1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Here's another Active Subwoofer option ~ Crest Audio LQ15

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by Jackie, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackie

Jackie New Member

[​IMG]

128dB SPL peak output @ 33Hz

1000 watts continuous power with GCL™ circuitry or…

500 watts subwoofer power with 500 watts to power full-range satellite speakers!

Standalone, electronic 2-way or three-channel operation

Built-in CPS-1203 Spectrum Enhancement circuitry

15-inch cast-aluminum frame low frequency transducer with Kevlar®-impregnated cone, 4-inch long-excursion voice coil and massive Focused Field™ magnet structure (output rivals most 18-inch woofers)

Self-venting Class H amplifier with huge toroid transformer

Stereo/mono switch

Input level control

Stereo dual-purpose balanced XLR/1/4" TRS and RCA inputs plus XLR signal pass-thru and ground lift switch

XLR High Pass (120Hz, 24dB/oct) outputs with ground lift switch

Neutrik® Speakon® outputs to left and right satellite speakers

13-ply Baltic Birch enclosure coated with truck-bed-quality polyamide

Baked-on powder paint grille

Integral pole mount cup

Removable castor rollers

Steel, recessed side handles

Weight-balanced for easy transportation and set-up

1000-WATTS! Add massive low bass to any speaker system with the most versatile subwoofer ever!
    Hands down, this is one of the most amazing active subwoofers ever designed.
    Not only does it have the ability to drive satellite speakers but it also includes Spectrum Enhancement circuitry from our CPS-1203.
    You can add LQ-15PSWs to any existing passive or active sound reinforcement system — or pair ‘em with our LQ™ and CPT™ Series for extra octaves of tight, steel-fisted bass.

The woofer alone is awesome.
    If you know anything about low frequency transducers you’ll appreciate this one. Cast aluminum frame. Kevlar®-impregnated cone. Four-inch voice coil with a 1.15-inch winding (80% longer than standard woofers) for better heat dissipation and long cone travel. Epoxy winding overcoat. Copper ribbon leads. Nomex® spider. And a 20-pound magnet structure cold-forged from ultra-low carbon steel billet.
    It’s powered by a thousand-watt Class H amplifier with a huge toroid transformer. Gain Compensation Limiting (GCL™) lets the amp work to its maximum without audible clipping.

A whole “rack” of signal-enhancing electronics inside.
    The LQ-15PSW can deliver so much bass that we’ve added Spectrum Enhancement circuitry to create more by synthesizing frequencies an octave below the program material. And because the LQ-15PSW can also run full-range satellite systems, there’s a treble Xpanse control. See page 12 for a full explanation of this unique circuit.
    Also included are two stereo electronic crossovers which can be used at the same time! (one for high pass and one for satellite speakers), infrasonic filter and speaker protection.

Quality on the outside, too.
    The LQ-15PSW is built of 13-ply Baltic birch “so dense we had to turn up the air guns to put screws into it” as Jon Risch, one of its developers noted. The enclosure is coated with polyamide, the same material used for aftermarket spray-on truck bed linings. Since the Kevlar-impregnated cone is weather-resistant, we made sure the powder-coated grille paint is, too.
    And because the LQ-15PSW isn’t exactly feather-weight, we added integral, industrial-grade castor rollers on the back and hefty, cast-steel handles on each side.

Don’t buy a subwoofer until you’ve heard (and felt) the LQ-15PSW.
    No other sub can enhance bass and actually create more of it. No other sub can do double duty as the amp for a full-range system. And few if any have the sheer impact of the LQ-15PSW. Check it out at your Crest Performance dealer today.

--------

It's 112lbs.. a little heavy, but it can power TWO satellite speakers.

Hmm... maybe just what i need PLUS two SX300 for my smaller gigs.

2. djmm

djmm Active Member

Don't flame me for my opinion but I think the cabinet is ugly.

I could never take that into a wedding....

It propably sounds great!

3. maestro

maestro Active Member

Just get the grill powder-coated black, no biggie... :roll:

4. djmm

djmm Active Member

Um, no.

Just because the grill is black won't make the cabinet any more appealing.

It screams "cheap" to me...

Sorry... just my opinion. I am sure most will like it though...

Scott

5. djdawg

djdawg New Member

I actually LOVE the grill look. It's funny because the same thing was said by several people about the new Peavey speakers. They have a similar silver grill on the front. Guess you love it or hate it. I like it...it's kind of a retro look.

What about price?

Does Crown have matching active two way speakers for this system?

6. djmm

djmm Active Member

I expected that... I also do not like the look of the new Peavey's.

Call me old fashioned but the new retro look is maybe a bit too retro for me...

Scott

7. djdawg

djdawg New Member

Having a really hard time finding anyone that carries Crest...even locally. Anyone know of a dealer online?

8. Brandon Fisher

Brandon Fisher New Member

Dawg,
    I can pick up crest as a dealer pretty easy if there is enough interest.

9. maxx502

maxx502 New Member

my subs are always hidden, even a pair of T36's can be hidden from frontal view. this is the first cabinet with a non black grille that I like the look of. The peaveys are bad and the EV Gladiator's are hideous. retro can be a very bad thing. If the LQ15PSW sounds half as good as the LQ12(which sounds incredible for its price) I'm game.

10. DJ TimM

DJ TimM New Member

but what is the price?

11. Jackie

Jackie New Member

double post

12. Jackie

Jackie New Member

not exactly sure, they list at $1800.... and i think i saw them advertised for $1200

So Im guessing... around $1000 - 1200.

It's not too bad considering it can power itself plus two satellite speakers (sub + amp).

13. Bob Dietrich

Bob Dietrich New Member

I will reserve any opinions until having actually heard the unit as actual performance is all hearsay at this point. One thing that does cause concern for me is the onboard subharmonic synthesizer. Most units takes a bass line and synthesizes another note exactly 1 octave lower. If done correctly, this can really add some foundation to a lot of tose disco hits from the 70 & 80's and make some of the real oldies sound much fresher. However, there are very few units I've ever used that doesn't have some serious issues of making the bass sound muddy and quite frankly, much worse than the original. dbx is the only thing I've used that handles this best. The old and discontnued dbx 120X-DS is the best I've ever used with the DriverackPA coming in second. They also have their pro 120XP units that does a good job. The Peavey Cosmos also does a pretty fair job as a sub synth too. Most others I've heard sound horrible.

Now, new music simply doesn't need any augmenting and can make an already bloated bass line sound equally horrible. I have no idea how this unit works, but would love to try it out as a good sub synth can definitely make a sub system be perceived as bigger and deeper to be sure.

14. maestro

maestro Active Member

I have played bass for over 20 years and I agree with Bob entirely. :D

15. minty fresh

minty fresh New Member

I owned a pair of CREST AUDIO LQ-15P for short time. When I say short time, I mean 1 week. They were the worst sounding speaker I ever heard. A pair of JBL Eons or Mackie SRM450 would sound so much better. Not sure if they improved the sound quality from these powered speakers, but the one I used was horrible.
    [/url]

16. soundmantb

soundmantb New Member

The subharmonic synthisizer in the Crest powered box is actually a rendition of the Peavey - Kosmos. Peavey purchased Crest a few years back, so many of the amplifier, loudspeaker (Quadra's) and small consoles are very similar due to the fact they are re-labled with models numbers from their sister brands.

However, the higher end Crest consoles and Crest amplifiers are still coming out of NewJersey, (R&D) but much of the manufacturing is done at Peavey in Mississippi (last I heard anyways).

This box looks much like the Impulse 115P in Peaveys line-up. Although I haven't compared specs to see if they are the same thing.

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.