1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Use Computer as decibel meter?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ThunderstruckDJs, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderstruckDJs

ThunderstruckDJs Active Member

I'm looking to use my computer and microphone as a decibel meter for judging a talent show. It doesn't have to have 100% accuracy for measuring true dBs but needs to be consistant.

Anyone know how to use a Windows based computer to do this?

Thanks in advance.
  2. bjojade

bjojade New Member

You can use any audio recording program that has a level meter in it for what you want to do.

But, for all the dinking around, it might be easier just to get a meter from radio shack for a few dollars and not worry about using the computer.
  3. ThunderstruckDJs

ThunderstruckDJs Active Member

I understand the dB meters to run about $80.
    I am already digital and run 2 computers so I thought it would be easier to run a computer rather than spend the extra money for very little ROI.

What program would you suggest?
  4. Select Pro

Select Pro New Member

i guessing your judging the show but who gets the most noise, well that computer mic would have to be run very low as not to max it out and not see who won, i would just get the cheap radio shack dB meter
  5. Dwight

Dwight New Member

I agree, the db meter from RS is the way to go. I've been using it for years. It will come in handy all the time and it's great way to monitor audio level when you have a head cold.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.