1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Lighting Truss Totems

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Billabong, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billabong

Billabong Rock Lobster

For those of you with using single truss totems to mount moving heads, how tall (long?) is your truss piece? Do you use one piece, or is it two (or more) joined together?

Thanks!

2. djstevieray

djstevieray Somewhere On Hoth

6.5ft the heads are about 8ft when on top. I am going to get some 8footers to get the TV's higher when playing rooms with more headroom.

Ohh yeah 1 piece.

3. Billabong

Billabong Rock Lobster

Thanks Stevie. Would you get new 8ft pieces, or a 2ft extension for the 6.5ft's?

And you feel a 6.5ft one is not tall enough to mount a TV?

4. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

Mine are all in shorter sections. Two five-foot sections make a nice 10-foot totem. But for lower ceilings, a five and 2.5 ft piece together is perfect. The prom I'm doing next Saturday is in a room with a stage, so I might just use the 5-ft sections only on the stage with me, right behind a double 15 speaker and sub on the floor. Flexibility is key for me.

5. djstevieray

djstevieray Somewhere On Hoth

I'll be getting 1pc, 8 footers.

This way come homecoming season, I can stand up the 8 footers, put some corners on them, and put a 13' span between them with the 6.5's I currently have.

6. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

Two piece - 5 ft and 3 ft, provides felxibility for rooms/setups with lower ceilings.

7. Billabong

Billabong Rock Lobster

Thank you for the feedback guys. Much appreciated!!

8. maestro

maestro Active Member

I also can't decide what lengths to get but the flexibility or being able to go shorter is a good thing like Nicky's set-up. I think I'm going with 2m (6.5 ft) sections to start, then getting two 2.5m (8.2 ft) later. Although the 5 + 3 also sounds like a great combo... decisions, decisions... :)

9. Billabong

Billabong Rock Lobster

^^ I feel your pain Steve. So much money, so little to buy. :D

Agreed, I like the idea of the 5 + 3 too. With that, I could always add two corner pieces later on and have the option for a goal-style truss, like what Stevie Ray is going to do.

10. DJ Yada

DJ Yada Member

Bill,

I like your idea for the totem and I have though about that as well. I was curious when you said mount a moving head. How are you planning for that. Is it just a single head on top or do you have t-junctions or other mounting options. Would love to pick you nrain for ideas. Thanks much and good luck with your purchases. If it helps at all, I have triangle truss with 2 pieces @ 5ft (1.5 m) and 2 @ 3ft (1 m) and as others said, it gives you alot of flexibilty with height (or length if I go with horizontal on stands)

11. robertbenda

robertbenda Active Member

I'll be getting to 8 feet in two sections, also (6+2), to allow for unexpected, and easier transport.

2nd question for all of you smarter than me... is it safe to mount a 35lb speaker to the front of the 8 foot totem? I'll be using 2'x2' plates, but sometimes I don't have a large enough footprint for separate speaker stands.

12. Billabong

Billabong Rock Lobster

Hi Keith,

I don't have the totems yet, I'm currently investigating my options. I would put one moving head on top of the truss like I've seen others do. Maybe Stevie Ray or another totem user could shed some "light" on the subject? :)

13. BillESC

BillESC Member

I use 2 meter and 3 meter sections. It allows me the flexibility I need in my market.

14. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

Robert, without a sub or sandbag on the bottom of those 2x2's, I wouldn't. The good news is, you can pick up two 75lb sandbags at Lowes for about 10 bucks or less.

15. DJ Yada

DJ Yada Member

Awesome. I will keep watching and let me know what you come up with. I am trying to figure out how to mount multiple moving heads to a totem while still maintaining "up or down" orientation since I was told that mounting moving heads sideways was bad on the motors. I will share whatever I can find. :)

16. Johnny Dee

Johnny Dee Website Design & Success Moderator Staff Member

I would not use 2' x 2' plates. We only use 3' x 3'. The aluminum ones should work for that since you will have the speakers in the stage area. When we have totems out on the dance floor with 50" or 60" flat screens we will always use our 3' x 3' steel plates. I don't trust the aluminum ones where they can get banged into by guests.

[​IMG]

Those are EAW speakers hanging from the truss and not flat screens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. robertbenda

Thank you, Johnny, that's awesome. I checked and the plates are actually 30"x30" steel. Not sure how much weight. Now I just need to figure out how to actually attach the darn things (EV Live X 12s) since I can't find a fly kit.

18. Billabong

Billabong Rock Lobster

Very nice set up Johnny, thank you for sharing!

I like the second picture, using the truss as the support for the DJ coffin. May have to borrow that idea in the future. :)

19. BillESC

BillESC Member

You want to attach a Live X 12 to the top of the totem? If that's the case, get a standard end plate, drill a hole in the center and bolt a 27mm deep socket to it. A 27mm deep socket is the perfect outside diameter for a speaker's 1 3/8" pole mount.

20. robertbenda

Thanks, Bill, I will be doing that, but I'd love to have the option to mount them to the front of the totem, at the 6ft mark, then have a moving head on top. 8 feet total, 30x30" plate (though I might do a custom connecting plate to run under my table and connect both bases, in addition to sandbags).

I haven't seen a good way to attach the speaker, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.