1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

whats the best KJ Program ?

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by Bill Page, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Page

Bill Page New Member

I'm looking for a new Program to Run my Karaoke....
    What's the Best KJ Songs or for karaoke song books...

I've heard that OTS Might have a karaoke program in spring of 2006. There's nothing on the Website, but I wondered if any one had heard about a OTS karaoke program....

Maybe it got started when one KJ didn't want another to know his secrets.
    "Oh, I'm running a program called OTS Karaoke....." knowing his buddy would be chasing his tail to try and find it
  2. bill_smith

bill_smith Mobile beat Moderator Staff Member

what the heck are you talking about?

If you've got an axe to grind, spit it out. otherwise leave off with the vague accusations.

For Songbooks.

KJPRO. kjpro.com

For karaoke I saw Tricerasoft at the convention. Very very nice.
  3. DannyG2006

DannyG2006 New Member

I don't know about OtS having a karaoke program but you are going to find a lot of different opinions on this subject.
    My opinion is for features alone, RoxBox is the best bang for the buck.
    That said, it is my opinion and mine alone.
    Songbook program free with it.
    Free ripper even if you don't buy RoxBox
    recording program that automatically records, names the recording with the singer's name for later burning.
    Rotation list that allow you to know who is next
    singer history so you can quickly set your rotation as your regulars come in.
    wil run on 98se,2000,xp on lower processor speeds so if you're already have your computer, you don't have to spend more money for it.
    soon to be added is a conveter for cavs based songs, including those that are on their hard disk player and the SCDG's.(NO ONE BUT CAVS & ROXBOX HAS THIS)
    Digital Songbook function so you can go without books
    List goes on.
    I have used this program from it's inception in 2004 and am very happy with it.
  4. Bill Page

Bill Page New Member

Mr Smith. I have no idea what the heck you are taliking about I am trying to find a new karaoke program. I was refered by a fellow dJ who said OTS might have a new one... any KJ's use PCDJ's KJ program. No axe to grind... where are you coming from ?????
  5. polarsounds

polarsounds In Self-Imposed Exile

That could have been interpreted as an axe to grind. I can see where Bill's question came from.

While I wouldn't be the best person to answer this question, I think those who can will want to know:

- What features you really want.
    - How much you want to spend.
  6. Bill Page

Bill Page New Member

polarsounds...

I was giving an example of how an "ots karaoke program"
    Rumor may have got sarted.

A fellow dj that's a friend of mine knows that I have the original OTS and mentioned that he heard that there was a new karaoke program..

Currently I'm running a program from "compuserve" it's nice but It lacks the ability to play music on teh same screen and I have to flip between programs on the fly... during my talk overs.. KJ Pro and PCKJ are name that have come up, but I know little about them.

Other KJ's in my market don't always like t o share information
    ( understandably ) they see it as a possible risk to their job security....

I guess I will stick to facts in future posts, so that light humor isn't seen as a slam on any particular individual....

Your from Alaska....Wow.. pretty cool...
    BP Out...
  7. polarsounds

polarsounds In Self-Imposed Exile

When I was trying out demos of software for VJ work, I accidentally downloaded Tricerasoft's Swift Ultralite software for KJs. For $25, it was a very intuitive piece of software that seemed to handle all essential karaoke functions. (Doesn't do much for me, since I don't do karaoke.) ;)

Many of these players have downloadable demos so that you can get a sense of their look and feel. Give 'em a test drive and see what you like.
  8. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Mobile Beat Moderator Staff Member

PCDJ KJ here www.pcdj.com I am also looking into Swift Elite (Triceresoft) as the whole program does everything.....music, Karaoke and Video. Best to download the demos and try them for yourself. Each user has found pros and cons of each program so you have to outweigh them yourself.
  9. dkron

dkron New Member

I've been running Compuhost for the past 6 months plus. Works like a charm does everything plus allows use of graphics and messaging on the fly along with history.
    www.karaokeware.com for a demo.
    One thing I'd suggest is downloading the demo of each product and decide for your self which is right for you and how you want to run your show.
  10. Jerry Taylor

Jerry Taylor New Member

For Karaoke, hands down: Tricerasoft, Swift Elite.

It handles video's, mp3, karaoke and photo montages.
  11. DannyG2006

DannyG2006 New Member

won't run on my show computer. Processor too slow.
    Definately won't run on back up machine wrong operating system(98SE) as well as processor speed being too slow.
    Love RoxBox will run on both machines 1ghz and 366 mhz processors.
    soon to be able to convert SCDG files as well as mcg and ncg (All CAvs files.)
  12. DJPete

DJPete New Member

MTU's Hoster works great --

Works well w/ OTS -- has a singer list --

I agree - you need to demo all the programs out there and decide which fits your environment best!
  13. DJBotz

DJBotz Honerable NIC

IMHO, all the KJ programs are trying to be what Sax-n-Dottys hosting program IS. Fast, simple, runs on most any rig, and uses Winamp as its engine. I have been using this software for a few years, and have also tried Tricerasoft products as well, and the KJ plugin for PCDJ. Nothing beats the simplicity of the interface, and ease of use. But you know what, dont take my word for it, just go and download a free 30 day trial at the website. http://www.sax-n-dotty.co.uk/ Oh and BTW, tech support is top notch, email and forum posts are answered withing minutes at times, (i swear he lives by his computer waiting for email,lol) and the price is spot on as well. 42.00 USD. Sax is currently working on a PRO version which will include the ability to record singers, manage rotations, advertise, jingles, remember singers favorite songs, work with playlists to crossfade to music in betwenn singers, etc.. I am Beta testing it now, and love the way it works, but if you dont require all the bells and whistles, and want a great strightforward and easy to use interface, use the Non-pro (for lack of a better word) version of Sax n Dottys Show Presenter. http://www.sax-n-dotty.co.uk/download.htm

Tommy
  14. occasionalsounds

occasionalsounds New Member

As far as OTS is concerned there is no karaoke plug-in available at this time. The chunk information inside of OTS files inside of their studio program has a greyed out chuck "cd+g"...leaving me to believe that there were and are plans to have karaoke available one day.

As far as karaoke software, nobodys opinion counts except yours. Nobody knows what you need, why you need it, who you need it for, what kind of show you are planning on running, etc., etc.

Almost every reputable karaoke software manufacturer that can be found has a downloadable demo available for you to try out. Go to their respective websites, download the demos and try them out for yourself to see which program you are comfortable with and which program meets the needs of you and your shows!

Edited to state that after re-reading the post the second paragraph comes off a little rough...that was not the intent! I don't think you should ask an open ended question such as "what is the best software". Instead maybe..."what features in the program that you are using do you like or dislike for your shows and why?" Sorry if that second paragraph sounded offensive!
  15. DJBotz

DJBotz Honerable NIC

Hey Chuck, i see you are located in Nashville TN are! I am moving in a few months to Gallatin, not far away. I am having a place built as we speak. Maybe we could hook up and network a little. Drop me a PM and let me know if your interested. As a matter of fact i will be in Nashville on saturday and sunday, if you have any gigs that are open to the public, give me a shout and i will drop by.

Tommy
  16. jclaydon

jclaydon New Member

Could you please post a message when the pro version is released, i would be very interested in evaluating it, because it sounds like exactly the kind of features i've been looking for *Swift elite has everything I want, EXCEPT for the singer history/favourites*

thanks

-James
  17. DannyG2006

DannyG2006 New Member

You want singer history plus elite go with RoxBox. Enetrtainer is always gonna require winamp. RoxBox is coming out with their own player on top of having the singer history now. There are changes coming for RoxBox to address separate singer's que of songs to be dropped into the main playing que so you can enter more than one request at a time for each singer. They are also adding a terminal program for being able to replace Songbooks with a search computer. And they are the first out with convertors for all of the CAVs formats.
  18. dkron

dkron New Member

Better then Roxbox Compuhost. www.karaokeware.com is a much better product and has everyone in the business beaten hands down.
    To be very honest after all the comments about Roxbox I downloaded it and ran the install on two clean machines... within 3 minutes managed to crash it 7 times. on both machines... very unstable and very prone to issues with bad keystrokes...... I'll stick with Compuhost..
  19. DannyG2006

DannyG2006 New Member

I've run RoxBox since dec 2004 and have yet to crash my computer.
    Must be something to do with how you operate your computer because i have yet to see that complaint on roxbox's forums. I know for a fact that Frank does a great job responding to any issue that comes down the pike.
    While Compuhost may be a great program it forces people to purchase more than just the show hosting software to get you going. RoxBox gives you everything for one price, Songbook printing, ripper with database for naming the songs, no relying on an outside program to work alongside the ripper. Compuhost's ripper relies on Fast tracks which you have to purchase separately. Let's compare cost- compuhost: $180 for the program, another $50 or so for Fast TRacks verses RoxBox $60 for everything. I 'd purchase Roxbox and use the extra savings to purchase an scdg which roxbox provides aconvertor for- another thing lacking in compuhost.
  20. tbreen

tbreen New Member

You're not honestly trying to compare the songbook creator in Roxbox to FastTracks are you??? On Roxbox's own site he admits to it being seriously deficient! In Karaoke just as anything else, you get what you pay for! Also, I took the liberty of testing the file naming database included with Roxbox, it appears to simply be a repackaged copy of Airwer's database, and we ALL know how extremely inaccurate that is!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.