1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Mackie & QSC Mixed

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by Jerry Taylor, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Jerry Taylor

Jerry Taylor New Member

Till my KW181 comes in here is my problem. I have 2 Mackie SRM 450 and 2 QSC K-10 and 1 Mackie Sub which has a crossover.

I want to go in to the sub and out to the Mackies then pig tail to the K-10's What wil it do to the sound of the K-10's or am I Ok with this setup one time?????
  2. BillESC

BillESC Member

Why do you want 4 tops?
  3. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

Actually, with one Mackie Sub (The SWA-1801?) you'd be fine with just the 450's. But to answer your question, yes, you can do that and the K-10's will sound fine. Just make sure you use the high pass output on the sub. I'd try the 450's and the K-10's and see which sounds better. I bet just the K-10's with the sub would sound pretty sweet.
  4. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

A) Because the Temptations won't tour alone
    B) Because that's what the four "bottom" guys asked for (silly)
    C) Why do you want to know?
    D) My Mother taught me to never answer a question with a question.

Bill, if I didn't know you better, I'd say you were baiting ;) .
  5. Jerry Taylor

Jerry Taylor New Member

Reason I may need four tops is I'm doing a small prom and I've never been to the place, its out of state. BP I'm not sure the Mackie sub has a high pass out. I''m borrowing the sub. I think I'll setup the 450 and K10 tops and listen, I want to make sure I have enough sound.

Thanks for the advice.
  6. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

Jerry, I had to look, but whether it's an older SWA-1801 or the newer SRM model, it will have both full range and high pass XLR outs. When you hook up the 450's, run them high pass and leave the Contour switch on the back of the 450's out (off) This combination sounds great and allows you to trim off some of the harsh high end on the 450's with eq. The result should be very pleasing. Both models have a phase switch on the back, too. If you run the sub with the volume at 12 o'clock, you'll get all the bass necessary to complement the 450's. If the bass sounds weak, try reversing the polarity by putting the phase switch in the opposite position. Sometimes, the results can be quite dramatic.
  7. Jerry Taylor

Jerry Taylor New Member

Thanks for the info. I'll follow it.
  8. BillESC

BillESC Member

The 450 and K10's both have a 90 degree spreads, adding the second speakers may cause more trouble than the boost in output is worth.
  9. DJ Jonny T

DJ Jonny T New Member

The QSC's have a switch for use with external sub. I always switch to that once we get to dance volume.
  10. Ninja Tunes

Ninja Tunes DJ Tunes

I can't help myself.
  11. Ninja Tunes

Ninja Tunes DJ Tunes

12. Jerry Taylor

Jerry Taylor New Member

Even if I am using a Mackie Sub till the KW181 comes in?