1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Wireless Speaker - Phonic

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by volcano, Mar 26, 2012.

1. volcano

volcano DJ

I had the old Phonic Wireless speaker that went through a concrete wall 100 feet away but it is in the illegal frequency range. I purchased a new Phonic with the updated frequency but it drops out at 25 feet and eventually lost the signal.! I exchanged it and the new one did the same thing.

I am looking for a similar setup. A small transmitter and receiver that does not run on batteries. i want to plug it in and not worry about how much battery power I have left. Any suggestions?

2. topdogdj

topdogdj Topdogdj

AudioTechnica 2000 or 3000 series lav system with the XLR adapter cable. I did a wireless remote speaker at a wedding last week. Worked flawless through 2 walls and 75 feet away.

3. volcano

volcano DJ

Is that battery operated?

4. topdogdj

topdogdj Topdogdj

Lav transmitter is battery operated, but you should easily get through a 6+ hour event with a fresh set of batteries. Why the concern?

5. BillESC

BillESC Member

Yes the Unipak transmitter is battery operated but I know a trick that will allow you to plug it into a standard outlet for battery free operation. :)

6. unlimitedsounds

unlimitedsounds Active Member

trick??? what kind of battery does it take? maybe i know a trick :)

7. volcano

volcano DJ

The concern is I don't want to worry about a battery going dead. Bill can you suggest the trick and a wireless setup for me?

8. volcano

volcano DJ

Billesc, so what is the trick? I am looking to buy a new wireless speaker setup.

9. BillESC

BillESC Member

Purchase a wooden dowel the diameter of a AA battery and cut two pieces to match the length of the AA's. Purchase a wall wart transformer of correct voltage. Clip the end plug off and split the wires. Attach the negative to one of the dowels and the positive to the other. Insert them in the corresponding directions indicated in the transmitter and close the door. Note, you may have to file or drill a small hole for the wire depending on the style of battery cover/door.

10. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

Get a wall wart of the correct voltage, clip and tin the leads and then tack solder them to the terminals inside the transmitter. Be mindful of the correct polarity.

11. volcano

volcano DJ

My transmitter takes 2 AA batteries. One AA battery is 1.5V, so do I need a wall wart transformer of 3 V?

12. BillESC

BillESC Member

Yes.

Either my or Nicky's way will work. Mine can be un-done allowing you to use the Unipak with batteries for other applications

13. Hits

Hits New Member

Never had a problem with my battery pack lasting through the event. It is sad though that the FCC banned the frequency range and changed to the current range. My wireless units don't have the range like the old ones.

14. digitalphantoms

digitalphantoms New Member

Yep, same situation for me... all the new frequency stuff from Phonic has terrible range.. I sent it back.. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't there still a couple few frequencies on the old units that are in good range? I would have to do some research, but I thought for sure there were a couple frequencies that were still ok...

15. BillESC

BillESC Member

I believe there is one usable frequency in the high 600's.