1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

NOVASCAN v250-1?

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by unlimitedsounds, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unlimitedsounds

unlimitedsounds Active Member

Can anyone tell me anything good or bad about the novascan 250-1 light? someone is selling a pair and I wonder if they are worth the purchase? I currently use a pair of ADJ Deluxe scan 250 lights. I love them but they are really heavy...

any info would be appreciated.. also does anyone know of any novascan videos?

Thanks..

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. djgarrettv

djgarrettv New Member

I can help you with a video...

Anthony has a bunch of them. I know he has at least four. Here's a video from a homecoming he did.

The Novascans are on the smaller truss. I took the video, and I can honestly say that they cut through the haze and project on to the other side of the gym very well. they are worth i t for the money. They have a better shutter than the Martin SCX500s. The Novascans use a very fast shutter, and the SCX500's use the gobo wheel, so you can't strobe gobos on the SCX500.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXVtGG5Jne0

3. JSMain

JSMain Active Member

I have 2 of them. They were my first scanners/DMX lights. They've outlasted one of my ADJ concept-2 fixtures. They aren't as accurate as the Concepts are, but they've been reliable, and useful.

When I say accurate, I mean placing them on their mounts, and commanding them to the same location, having them line up perfectly. I've had to modify the mirror mount to get them all to line up symetrically in the center (home) position.

4. unlimitedsounds

hmm.. well I am looking at a pair of used ones.. I currently use a pair of ADJ DELUXE SCAN 250s and I wonder if these would be upgrades? I am told you cant access sound activated when in DMX mode?

5. Anthony Martorano

Anthony Martorano School Dance Moderator Staff Member

Bang for your buck the Novascans have been absolutely incredible. I own 8 of them and haven't had an issue with any of them. For the money they do some pretty incredible stuff.

6. unlimitedsounds

WEll he two questions I have ..

1. Can I access SOUND ACTIVATED MODE IN dmx MODE?

2. I am told there are issues that when you have more then one they dont always to the same thing in DMX? IE the gobo or colro wheel is off?

HOw heavy are they are are they a good upgrade to my AMDJ Scan 250 Deluxe units?

7. Conanski

Conanski Active Member

If the controller has sound active mode then it doesn't matter. I can tell you mirror movements are very smooth and fluid with a controller that has movement macros(I use Freestyler), the only thing this fixture doesn't have that would make it outstanding is rotating gobos, but what do you expect in a $200 fixture.

8. unlimitedsounds

I am using LUMIDESK and it doesnt have sound activated.. I like being able to access a setting on the software to go into sound mode.. I have a VUE II and it has sound mode and lumidesk has a preset for that when you access direct fixture using..

9. JSMain

JSMain Active Member

I use Light Jockey on the PC, and it handles all the sound active stuff, stepping through cues and programming.

The Concepts have actual sound active mode that can be accessed via programming.

Don't know anything about deluxe scans, so I won't comment on them, or a comparison to the novascans.

10. unlimitedsounds

YEs lightkpckey does sound activated.. what I am asking is you can set the nova scans to sound activated VIA the settings on the unit itself if I wanted to run them without a DMX controller. Some fixtures, when in DMX mode with a controller you can set it to a certain setting and it goes into that sound mode. this is good for times when you dont want to run the DMX programs you have and just want to run them on automatic sound mode..

11. ATFM

ATFM Mr. Fun

scans

I have about 16 of them. You can run them in a master/slave cofig if you need. I use freestyle for my controler. The weight is around 18 pounds each. They work great and for the money. I love them but that's my 2 cents.

12. unlimitedsounds

No one has answered my qiestion.. Although I do appreciate all the comments about these lights I am getting..

If I am running in DMX mode using LUMIDESK, can I access the SOUND ACTIVATED mode with the software? I am told I can not.

My VUE II I can .. but I have other lights I can not..

THanks..

13. djphenominal

djphenominal New Member

I believe these lights are not capable of moving to sound through a on board mic. From the manufacturers web site i see no mention of a sound active mode. I own some of their moving yokes and those are not sound active either, that's what actually got me into the dmx world. Check their site out.
    http://www.visualeffectsinc.com/

14. JSMain

JSMain Active Member

I've never run without DMX, but if it is available, Sound active is via dip switch setting only, not via software as the ADJ concepts are.

It would be hard configured for Sound active, or for DMX. No software switching.

15. djphenominal

djphenominal New Member

Sorry, double post

16. digitalphantoms

digitalphantoms New Member

Unlimitedsounds,

Sorry I didn't read your post earlier, but NO the novascan's internal program cannot be selected through DMX... I spent many many hours programming Novascans when they first came out (when you could not hardly get your hands on them because of the supply/demand issues.) That must have been back in 02? I owned up to 14 of them at one time... Great lights... I actually had one hit the concrete floor from 8 feet in the air off of a truss (my fault) and it bent the chassis, broke the entire black case, and the light still functioned fully.

In addition, you definitely DO NOT want to access the internal programs anyways... that was the fixtures biggest down fall.. The internal program looked like something a 7 grader wrote in about 5 minutes... I think the whole program cycled in less than 1 minute if memory serves me correct..

Let me know if you need any further assistance or questions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.