1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

I Want A Tablet, But I'm Clueless...HELP!

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by DJSTEVEZ, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

OK, so I've got Tablet fever...after seeing just about everybody and their brother rocking one here in Aruba (and I don't mean just the Nooks & Kindles either...although there are plenty of them) I'm kinda hooked. Problem is I don't know much about them.

The iPad interests me, but my phone is Android & the rest of my machines are Windows...can there be inter-OS-Platform harmony? What about no ports of the iPad...I'd like to load it with some tunes...and for that matter can VDJ be used in any form on the iPad?

I guess basic surfing, media downloading/playing/streaming, & e-mail would be the primary functions on any tablet I get. I would like to run VDJ if possible, but it's not a deal breaker. Any screen smaller than an iPad would be pretty much useless to me. Do the tablets operate as cell phones? I don't think I'd need that. I'd be more than happy to just plug into available WiFi rather than have to subscribe to another f-in Data package...but I don't even know if that's an option.

I think that pretty much covers my primary concerns and needs. I went to cnet.com and untypically what I found there wasn't very helpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANX! -Z-

2. DJSkinnyGuy

DJSkinnyGuy Active Member

i have an android phone. really love the turn-by-turn on android navigation. that alone makes it hard for me to switch to an iphone. other than that, an iOS or android PHONE is fine by me.

but for TABLETS, i have to say ipad. there are tons more apps and they are much more polished on iOS. i chose an ipad for my tablet. phones, meh....i can wait to see what the iphone 5 will be like and what new android phones will be like at that time. siri doesn't sell it for me.

really wish nokia would put android on their phones...

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Mobile Beat Moderator Staff Member

When you see VDJ on the ipad you will sh... It's pretty cool :) Remember it's just the remote for the program. I just got an ipad 1 last week on eBay for a pretty good price. It's used but like new. I now have 4 people I work with that now want one. You can tether the ipad off of your phone. As stated apps are what make the experience and some are really really cool. My problem with android is that it is a direct rip off of the iphone. Blackberry is in a world of hurt so the playbook is out. Dell and HP are already getting out of that business and the galaxy is the same price.

4. robertbenda

robertbenda Active Member

You'll have to figure out what you want to be able to do with the tablet. Depending on what you do on the web, iPad's exclusion of Flash could be an issue. The stripped down, but beautiful Amazon tablet could be great for it's price point if it does what you want. Otherwise, expect $500, whether it's an Android or iPad.

Google iPad vs. Android, read the first few articles, educate yourself a bit, then go out and play with some tablets and see if you like the interfaces.

5. Johnny Dee

Johnny Dee Website Design & Success Moderator Staff Member

Check out the Acer Iconia Tablet running Windows 7 pro.

The tablet even comes with a full size docking keyboard, has WiFi, Bluetooth, touch screen, etc. It can even be tethered to Matt's android phone for internet access without spending an additional monthly fee.

We are using it as a remote to run our SAC mixing console as well as running Elation Emulation lighting software. He also uses it for our business.

This is a pix of it with our small SAC setup from this past Fridays event. He used it to walk around the room and adjust the mix as well as stood next to the musicians to set their monitor mixes.

[​IMG]

6. Jason Cathcart

Jason Cathcart New Member

7. bobbyd

bobbyd Member

Do you need a tablet for anything? Probably not. If you want the best toy in the playground, get an I pad.

8. Tim English

Tim English Active Member

I use an Android phone, and an iPad. In my opinion, Android is better on the phone, but iOS is better on the tablet. There are 2 key features on the iPad that can't be matched with an Android tablet at this time.

1. 10 hour battery life
    2. Instant usability... in other words, when you snap the smart cover open on an iPad, you can immediately start using any app you want, even if the app requires internet. Android devices seem to take a little while to reconnect to the internet and become fully usable from a sleep.

I like the fact that I can answer my phone at any time, snap open the iPad and instantly go to work as if I've got my entire office in front of me.

9. Cap

Cap Always At Your Service

Steve : +1 for the Xoom. I have the WiFi model. Use it at weddings instead of handheld planner paperwork. Use it at meetings for paperless note taking. Use it (video, which is really quite amazing in clarity) at bowling to diagnose delivery issues. Use it as a mini-mixer for ceremonies and/or cocktail hour music playlists.

Cons: Does not accept all Droid apps (yet).

10. robertbenda

Ha, took me a second to get what you're doing, there.

11. RhinoRider

RhinoRider Member

Only problem I see is that the Ipad has VDJ. and the Android version do not.

I was thinking about getting the Samsung Galaxy 10.1-- which is a Ipad 2 killer.

but if you use another program to run music like CAP does. should be fine

12. Cap

Cap Always At Your Service

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  13. robertbenda

2nd Caps App.

My issue with the iPad, apart from a lack of Flash, is no USB, and no memory expansion. So, if I wanted to use my tablet to DJ, my mp3 library wouldn't fit unless I reworked things, and to transfer it to I'd have to go over a wifi connection. Not the biggest problems in the world, but Apple's 'ease of use' isn't a big feature for me, since I don't think the well made Androids (Xoom, Galaxy) are overly complicated, but for the same price (or less) can give me the USB and memory I want.

14. djlurch

djlurch New Member

My computer arsenal is Windows based. My phone is Android. And I love my iPad.

The form factor, design, ease of use, and app store are the key advantages. The lack of Flash, SD slot, USB Connection, and very tightly controlled (and proprietary nature) are the disadvantages.

I use my iPad WAY more than I ever expected to. On the couch, in the car, at the table, "reading time", and more. I've also used it at events as a paper planner replacement (store my DJEP planning forms to dropbox), instant music download source (iTunes), and for ceremonies.

15. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

You guys never disappoint!!! I too have an issue with lack of flash & no USB on the iPad, so it's looking like Motorola Xoom. The wife is "between" jobs right now so I may end up taking the advice of cnet who states that there is a virtual glut of really phenomenal tablets coming out in the next 6 to 12 months and thus buying one now with a 2 year commitment may result in a lot of self kicking. I met a woman here in Aruba who said she has a family member who works for Apple. Long story short is allegedly the iPads 1 & 2 will look like etch-a-sketches when compared to what iPad 3 will be able to do and is going to have in it. I hate to say this, but perhaps with the shift in leadership at Apple maybe we can expect the capacity to increase memory, flash & USB. We'll see. Thanx guys! -Z-

16. djlouie atlanta

djlouie atlanta New Member

Hey Steve,

Thanks to your post, I started doing a little research since I am catching some of your fever and want to get my first tablet as well. I found people raving about the "coming soon" Xoom 2 supossed to be the ..... by Christmas. Let us know which route you go with :)

17. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Mobile Beat Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  18. unlimitedsounds

unlimitedsounds Active Member

I have one of the $99 #@GB WEBOS HP TABLETS! awesome for surfing, email, etc.. you can still find them for about $240 ...... I have mine running a custom KERNEL and overclocked and its very fast AND has FULL FLASH SUPPORT

19. unlimitedsounds

unlimitedsounds Active Member

OH and BTW - there will be an android PORT for the HP TOUCHPAD...

20. Billabong

Billabong Rock Lobster

Check out the Acer Iconia A500. 10" Android tablet with a full-size USB port. *Allegedly* you could hook a USB drive up to it and use it as storage (maybe for a simple/backup DJ set up?). This is the tablet I am leaning towards purchasing. I have an Android phone and I like the OS. I use Gmail/Gapps for almost everything, plus I like the "hackability" of it.

Although, the iPad is looking more appealing every time I see an ad for a new app.

*I say allegedly because I have not tried it hands-on myself personally. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.