1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Outdoor Powered Speaker?

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by KennyZail, Mar 23, 2012.

1. KennyZail

KennyZail Caffiend

It's pool party and block party time again!!

I am looking to purchase new speakers for this season.

Here are my priorities in order:

Powered speakers
    Able to play for 5-6 hrs outside
    Weight 35 pounds or less
    Under $500 each
    Loud
    Sound quality average or above. (I'm a human jukebox or radio)

Any suggestions??

kz
  2. BillESC

BillESC Member

XZA1 by EV.
  3. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

[​IMG]
    (in the tone of Bill Lumbergh) See now Bill, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here and...
    recommend the EV ZXA1...And if they're for the outdoors, the white.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  4. KennyZail

KennyZail Caffiend

Yes - ZXA1 will NOT work. I have them and they will over heat in 60-90 minutes. They have no way to dispurse the heat.
  5. jordonjcrew

jordonjcrew jcrewpro

Make sure its not over 90 outside or keep the speakers out of the sun. They have no fan to cool themselfs off. On the other hand nice sound and you can hear them for blocks away from you.
  6. bill_smith

bill_smith Mobile beat Moderator Staff Member

The QSC K12 is an excellent fan driven choice. I've used them myself outside, no issues. I do not know what the MAp is. They weigh 37 lbs.
  7. djlouie atlanta

djlouie atlanta New Member

RCF ART 312as

Powered speakers - Checked
    Able to play for 5-6 hrs outside - Checked
    Weight 35 pounds or less - Didn't pass - 41 Pounds
    Under $500 each - Checked (as low as $399....once priced in the $800s)
    Loud - Checked
    Sound quality average or above. (I'm a human jukebox or radio) - Checked
  8. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

Even if they're ZXA5's, without subs, you're not going to get much coverage outside. If you're really concerned about overheating, use passives. I prefer passive for outside anyway since they're less likely to be affected by rain.
  9. DJSkinnyGuy

DJSkinnyGuy New Member

Qsc has speaker covers for light rain instances.
  10. Ken Heath

Ken Heath Super Moderator...da-ta-daaa!!! Staff Member

Glad makes covers for any speaker for inclement weather!

:)

Just sayin'...

American Audio makes some very nice plastic cabs, I've got the original APX PowerPro's and have run them in direct sunlight in up to 120+ degree heat for nine hours without incident!
  11. djsoxfan

djsoxfan New Member

I have the QSC's both the 10 & 12's, however it's your budget that won't work
  12. KennyZail

KennyZail Caffiend

What about the Mackie Thump? TH-15A.
  13. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

Mackie deservedly has their critics...but I've heard them and for the price point I think they're hard to beat. As far as how they do outside and tolerate heat...not sure.

[​IMG]
  14. djlouie atlanta

djlouie atlanta New Member

Although 5 pounds heavier than the Mackies, the RCF Art 312As will give you 150 more watts. If the 5Lb may not be a big deal for you...I will tell you that those RCF are the best value for the money $399 (Made in Italy)
  15. Dan Zynda Mobile Music

Dan Zynda Mobile Music New Member

Behringers. I use the B212A and B212D models for outdoor monitors so they're sometimes shaded but always laying down on the stage. To push further, I'd suggest going with 15" because it'll be in a deeper cabinet.

For better quality, I'd say the EV SxA250. A little heavier and more $ than what is wanted to spend but I've played 20 continuous hours on them for Relay For Life. In the sun, drizzle, dew and they've been on telelocks, flown from truss and perched above everyone with Applied L-16s and their speaker adapters.
  16. KennyZail

KennyZail Caffiend

I'll look into the Behringer & RCF - thx!
  17. Ken Heath

Ken Heath Super Moderator...da-ta-daaa!!! Staff Member

Good Lord!

That statement alone is tantamount to saying "I'm trying to decide between an aged, medium-rare Rib-Eye (RCF) or a Slim-Jim (behringer)"!!!

Just sayin'...
  18. audiopyle

audiopyle ProDJ Sponsor

RCF ART310A meets all your specs. Add a sub for the bigger gigs and you might even retire whatever else you are using.
  19. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

[​IMG]
  20. digitalphantoms

digitalphantoms New Member

What's the dispersion angle on the RCF? Maybe I am missing something, (I checked their site and didn't seem to find it)... Dispersion angles for outdoors events are important for me... I don't want to hijack this thread, but moreover offer some advice... Anyways, my 2 cents: Have you ever noticed that the most common outdoor speaker used for large outdoor venues is the Electro-voice SX300PI and the SX300PIX? You will find these all over the world installed in venue's outdoors. They are used in almost EVERY application where outdoor sound is needed.

These cabinets are all weatherproof and work extremely well outdoors due to the constant 65X65 degree dispersion angle... you can even array them easily with little to no understanding of array technology or how it works for larger events.

I had 8 of these when I did outdoor events often. They were fabulous. They would sit out on tripods day/night through storms for 24 hour Relay for Life events... I never took them down even when it rained.

Kenny, I know they are out of your price range, but you can find them used sometimes and you could buy a nice quality used amplifier too... You could put the amp in a lightweight rolling type case and have the best of both worlds... I am trying to talk you out of thinking active for outdoor events. Yes active works and I use my SXA360's at outdoor events all year long and they work fabulous, but I miss my SX300PI's a ton for outdoor events. If you are planning to use these a lot for outdoors you will happy if you went the passive route for sure, especially all weather speakers.

I know it sounds like you have already made up your mind, and that is ok, but I wish someone would have intervened back about 15 years ago when I started those outdoor events and offer the same advice.. I had to find out the hard way what really worked well.