1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

MOST RELIABLE CD PLAYERS

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by MusicToTheMaxx, Mar 11, 2003.

?

What's the most reliable brand of dual cd players?

1. Denon

100.0%
  2. Numark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. American DJ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Pioneer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Stanton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Gemini

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Tascam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicToTheMaxx

MusicToTheMaxx New Member

Just wondering which dual cd-players you guys thought were the most reliable. We've been using Numarks for the last few years and have only been getting a couple of months out of the new ones (cdn 33's) before they have to go to the shop. May have to change brands in the future. Any input from you guys would be appreciated.

Thanx

Jody

2. djstevieray

djstevieray Somewhere On Hoth

I feel this is going to be a very biased poll, not to any particular one brand, but people can really only post what they know. And if someone has used brand X for 7 years, of course they are going to answer brand X.

For me, I have used Denon for about 10 years now, and American Audio for the last 3, and so far IMHO American Audio's players seem to have less down time. Both brands go out on the road just as often as each other. But there are a couple of guys in our company who will swear the Denon's are more reliable. Why?...Because they have never even tried the American Audio's, because in their biased opinion American Audio is junk, because of the name.

3. Jim Weisz

Jim Weisz ProDJ Sponsor Staff Member

Interesting so far...pretty much all over the place.

Good idea for a poll!

4. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner School Dance Moderator

My claims about the Pioneer CD player seem to hold true.

I find it interesting that as of right now, Pioneer and Gemini have the same satisfaction rating. What a joke. I'm glad I paid $899 for my Pioneer player when I could have had the same piece of Gemini equipment for a lot less.

When Pioneer wakes up and tries to make an effort on the customer service level, I'll at least give them some credit.

5. Jackie

Jackie New Member

not to mention that with the 4 votes that pioneer has on this poll, ... there are FOUR PIONEER employees/demonstrators/mods on this board... :roll:

6. clipuptags

clipuptags New Member

I am not voting in this poll. :D

7. MusicToTheMaxx

Stevie...appreciate your input. You're right about the simplicity of the poll but space limitation was a factor. I have not personally tried the IMHO American Audio Players but your report on them is encouraging, especially with the comparison to the Denons. The last radio station I worked for (years ago) opted for Denon and I felt the studio version of the single tray units was exceptional. Thanks Again...feel free to touch base with more info on the IMHO Players at hub.ofthe.net.

8. MusicToTheMaxx

My claims about the Pioneer CD player seem to hold true.

I find it interesting that as of right now, Pioneer and Gemini have the same satisfaction rating. What a joke. I'm glad I paid $899 for my Pioneer player when I could have had the same piece of Gemini equipment for a lot less.

When Pioneer wakes up and tries to make an effort on the customer service level, I'll at least give them some credit.
    Hello Wags...Appreciate your input. How has your Pioneer held up (model # if you please) and for how long? It's hard to compare the equipment in such a simple survey but it is helpful for a start. Gemini has some great deals on inexpensive gear, but I have yet to hear anything about their durability over any period of time under standard road operation. Feel free to get in touch with any helpful info for our further gear adjustments. All The Best...Jody....hub.ofthe.net

9. DJStuCrew

DJStuCrew Human Thighmaster

For about five minutes, I worked at a well known dealer in Troy, Michigan. Their electronic tech is considered the very best in the area. He repairs players every day. According to him, the American Audio is far better than Denon. Not only are the actual components inside the player of higher quality, but they come back to him far less often. We put a ton of them in various nightclubs where they get brutal punishment and they keep rollin' on. Great bang for the buck.

Denon made a name for themselves in radio broadcast booths. When they concentrated on the MDJ market, they cut some corners to lower the cost of their stuff. When they work, there's nothing like 'em. But they go down far too soon. (I have one in for service now. Glad I have my American Audio back-up!)

Pioneer seems to be somewhere in between. They're less prone to failing by themselves, but the top load design of many of their CD players makes them an occasionally handy ash tray or beer glass coaster. Gravity does have a nasty way of pulling CRAP into the CD compoartment, so this is the biggest reason that these have been in the shop.

As for Gemini, all I'll say is that I've tried many of their products over my 23 year DJ career and I always had at least one major gripe. Some I outright regretted. Like American Audio, they have improved over the years and it's great to see, but once bitten twice shy...

10. Ron aka DJ Doc

Ron aka DJ Doc New Member

this will almost certainly become a "what CD-player do you use" - most people (not all) have had very limited chance or opprotunity to try a varity of players. I myself have only owned the Pioneer CDJ100's and the Stanton S650. As you know they are both of a very different style. My first pioneer had damage when I opened the shipping box and was replaced very quickly - other than that never had a problem with them. The Stanton has so far caused me no problems at all and I have found it to be a very solid piece of kit.

On that note though - how many stanton owners are there here. (you can subsitute"Stanton with any name brand")

11. bill_smith

bill_smith MobileBeat Moderator Staff Member

Single Tray Sony with the tuner dial to cue up tunes. It's 7 years old. While I have Numarks and Vocopros now, in terms of the question it has been continually reliable as a backup and priamry ever since I started.

it now resides in my studio, a testament in reliability to certain off the shelf components...which certain people diss a lot.

But, it played through bittercold, rain, snow sleet, blazing heat.

It never shut down, never failed to cue up or failed to play cleanly.

Who could ask for more?

12. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

Well lets see ... I've been through the Numark 7020, (2) CDN-34's, CDN-88 and currently own a CDN-90. Then I've had Pioneer CDJ-500's, CMX-5000 and now use a CMX-3000. I also have an American Audio PS-1 and a PS-2 (Thanks to JB).

Of all these players, for the amount of use and abuse they've all seen (except the CDN-90 which is too new to tell), I'd have to rate the CDN-88 as my favorite but only because I prefer rack mount units. The PS-2 has been one of the most solid performers and I have abused this machine beyond anything that your average full time DJ would ... my intentions were to do just that - break it .... and I haven't been able to make it quit. I even spilled a Michelob on it (unintentionally) but it still LIVES!

So before you choose your CD player, look at the cost vs. features that you actually MUST HAVE, then those that would be NICE TO HAVE, then how many features you just WON'T USE AT ALL .... and make your decision. Remember this, ALL brands eventually have problems especially under heavy fire. Often times its better to get two cheaper models with fewer features so you stay up and running while one goes in the shop.

NickyB

13. DJ Pulse

DJ Pulse New Member

Grasping at straws?

You're a funny guy Jackie ... I haven't even voted yet, so apparently there's a few users who think Pioneer makes decent gear.

14. lil flow

lil flow New Member

american audio here and i love it have had no problems with it and have had it a little over a year :usa

15. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner School Dance Moderator

Of course! But don't you think for the price point that Pioneer ought to be on the top? I know it's an informal survey, but you might want to bring this back to the boys at Pioneer... if they give a rats ***.

16. RoyN

RoyN New Member

Personally I'd buy Pioneer or Denon tablet-tops if I were to buy any cd-players at all!

from what I have fooled around with them, they seem to be the best. All professional djs which I have talked to who are my friends USE these... they dont recommend them, they just use it for themselves...

That is as much as I need to see...

HOWEVER, I'd never touch their 3000 player after what I have heard!

On another note, I'd not get double players... I have had far too many of these fail on the job... I have seen less singles fail, and when they do you just replace 1!

17. donniles

donniles New Member

I have Gemini and Denon..I think overall they are equal in quality..Over the years there is one quirk common to Denon..CD tray opening and shutting repeatedly upon pressing the open tray button..I have a single tray Denon that does that until the player has a few minutes to "warm up"

18. RoyN

RoyN New Member

OH, I did have a problem with a Gemini top-loading player, it got mis-aligned or something, and the CD would not spin because it was touching the walls of the cd-compartment....

Since I was in Brazil and there practically doesnt exist anything except for Pio and Denon support I never got it fixed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.