had to replace gear. Later I bought a 460-CSL (commercial version of the PB1, I think), then just this past year I bought a PB-3 and a PB-2. Sure, these are older Amps, but they do kick some d@mn sound out on my JBL speakers.

I'd be interested in knowing what it costs to fix the PB-1. I've been using mine since October 1988 without any problems.

The manual for that amp is available at http://www.crownaudio.com - and here is the direct link to the PDF -> http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/101229.pdf

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.