1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Line6 Mics & Wifi..

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by topdogdj, Mar 26, 2012.

1. topdogdj

topdogdj Topdogdj

After all of the hype on the forums about how awesome the Line6 XD-V70 wireless mics..I went ahead and purchased one a few months ago. I'm happy with it's performance, but it totally kills the Wifi signal on my laptops. Anytime the mic transmitter is on, I can't connect to any wireless networks. Has anyone else experienced this??
  2. JMM773

JMM773 New Member

YUP... had no idea it was that

shouldn't have my wifi on anyway when i'm djing, but i did it a couple of times. knocked out my mic signal a few times pretty substantially

glad to see i wasn't the only one
  3. BillESC

BillESC Member

Not good.

Like my Audio Technica mics even more now.
  4. dboomer

dboomer Member

The answer is yes ... it certainly can cause problems to your Wi-Fi because you are trying to run two things on the same frequencies. There's only so many cars you can put on the freeway. Also you need to keep them at least 6 feet apart ... more is better.

So there are a couple of solutions. You can make better channel choices to go with your Wi-Fi (see our FAQ on our customer service forums)

With our new models V75/55/35 we now offer RF2 mode that is channel compatible with Wi-Fi so you can pick channels that absolutely do not interfere. The good news is that you can upgrade your existing V70 for free (and everything else we've ever made in the 2.4G range) with a simple flashing of the units. it does require access to the new V75 receiver because the receiver has a USB port that allows it to be connected to a computer. Contact your dealer and see what they can do for you.

The best solution is to switch your wi-fi over to 802.11n dual band on 5 GHz as that completely takes care of everything and your wi-fi will go twice as fast.
  5. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

Never had that issue :confused:...I do surf on my back-up lappy during gigs (stop it...charts, Amazon MP# Downloads, etc). -Z-
  6. topdogdj

topdogdj Topdogdj

Agreed, Bill. I'll be swapping things around and putting my trusty Audio Technica 3000 back into my DJ console. The Line6 will have to move to backup duty, because I'm not giving up my internet (used mainly for purchasing song title downloads at an event if we need them)... Besides I'm sure My wife, a lead singer in a local christian band, wouldn't mind having an almost brand new Line6 :)
  7. digitalphantoms

digitalphantoms New Member

Another satisfied audio technica 3000 system lover here... I have 10 units. (5 hand helds and 5 belt packs) that I use for my corporate events. I have only had one issue in the past 3 years and it was a defective unit that was swapped out immediately. Not to knock the Line 6 units because they do look pretty slick, but I have never used any of their systems.
  8. JMM773

JMM773 New Member

I bought mine B-Stock from an authorized dealer - Can we talk over the phone to see what my options are?
  9. DJ-JC

DJ-JC New Member

Hmmmm, I bought my Line 6 last year because of all the great reviews here. To be fair, other than getting used to the off/on button it has worked perfectly (and sounds great!). I do have a Audio Technica as a backup.
    But let me ask a question...I do not use WI-fi on my lappys, however if a guest at a reception tapped into the venue's free WI-Fi with their cell phones would this possibly cause the same issue?
    I was going to ask for reviews on the JBL Eon 515XTs, but maybe I should wait a few years until all the possible (if any) issues are posted. I hate reading about this kinda stuff after researching and reading the rave reviews.
    Regards,
    dj-jc
  10. MusicMeister

MusicMeister New Member

It simply requires some diligence with setting up the microphones at the venue.

Wireless microphones aren't a Ronco Rotisserie where you 'set it and forget it'.

You should scan for available channels each and every time you set up your microphones and check for potential issues. There are PLENTY of apps for the ipad and iphone to scan for wireless networks and the channels they're on. Then don't set your Line 6 microphones to a channel in the spectrum they're using. It's why I opted for V70's over V30's - more channels. ;) And I had already been bit by the lack of available channels on the Audio Technica 2000 series in one area I play regularly.
  11. DJ-JC

DJ-JC New Member

No kidding,... it was only yesterday when I mailed my Ebay listed unused EV corded mic I had carried around for the past two years as a backup. I figured no need with the redundant pairs of cordless,,,,now I feel sooooo vunerable :(
    dj-jc
  12. dboomer

dboomer Member

Generally if the Wi-fi transmitters are 6-10 feet away (or more) there is no issue. All radios have an issue if you stick an unintended transmitter right near the receiver antennas. If you use the paddle antennas and then split them it is nearly impossible for a transmitter to hit both of them.