Best or Worst Best Man Speech Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waasta

Account Closed
That actually amused me quite a bit! Boo to the mom that interrupted it. I say so long as it was an adults-only reception that was an EPIC speech. :D

Maverick

Pumping It Up
HAHA ..I would go either way on that speech..Funny yet somewhat HBO rated....what would have you done if you were the DJ in that room controlling the mic....

djmbr01

Account Closed
That actually amused me quite a bit! Boo to the mom that interrupted it. I say so long as it was an adults-only reception that was an EPIC speech. :D
EPICally immature, juvenile, unnecessary, selfish, etc.

It was clearly disrespectful to at least one adult, and I'd wager more, and I applaud that Mom/Woman who possessed the ethical strength and moral convictions, that were so apparently lacking in any one else in attendance, to shut down that meaningless and inappropriate waste of time.

That would have ended substantially sooner had that been my daughter's reception...and BOO to the groom for sitting there and letting that continue.

....what would have you done if you were the DJ in that room controlling the mic....
My rig, my contract, that would get potted down.

Fortunately, that speech would likely never make it through the planning and prep stages of a reception I am contracted to manage and for which I agree to perform.

P.S. It still seems like a fake video.

Last edited:

bill_smith

MobileBeat Moderator
Staff member
Back in September of 2000, I was the DJ for a rescue wedding, where one of my DJ friends was assisting in the delivery of his first child. He sent me all of the information. This was a Celtic style wedding, complete with eltic wear. I was with two of my friends coworkers, who ran light and sound while I emceed. it looked like a scene out of Animal house.

The Best man was the scheduled speaker, and he was lit up like the 4th of July. I remember this so vividly, because of how shocking it was.

"I just want to say congratulations to you both, and a special note to you(addressingthe bride)...if for any reason my brother is unable to completely satisfy you tonight, I'll be two floors up, and don't mind sloppy seconds".

I signalled for some music, and got this mic away from him as gracefully as possible, and moved on to the cake cutting.

You could have heard a pin drop when I announced the Cake cutting..

The father of the groom was later seen smacking the crap out of his Best man son outside in a vestibule at the Hotel.

That was the worst one I've ever seen or been a part of. nothing since then has ever remotely come close. I've learned to ask my cleints if there is someone who should not be allowed to speak, and it's been relatively smooth sailingsince.

waasta

Account Closed
EPICally immature, juvenile, unnecessary, selfish, etc.

It was clearly disrespectful to at least one adult, and I'd wager more, and I applaud that Mom/Woman who possessed the ethical strength and moral convictions, that were so apparently lacking in any one else in attendance, to shut down that meaningless and inappropriate waste of time.

That would have ended substantially sooner had that been my daughter's reception...and BOO to the groom for sitting there and letting that continue.

My rig, my contract, that would get potted down.

Fortunately, that speech would likely never make it through the planning and prep stages of a reception I am contracted to manage and for which I agree to perform.

P.S. It still seems like a fake video.
Who are you to proclaim yourself as the moral police? What if the groom was expecting (and perhaps even dare I say looking forward) to such a speech? What if most everyone in the room knew that Ron the best man was a stand up comic (wanna-be or otherwise) and would most likely do something like this? The DJ in this scenario did exactly what he should have done--stay the hell out of it. It's not our problem, and futhermore, what if the B&G were enjoying that (I know my wife and I would have thought that was hilarious) and you decided to cut his mic? ALWAYS better to let someone else intervene, especially if it's a toast.

I'm totally with Bill in that I always ask who is approved (and more importantly NOT approved) to be on the mic. No one touches it unless they are on my OK list. I've never had a problem. And if this guy were on my OK list, the show goes on, just like what happened in the video.

djmbr01

Account Closed
Who are you to proclaim yourself as the moral police?
I did not.

The question, "Best or Worst Best Man Speech Ever?," posed to all that elect to respond requires an answer that includes personal judgments, i.e. morals. Yours is apparently different than mine.

What if the groom was expecting (and perhaps even dare I say looking forward) to such a speech?
As I said, I would know about it prior to and could/would have opted out. If it were outside the expectations and plans of the clients, POT DOWN!

I realized that some don't get as involved in the planning and prep, and are not commensurately compensated, as much as others are, but I was not answering for them. I do not possess that authority.

ALWAYS better to let someone else intervene, especially if it's a toast.
You mean like a ipod or a juke box would do.

P.S. Someone did intervene, see insulted and offended woman in the white sequined top and black skirt.

djstevieray

Somewhere On Hoth
So mbr,
You must pre-approve every Best Man's toast? A little egotistical aren't we. I have never seen any prepared toasts, before it starts spewing from the mouth of the Best Man, or whomever else may be giving the toast. And I have seen my fair share of **** heads on the mic.

I defer the censorship to my B&G. You know the ones with their names on my contract. The contract that said I ONLY take orders from them. If they don't give me a cut sign, it goes on. and yes I do inform my clients that if anyone ever goes somewhere they don't want them to on the mic, to make the universal cut sign, and then the mic is off.

On a side note. I heard the PA/NJ references. And must say that the voice of the MC was VERY familiar. I think I might know who it was, and I will check with him.

Jason Cathcart

I didn't think he was funny. That said, it could be funny material in the right setting being told by someone with good comic timing. In a comedy club. Just not at a wedding.

It seemed obvious to me that the Bride & Groom knew to expect something like this.

Now how about we talk about the DJ's segue at the end?

djmbr01

Account Closed
So mbr,
You must pre-approve every Best Man's toast?
A little presumptive aren't you. But to answer your "question", no I do not require it, but I have substantial experience and enough to know it is better to know than to guess.

However, I would know if toasts are expected and by whom so that my clients are not surprised with unexpected and/or unwanted speeches on their special day. We establish this long before the day of because Uncle Jack Daniels and Aunt Chardonnay always seem to need the mic. If my clients say no, I comply.

Once established and with my client's approval and knowledge, I contact the expected speech givers to introduce myself to inform them of the circumstances, tentative time they will be giving their speeches, any proposed/expected/allotted time length, the equipment they will be provided and if we determine if any special equipment or music is needed and to offer any guidance, tips or assistance with drafting and delivering their speeches. Often the speech givers have never done so and appreciate the help. Regardless, it is always an appreciated although not always utilized offer.

I have never seen any prepared toasts, before it starts spewing from the mouth of the Best Man, or whomever else may be giving the toast. And I have seen my fair share of **** heads on the mic.
Of course that is your experience if you do nothing to prevent it and your clients are not aware of and given option to avoid the potential.

I defer the censorship to my B&G. You know the ones with their names on my contract.
Do you even discuss it with them?

If not, I see more "**** heads on the mic" in your future.

The contract that said I ONLY take orders from them.
My clients sign a contract that doesn't bestow any order giving ability to any party. It creates a contractual relationship based on trust and mutual appreciation for expected results.

If they don't give me a cut sign, it goes on. and yes I do inform my clients that if anyone ever goes somewhere they don't want them to on the mic, to make the universal cut sign, and then the mic is off.
Cut signs are an act of desperation not celebration.

Once the "F" bomb explodes it is too late.

An ounce of prevention...

waasta

Account Closed
Who are you, DJMBR01? Are you truly new here or one of the people that were forced to create a new handle? Your answer dictates where I'm going with this.

djmbr01

Account Closed
Who are you, DJMBR01? Are you truly new here or one of the people that were forced to create a new handle? Your answer dictates where I'm going with this.
What?

Do your opinions actually depend on my station in this forum?

waasta matta wit chu? lol

waasta

Account Closed
What?

Do your opinions actually depend on my station in this forum?

waasta matta wit chu? lol
LOL, no, no they do not. BUT, if I like you I take a different approach. I needs to know!! I have a really good response in the bag...

djstevieray

Somewhere On Hoth
mbr,
I think you misread my response. I do know who my clients expect to give a toast. And if they tell me the best man is to give a toast as is the assumption of the best man giving the toast in the video, then he gives a toast, until the B or G express otherwise. As stated, how do you know if the Groom had an ideal about what was going to be said or not?

As far as the the poop heads that I have seen give toasts before, they were given permission to give a toast by the B&G before hand, in writing in our event planner. They write the names of who is to give the toast in the event planner, and I introduce them. If someone (often times the FOB will ask during the reception) asks to say a few words I will go to the B&G, and say so and so would like to say something, and I will defer to them.

I normally speak to the toast givers the day of, I do not call them out of the blue, IDK, but if someone called me and said they were the DJ for Jane and John Doe's Wedding, and that they had to pre-approve my toast. I would tell them to go take a long walk off of a short peer. Until anyone gets on the mic and opens their mouth, you never know what they are going to say. If I look at my B&G and they look uncomfortable I would cut off the toast giver.

nextgen1

The Next Generation DJ
It had some comedic value had it been in a different setting. Other wise just kind of dumb. I'm not sure I would have cut the mic. I have seen a few things during toasts. But like others have already said. I'm not the mic police, I know who will be toasting or speaking in advance. If this is the crap that they come up with then so be it, the bride and groom had a clue before he even started this toast. It's his personality type and I'm sure they knew him well. I'm also glad to see someone came up and stopped it. I've heard a couple F bombs dropped during the speech and it was the grooms type as well. They usually just smile and say "Yep that's my brother" or something to that effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.