40 Greatest Men of Country Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

djfatman

Marketing Moderator
I love it when these lists come out. CMT recently released their 40 Greatest Men of Country Music. What do you think? Agree or disagree?
(I know many of you could care less about Country music, but I thought this list was interesting)

1. Johnny Cash
2. Hank Williams
3. George Jones
4. Willie Nelson
5. Waylon Jennings
6. Merle Haggard
7. Garth Brooks
8. Conway Twitty
9. George Strait
10. Alan Jackson
11. Alabama
12. Buck Owens
13. Randy Travis
14. Roy Acuff
15. Elvis Presley
16. Bill Monroe
17. Vince Gill
18. Charley Pride
19. Kenny Rogers
20. Hank Williams, Jr.
21. Ernest Tubb
22. Eddy Arnold
23. Roger Miller
24. Flatt & Scruggs
25. Brooks & Dunn
26. Tim McGraw
27. Bob Wills
28. Chet Atkins
29. Glen Campbell
30. Ronnie Milsap
31. Lefty Frizzell
32. Charlie Daniels
33. Jimmie Rodgers
34. Eagles
35. Mel Tillis
36. Toby Keith
37. Ricky Skaggs
38. Gene Autry
39. Dwight Yoakam
40. Travis Tritt

Although, I like The Eagles and Elvis, somehow I just can't associate them with Country music. Plus, where is Hank Snow, Sonny James and Marty Robbins?

Bryan Durio

Music and Videos Moderator
Well, the Eagles started with a Country-Rock sound that evolved into more of a Rock sound, especially with the addition of Joe Walsh.

I tend to think of the category as involving single or duo acts, so I wouldn't really consider the group Alabama (or the Eagles) to be eligible. As a group, they were a major force in Country music in the '80s, but the casual listener would be hard pressed to name a single member of the band!

djfatman

Marketing Moderator
djstevieray said:
I am shocked that the man who sang "The Perfect Country & Western Song" did not make the list. Where is David Alan Coe?? :cry:
Probably a bit too contraversial, Stevie.

Plus, if you are going to include Alabama, then why not Oak Ridge Boys (they been around since the 30's, in one form or another), and the Statler Brothers? Surely these two groups have had a huge impact on Country Music - more so that some of the names who made the list.

DJRedfox

ProDJ.com Charter Member
Personally, I think that Kenny Chesney should be on there. He has already made a huge splash in the country music scene and I will tell you folks, that he isn't going home anytime soon. He is an incredible artist who is around to stay forever.

Smiles,
DJRedfox

M

Mark Beecher

It's a good list. I might substitute Tom T. Hall and Don Williams for a couple of um.

Status
Not open for further replies.