1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Outdoor PA - Permanent Install

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by jimmyt, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmyt

jimmyt New Member

Long time no visit.

What manufacturers today offer solid PA equipment for outdoor applications? This will be a RESIDENTIAL permanent install in a covered porch. However, the equipment will still be subjected to hot/cold and serious humidity most of the year. Aesthetics are important for this install.

Powered speakers are preferred. Passive is acceptable.

Low to moderate volume is sufficient. 60-120 degree pattern is preferred. I would entertain 180 degree pattern too.

If speakers are anemic, I would like to add a modest subwoofer.

2. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

I think Bill @ ESC could answer this better than most. I have a covered deck on the back of my home and I've installed Polk Audio outdoor speakers on the deck and around the pool. These are wired into the B channel out of my Denon home stereo receiver. The input is fed from my FiOS tuner so I can select just about any type of music I want and with no commercials.

3. hippydog

hippydog wuz here when it was Red.

You would be better off with passive.. Havent experienced it myself, but i would have to assume that a powered speaker would NOT have the same longevity outdoors (or in a humid enviroment) as a passive speaker would.. and i think your types/selection would also be greater with passives.

4. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

Check out the EV Evid series. The 3.2 is very compact and Weather resistant. 150W Prog and passive. But I defer to Bill. This is what he does...

5. BillESC

BillESC Member

6. Scott McKinney

Scott McKinney Active Member

Community"R" series for more OOOMPH!

7. audiopyle

audiopyle ProDJ Sponsor

8. Bob Dietrich

Bob Dietrich New Member

Gotta go w/Brian & Bill on this...and Mike might have another good one, just never used or heard those so I cannot recommend them. The EV's though work excellent!! I'd also agree with using a non-powered speaker design.

9. jimmyt

jimmyt New Member

The EVID series are definitely on my radar as I've heard them before in restaurants and gyms. Never outdoors though.

The One Systems line...never heard of them. But they look interesting.

10. akela

akela New Member

Technomad NoHos. 'Nuff said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.