1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Spandex skirts for speaker stands?

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by Mr DJ By the Bay, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr DJ By the Bay

Mr DJ By the Bay New Member

I see spandex-type skirts for tables, chairs, etc, but not yet for tripod speaker stands...for the legs. This would really dress up a speaker stand; does anyone know who may sell these?

2. Hutt

Hutt Pro Dj groupie since 1996

3. Mr DJ By the Bay

4. Steve Lynch

Steve Lynch Active Member

I would skip the speaker stand covers. I offered them as a free option, and never had a bride say they wanted them. The comment was always... "those are ugly!" I have to agree.. a speaker stand is bulky enough. add the big black covering on them, and now you have this big unsightly black pyramid up there.. blech!

I suggest you sell them then buy them if you have any takers.. or even offer them for free.. if people show interest, then buy them. but I believe if you give them the option, people won't want those big ugly covers on them...

5. Mr DJ By the Bay

It wouldn't be an upsell or offer, it would be the standard setup. Would you rather see the legs of the chair, or the spandex cover? Same deal with the speaker stand legs...I think it would look better with the covering, but just my opinion.

Thanks....

6. Steve Lynch

My opinion doesn't matter... I'd ask your client though... it's their call. I wouldn't just assume they'd find it acceptable.

I'd be pissed if I spent $15000.00 on my daughter's flowers, decor, chair covers, linens, cake, and then some DJ comes in and plops down 2 3 foot black spandex pyramids in the middle of my daughter's wonderland.
    Speaker stands are minimal at best. why call more negative attention to them?

Chair covers are neither Black, nor spandex. they're usually matched to the decor. I don't think a bride would accept black spandex chair covers either.

Do you really think the one on the left looks more professional? I think it's an eyesore!

I'm not raggin' on your opinion, just stating mine, and that of every client I asked before throwing my covers away. It's a valid point... I'd ask first.

[​IMG]

7. Mr DJ By the Bay

Steve,
    In that photo/setting, both are eyesores. Still, the cover in your photo does not appear to be the type of cover I am looking for, but thanks anyway.

8. Steve Lynch

Well clearly you're not seeing the bigger picture, so here it is....

[​IMG]

I'm just sayin'....
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

9. len

len New Member

Yes, they do make spandex style chair covers.

However, I don't see the point of a cover for a speaker tripod, regardless of the material. One event planner I know of uses them all the time (black velour style), and they're just more work for no reward, IMO.

Attached Files:

10. Mr DJ By the Bay

If I could see a picture of the cover on a tripod speaker stand, I may have a better perspective. Can you tell me who makes these or post a picture?

Again, I have seen the covers for chairs, tables, etc, but not for a tripod speaker stand.

Thanks

11. DJ Wes

DJ Wes New Member

But with a white spandex cover and if you put a small LED color changer underneith it, hmmmm. I wonder how that would look?

12. Mr DJ By the Bay

Wes, you're thinking like me...the material comes in many colors.

13. DJ Dave

DJ Dave New Member

Then you can make a color to accent the decor.

14. djchad

djchad New Member

I agree that the speaker stands are gawdy looking. I think they look better without.

Hey Hutt-----are you at Rick's Cafe' in Jamaica in your pic?

15. Mr DJ By the Bay

Thanks for the continued input, but I am not asking for opinions on whether they look good or not, I am asking for a picture or a vendor who sells them.

:shock:

16. Jeff Tegeder

Jeff Tegeder New Member

I don't see the word "black" in his question. I would be interested to see how it looks... uplighting underneath? hmmmm 8)

17. Hutt

Hutt Pro Dj groupie since 1996

yup... leaving to go down on the 17th..:)

18. DJPete

DJPete New Member

I know the original author was asking about 'where to purchase' -- but maybe the bigger question is -- Balancing sound and looks -- Speaker placement for a ceremony versus a reception/Dance are two completely different needs and therefore in my case I supply compeletly different speaker systems to handle these needs.

19. Mr DJ By the Bay

There may be 100 "better" questions; mine is not a complicated one...but I digress.

I contacted DJ Skirts and they explained to me that they have tested using this material for tripod stands and that there are too many hurdles to jump to make it worth manufacturing.

So the topic can be closed. Thanks to those who attempted to help.

:D

20. djchad

djchad New Member

I love that place! I need to go back soon. Which resort do you usually stay at?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.