1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Looking for new sound system for school dances (250 - 500 students)

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by SnowConeGuy, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowConeGuy

SnowConeGuy New Member

Looking to purchase an additional sound system for Prom season. I currently use 2 EV ZXA5's w/ 2 Yorkville LS801p's for most bigger events. I also have 2 RCF 315a's w/ a RCF Art 905as sub I use for smaller dances. I also have a pair of JBL EonG2's , Bose L1's, & 2 EV ZX1's w/ 2 SB2A's I'll bring in for more sound if needed for certain events.

I want to purchase an entirely new system to handle another school during Prom season.

The biggest schools we do are 700-800 students and I usually use the EV ZXA5 w/ Yorville LS801's for those. We also do a lot of 250 - 350 person proms and a few 150 & less proms.

Any recommendations on another sound system? I've been eyeing a QSC rig. Maybe QSC K12's w/ the K Subs or step up to the KW122's w/ the K181's.

Thanks for any recommendations!

2. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

Demo the new Yamaha DSR Active line if you can. 2 double 15's and 4 subs would handle you size crowd+

The sound of this line is extremely impressive.

3. Maverick

Maverick Pumping It Up

4. Bob Dietrich

Bob Dietrich New Member

I would go with another set of what you already have so you can start being more modular...you could do far bigger events with far more ease by doubling up on the EV/Yorkie system... then scale the system as needed to the event.

5. djtunes

djtunes Checking Reality

'What Bob said. I'm thinking if you get gear that is inferior to what you're using now, you'll regret it. More EV/York.

6. BillESC

BillESC Member

Best advise without doubt.

7. hippydog

hippydog wuz here when it was Red.

They are bloody expensive, but you might want to take a look at some of the array systems out there.. it would be truly modular, and a true step up from what everyone else has..

8. Sam Whitman

Sam Whitman New Member

I gotta agree with Bob and Bill, why buy something you don't know when you coud just buy more of what you have and love. Doubling the EV/Yorkie stuff will work out better than a new single system, even though everyone loves buying new gear.

With regards to you QSC comment. I just posted a thread on how much I love these after using them BUT I would never use them for a school dance. They are amazing speakers but unless you are using like 4 tops or maybe even more there is no way these will work because of the output cone. K8's have the best cone for it but not the power you need. K10's have an okay cone and good power but wouldn't work it's best without a few subs and at least two tops on each side. K12's you are looking at at least 2 on each side (for directional purposes only) and 2 subs maybe more depending on which sub you buy. the KSUB will not give you the thump you want for a true 'club style' school dance. The Yorkie 1800 on the other hand would be fine. I hope this helps.

9. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

Adrian, You mentioned wanting a completely different system, that's why I mentioned the new Yamaha DSR system. On a dollars-to-sound basis, it's a VERY impressive system.
    BUT, if you're willing to build on what you already have, The EV/Yorkville system is the way I'd go.

Still, I'd give the Yamaha system a listen...LOUD. The smoothness and clarity of this system at high volumes is incredible.

10. DJVonScheller

DJVonScheller New Member

take a look at the QSC KLA line array. You can go with the KW181 sub because you won't need to fly the sub. We use 4 KW181s and 4 K12s for 500 person school and it rocked. Here is a photo of it. I used a dual speaker mount on one crank stand to get the speakers up on each side.
    school dance.jpg

11. Bob Dietrich

Bob Dietrich New Member

I would place those 4 subs together right in the center, you'll pick up an additional 3dB of gain. This can be used in a number of ways...for of course an additional 3dB of output or an additional 3dB of headroom, or better sound due to lower excursion and subsequent lower distortion compared to having them separated two to a side, and in any case, better more even coverage due to a single point source.

12. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

Yo BP, the Yamaha system is priced pretty darn good. I was surprised....especially given your review.
    One can set themselves up for a very reasonable price. Here's a comparison against the EV Live X Series.
    Note: these prices are an average of 3 different individual sellers...not the price of an individual seller. -Z-

YAHAMAHA DSR Series
    • 2) YAMAHA DSR112 - 2-WAY BI-AMP POWERED SPEAKER/12LF/2HF/1300W/90X60---$1300.00 w/ Delivery
    • 2) YAMAHA DSR115 - 2-WAY BI-AMP POWERED SPEAKER/15LF/2HF/1300W/90X60---$1474.00 w/ Delivery
    • 2) YAMAHA DSR118W - POWERED SUBWOOFER/18LF/800W---$1649.00 w/ Delivery

EV Live X
    • 2) Electro-Voice ELX112P-15 Inch 2 Way Full Range Powered Speaker---$899.00 w/ Delivery
    • 2) Electro-Voice ELX115P-15 Inch 2 Way Full Range Powered Speaker---$1049.00 w/ Delivery
    • 2) Electro-Voice ELX118P-18 Inch Powered Subwoofer---$1200.00 w/ Delivery

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  13. BillESC

BillESC Member

I think people don't read and understand the OP's original question. I may be wrong, but I don't think he's looking for line arrays.

From the original post - "The biggest schools we do are 700-800 students and I usually use the EV ZXA5 w/ Yorville LS801's for those. We also do a lot of 250 - 350 person proms and a few 150 & less proms."

It seems to me he has the larger events covered and is looking for something to handle smaller events and or double bookings. Hence the suggestion to double up on the currently owned system. The advantages are many. Even larger events are possible (he'll have double what he handles the large events with now.) Smaller events can be handled with gear working at idle levels, scalability, etc.

14. maestro

maestro Active Member

I'm with Bob too, a modular system is the way to go. Buy one more set of tops and one sub if your double booked Proms are small. If you manage to book two big Proms on the same night, buy another sub. I own four matching subs / four matching tops and I can tell you that it sure is nice to be able to add a third or forth cab / sub as needed. I quite often throw a third top on top of the coupled subs in front of me to take care of the middle section during speeches / cocktails at weddings. Works wonders for the head table which is usually right across from me on the opposite side of the dance floor. Sometimes I run three subs if I think it will be too much for two subs.

15. Allen D

Allen D Just Hangin' Around!

I absolutely agree with most of the above in suggesting the addition of matching gear that you already own. More modularity, more flexability, less learning curve AND more backup.

To the pic, I'm guessing there was some serious comb filtering and a big power alley with that configuration. Splay the tops a bit more and as Bob recommended couple the subs centered but in a stacked cube, you'll get more bass to the back of the room, eliminate any power alley there is as well as save some throttle not to mention you'll get a bit better low frequency response and depth, they'll play lower...

Just my opinion.

16. maestro

maestro Active Member

You are so silly Allen. If you read most of the posts on the various DJ boards, you'd realize that comb filtering and power alleys don't really exist, kind of like fairies. ;)

17. Allen D

Allen D Just Hangin' Around!

c'mon Steve, you know it's fun using made up theories and jibberish when talking tech. ha ha ha

Ps. how do you change the filter in a comb? I've never even seen one lol.

18. classactparty

classactparty New Member

That EV/Yorkie combo is a pretty good one. You certainly may want to listen to what QSC has to offer as well. I tend to favor going with more of what brought you to the dance in the first place. EV tops have always worked well for me.

19. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

As an advocate for "MODULARITY" I share the opinion of using more of what you already have. If the gig is smaller, why not use what you have and turn down the volume. You're much better off having the extra headroom rather than risking pushing a smaller system into audio oblivion.

20. kflow

kflow New Member

I am in a similar situation as the OP'r. I use 4 JBL EON 515xt's and 2 JBL EON 518S's. I want to start getting into the bigger High School Dances. I like modularity but I am concerned adding more EON subs won't cut it. Should I upgrade to the Yorkville LS801P or even the QSC KW181? Or are my concerns moot and 2 more EONS would do the trick?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.