How Much Wattage is in Your Cottage?

What Wattage Do You Typically Run?

  • Approx 400 - 800 watts per channel

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Approx 800 - 1000 watts per channel

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Approx 1200 watts per channel or more

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    510
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddsdonald

DJ Website Designer SEO
Just wondering what the "average" wattage would be for commercial mobile DJs...

I know some of us may run more than others, but I am guessing that the majority of systems have approximately 400 watts per channel to the full ranges.

So, lets see who rules the roost in regards to amplification. :wink:
 

#1someguy

New Member
For subs/sats per side? or for just sats?

When I finish the system I plan to run 3200rms to the subs and 300-500 to the sats...bass heavy ;) but that's how the kids like it lol
 

Cap

Always At Your Service
I Lose.

Running tri-amped...250w max-tops, 250w max-mids, 250w max-subs per side. Wirelessly remote additional systems throughout the room if more sound coverage is needed. More watts!! is more what's??

(Heck, I thought that was clever!)
 

toddsdonald

DJ Website Designer SEO
Hmmm... Must be some MONSTER subs! Even the best passive EV subs run at only 1000 RMS give or take.
 

polarsounds

In Self-Imposed Exile
I run 550 watts per speaker on my mid/hi's (4 speakers, stereo 4^) and 1500 watts to each subwoofer (2 subs, mono 4^).
 

Cap

Always At Your Service
MONSTER subs

No, they aren't monster sized or monster power hungry by any standards.

The subs weigh 28 lbs and each amp can handle just two. They are 10.3" x 18.0" x 15.3". Rounding out the system, the tops weight 14.5 lbs, the mids weight 16.0 lbs, and the amps/speaker stands/eq/mic mixer altogether in one module weight 35 lbs.

Fortunately, I don't do the size shows most of you folks do, the average being 250 people, a few as small as 80, and once in a while 500, yet all the same system, all the time. As a solo-op with no assistants, and averaging 100+ mobile events a year, and sometimes having two events on a Saturday, makes being a mobile DJ (not an immobile DJ) crucial.

Let's see, that's 149 lbs per side separating into 5 easy-to-carry pieces, or, roughly 3.1786 ounces per watt per side. How about yours?
 

polarsounds

In Self-Imposed Exile
Re: MONSTER subs

Cap said:
Let's see, that's 149 lbs per side separating into 5 easy-to-carry pieces, or, roughly 3.1786 ounces per watt per side. How about yours?
I got a sub that weighs 150! :lol:
 

#1someguy

New Member
Re: MONSTER subs

polarsounds said:
Cap said:
Let's see, that's 149 lbs per side separating into 5 easy-to-carry pieces, or, roughly 3.1786 ounces per watt per side. How about yours?
I got a sub that weighs 150! :lol:

LoL that's what my single 15" subs weigh ... they take 1800rms each. Well the drivers are rated 1200rms each, but they only come alive when you stick more on them. Running a qsc rmx 1850hd bridged mono at 4 ohms on them :) Man these things rock. 10 feet away and I can pull high 120's to low 130's.
 

Cap

Always At Your Service
150 lb Speaker

Man, 150 lbs per speaker. Good Lord, that's heavy. 120-130!! Good Gosh, that's powerful. What sized ampitheater or stadium do you traditionally use these in? How many guys does it take to set you up? How much time for setup and then breakdown? What do you charge for event with this much vavoom? What did this stuff cost you? Ever get any customer complaints about sound levels being too loud?
 

#1someguy

New Member
Re: 150 lb Speaker

Cap said:
Man, 150 lbs per speaker. Good Lord, that's heavy. 120-130!! Good Gosh, that's powerful. What sized ampitheater or stadium do you traditionally use these in? How many guys does it take to set you up? How much time for setup and then breakdown? What do you charge for event with this much vavoom? What did this stuff cost you? Ever get any customer complaints about sound levels being too loud?

Gyms, Halls, wherever I have gain controls...doesn't mean I need to use all of it.

It's just me, or me and one other guy. No big deal.

Takes maybe half hour-hour for full setup, and half hour or so to pack up and load everything in the van.

Charge? Depends I suppose...prices aren't really finalized since I'm still building this system.

The subs? I build myself ... the drivers cost me approximately $350 CND each and the cabinets cost around $200 + time to build. So $550 cabinets :)

Turn it down? Sure ! It has happened...but don't we all get that? There's always someone who doesn't like it loud and complains. Clients usually tell me to turn things up (which I willingly do).


But like I said the system isn't finished yet. I only have one sub built and am going to be working on another two cabinets (going to redesign it to be slightly more efficient/more output per watt) So we'll see how it performs with a pair coupled sometime later this winter :)

http://someforum.net/sub/hpim0471.jpg
 

polarsounds

In Self-Imposed Exile
Solo setup. (Casters on the bottom.) Actually sets up very quickly. I've used them in school gymnasiums, a convention center, a bingo hall, and a community center. Pretty much anywhere that needs big sound. Cost per sub = $800 + shipping.

My customers have never complained about the volume, but their neighbors have. (Had the Juneau Police Department visit one of my University-hosted events.)
 

#1someguy

New Member
polarsounds said:
Solo setup. (Casters on the bottom.) Actually sets up very quickly. I've used them in school gymnasiums, a convention center, a bingo hall, and a community center. Pretty much anywhere that needs big sound. Cost per sub = $800 + shipping.

My customers have never complained about the volume, but their neighbors have. (Had the Juneau Police Department visit one of my University-hosted events.)
I wonder if he was talking to you or me?
 

maxx502

New Member
9600 watts total here. 2400 to the 4 top boxes and 7200 to the 4 subs. tops are EV. subs are T36's and power is provided by 3 Crown CE4000's. 2 are bridged for subs and the other one is stereo for the tops. Jeez I love headroom. wait for vruste to chime in, she runs close to 30,000 watts if I remember right.
 

Valerie Hicks

New Member
Our smallest systems run about 1200 watts RMS (300 wpc to 15" 2way hi + 300 wpc 18" subs). Our largest system runs 15600 watts total RMS (300 watts per driver; 12 x 3 way hipaks, 16 - 18" subs) or roughly 30,000 max. We have 3 systems in between. I didn't vote.

wait for vruste to chime in, she runs close to 30,000 watts if I remember right.
Maybe so, but it's really not a lot per channel; just a lot of channels. :wink: [/quote]
 

djcarl

Active Member
Tri-amped MAX output at 1% THD (really never had it this high).

2-Mackie 1400i's running stereo 400-500 WPC @ 4 ohms for mid & mid/hi packs
1-Mackie 1400i running mono bridged 1400 WPC @ 4 ohms for Subs.

Really total is 1000+400+400+400+400 = 2600 total peek for HS dance.
 

Cap

Always At Your Service
Home-built Subs

Beautiful piece of craftsmanship. Well done. Do you finish them with vinyl, carpet or paint?

Here's mine:

http://www.bose.com/controller;jsessionid=BZ1h3TG0wrDxTpjFjh2ywPy VW1ThTTVw5VFg3krBQx8BTnqjcfKB!103858704!-174109993?event=VIEW_ STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/musicians/solutions/index.jsp&linksource=rightna v_img_solutions&pageName=/musicians/index.jsp
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top