1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Is YOUR Up-Lighting RGB, RGBW, RGBA, RGBAW?

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by DJSTEVEZ, Mar 7, 2012.

?

1. RGB

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. RGBW

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. RGBA

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. RGBAW

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

Not in the Poll, but interesting to ask...
    • Is your Up-Lighting Traditional Bulb Par Cans or LED?
    • Slim Pucks or No?
    • Brands?
    • How many?
    • Cost?
    • What would you do if you could do it all over again?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. Jeff Zahrt

Jeff Zahrt New Member

Currently 13 RGB puck style lights. 3 Blizzard brand (with 2 of the blizzards battery powered), and 10 Lumin Light brand. Planning on switching to all battery powered wireless DMX for future purchases

3. djstevieray

djstevieray Somewhere On Hoth

We have both RGB and RGBA's

4. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

I have both the standard PAR-38s with gels (20 of 'em) and the Jamstar Elite RGB LED fixtures (24 of 'em). The MBT deep PAR-38's cost me roughly $20 each w/75w lamps and I had to build floor stands out of 1" x 10" pine shelving. The Jamstar LEDs were $99 each. The reason for RGB is that I was one of the first DJs in my area to offer up lighting. Since then I've rented them to numerous other DJs in my area as well as using them myself. I'd go with traditional PARs with white LED lamps if I had to do it all over again.

From personal experience I say forget dmx for uplighting because the wiring is cumbersome. Forget battery operated LEDs because you've gotta spend so much time recharging them between gigs and they're expensive...big investment to recoup. Most brides and venues want a single static color so standard non-dmx PARs are cheapest and best. If you're worried about heat, then put LED lamps in them .... heat gone! It raises the cost per fixture but they're still 1/3 the cost of even the cheapest of the LED units and you don't feel so bad if one gets banged up or broken. Also PARs with gels can provide every color without compromise .... LEDs can't do a good burgundy red, chocolate brown, dark congo blue or a UV purple.

5. Conanski

Conanski Active Member

Damn.. I like you thinking here Nicky. I want to get some uplighting fixtures and as cool as it is to have all that control I think you're right.. it's generally not needed. What LED bulbs would produce sufficient output for this type use?

6. UNDJ

UNDJ Member

-I use LEDs
    -Cans (I think pucks debuted the day after I bought cans, LOL)
    -American DJ Par 38s
    -10 of them (I feel that’s enough – never had a complaint)
    -I believe they cost $110 each

I like my uplights because they have a few pre-set colors. Many of my clients picks blue or purple for an uplighting color so it’s very easy to “set and forget”.

If anyone wants a color that is not a pre-set, I just put them on the white setting and slide a gel filter over it (sometimes 2 or 3 to get the tint just right). Common color requests where I need gels are amber, pink, and teal.

If I had to do it over again I would get pucks just because the easier transport and they look a little nicer. Yet, I’m not willing to completely reinvest in them. I’ve only had 1 date where I had more than 1 of our brides ask for uplighting. If there was more of a demand like that I’d get a second set. With everybody and their brother doing uplighting now (planners, florists, venues, heck, I even saw that a photo booth company was doing it too), I doubt I’ll ever get a second set.

I would go battery powered if I did it over again though. At certain venues with not enough outlets in the right places, I have to run a lot of cord to plug mine in. I think the time saved in setup would be worth the extra cost. Like pucks, I think battery powered debuted the day after I bought my cans, LOL.

7. hankedw

hankedw Member

I have 12ea chauvet slim par 56 RGB LED and just received 8 Chauvet freedom pars, wireless DMX,LED's.

8. waasta

waasta Account Closed

10 SlimPar 64s. Love them. I'm with Nicky in that set 'n forget seems to be the name of the game 98% of the time. Occasionally they'll want a slow fade, but I just use the built-in program. And I'm with UNDJ in that 10 is more than enough for most applications.

9. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

10. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

OK, Caption this gentlemen.

[​IMG]

11. MBM

MBM New Member

30 Eternal CUBE 4s RGBW

12. maestro

maestro Active Member

I have 18 Slimpar 64 fixtures and love them. I paid 120 each but now they are only 100. They are bright and easy to program. I have never had an issue achieving any color asked for so far but if I do, a gel with two tiny pieces of clear tape will do the trick, so no biggie.

I started with regular par 38 fixtures and 90 watt halogen bulbs but never used them since they were a pain to transport. I don't recommend them because of their bulk. You need a long can to focus the beam which makes them big. As for LED par 38 bulbs, the cheapest quality LED par38 on bulbamerica.com is a 50 dollar Philips that only has a rating of 600 lux. Their most powerful 21 watt LED par 38 is rated at 1150 at a cost of 62 dollars. Compare that to 1300 for a standard 5 dollar 90 watt par38 halogen or a Slimpar 64 which uses just 32 watts, has an output of 3640 lux and has a much better beam / field angle for uplighting.

Battery powered fixtures sound really nice but I don’t think their battery life will last for an entire Canadian wedding reception which normally lasts between 7 to 8 hours. I don’t really see a need for DMX but if it were wireless, you could achieve some pretty spectacular effects like Bob (Main Event) does. I’ll tell you one thing… I’m in pretty good shape but after plugging in 18 fixtures at a gig in addition to my regular DJ set-up, running the AC cords and doing a bit of taping, I was so sore the next day I couldn’t believe it. It’s all that extra up and down work that you are not used to that gets you! Battery powered would be so awesome to help with the sore muscles and battery powered / wireless DMX would open up countless possibilities. With that being said, I like what I have but if I had to start over I would look at battery operated / wireless DMX fixtures. I would want them to be highly portable as well so I’m not sure about the Freedom Par series since they look pretty friggin’ huge.

Edit: I wanted to add that the time savings for a one man operation would be HUGE using battery operated / wireless DMX fixtures. That is so important, especially a the end of the night. Sure you'd have to charge them at home but it would still make the job so much easier.

13. stevehoffman

stevehoffman New Member

do you see a significant difference between RGB and RGBA?

DJstevieray:

When setting up the uplights in the real world, how much better (if at all) do you find the RBGA in comparison to RBG?

A lot of the replies to this thread have discussed other aspects to lighting (LED vs PAR, battery-operated vs wired, etc). I am very interested in the answer to this question: assuming one is getting LED (whether battery or wired), how much is the color palette improved if getting the "A" (amber) in addition to the RBG? Again, all other things being equal!

Thanks for your reply.

14. Djjoeeb

Djjoeeb Entertainment Director/DJ

20 Blizzard Q6A fixtures - RGBA quad LED.

Previously had 20 Slimpar 64s, but recently sold them to a fellow DJ.

15. Bob Dietrich

Bob Dietrich Active Member

All par cans now...20 some 38's, 12 46's, 8 or 10 56's and 12 64's.

It's nice to use a 38 or 46 for a contrasting light shade with a deep color on a 64. Also, smaller walls it's tough to beat the 38's.

16. djstevieray

djstevieray Somewhere On Hoth

@Steve,
    Definately better color mixing from my rgba's, but if I am doing red/green/blue or purple or an off shade of those colors, I definitely get a brighter light from the RGB's. Pick your posion. If you need autumn shades the rgba does help a lot.

@Joe,
    Did you get my message about getting together for a Eclipse lesson?

17. Hits

Hits New Member

I saw some of these the other day. Serious on picking up some of these.

18. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

48 Par 38 cans - All I will use for uplighting rooms

16 SlimPar 64's & 8 Megabar50 RGB RC - For dancefloor uplighting

If I were to use LED's for room uplighting, I'd use Chauvet SlimPar Pro RGBA's

19. Jerry Taylor

Jerry Taylor New Member

20 Chauvet Slimpar 56's

20. Djjoeeb

Djjoeeb Entertainment Director/DJ

Steve,

Yes I did - I'll keep you posted. TY.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.