1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Guitar Center GOING OUT OF BUSINESS?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DJSTEVEZ, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

2. AlbanyAMS

AlbanyAMS Capital Disc Jockeys

Got a link?

3. DJ Iron Mike

DJ Iron Mike New Member

the one in my town seems to be fine. Check to see if it's just that location.

4. Cerebro

Cerebro New Member

I was just at my guitar center 2hrs ago. I probably seen $3,000 worth of sales done in less then 20 minutes. The one in my area has more business than they know what to do with. Their problem is that you have to wait up to 15 minutes to have someone help you.

I kinda wondered how they can stay in business selling everything @ cost.

5. DJ Iron Mike

DJ Iron Mike New Member

Especially at the mall here in my town where they are located. their rent is = to the national debt. The mall isn't worth all that.

6. rbrearey

rbrearey New Member

This has been bouncing around for the last 1 1/2 years at least, since right around the time the shareholders approved the sale to Bain Capital in September 2007 (The sale was final in October 2007.). They were saying then they'd be closed before Christmas of that year. If Bain wanted to liquidate them, they would've done it a lot sooner. They have modified their hours a bit (The stores near me don't open until 11 AM now), but everything seems to be the same.

7. Hits

Hits New Member

Our store here is doing pretty well. I frequent it quite a bit. They have some pretty decent sales from time to time. I hope they don't close because its a convienent place to get something with out waiting to have it shipped to you.

8. Ken Heath

Ken Heath Super Moderator...da-ta-daaa!!! Staff Member

11AM???

That's nearly the crack of noon! Musicians cannot be expected to be out of bed, much less dressed and at work at such ongodly hours of the night can they???

:rolleyes:

The sun is out...don't most practicing musicians turn to dust if it hits them directly?

9. DJPop

DJPop Uh, My Real Name is Jay.

I love the Guitar Center near me. Its like a playground for adults..lol

If I am not mistaken, Guitar Center = Musicians Friend

same company

10. DJ Dave

DJ Dave New Member

The guitar center here is doing pretty well too. Best buy in right down the street to give strict competition. I have been in the market for a new drum kit and niether of them have a good deal.

11. Doug Fairbanks

Doug Fairbanks Member

Bain Capital is one of Clear Channel's financiers, if that means anything!

12. DJ Ron Auger

DJ Ron Auger Account Closed

Best Buy sells drum kits? Don't think I'd pick on up there. I know even some Walmarts were selling cheap line instruments.

Out GS's in MA don't open until 11:00am either.

13. bjojade

bjojade New Member

How often do you need sound gear before 11:00 AM anyway?

14. Dan Zynda Mobile Music

Dan Zynda Mobile Music New Member

Some gigs are pretty early in the morning, like festivals or you have to go out of town later that day for the gig. Especially if you have to drive an hour or two just to get to the store.

15. DJ Dave

DJ Dave New Member

I don't shop GC for DJ gear unless I'm in pinch. I go there for drum hardware, sticks and the like.

16. len

len New Member

Yeah, BB is branching out into musical instruments and maybe pro audio as well. You won't find it in every store. In Chicagoland I think they have one instrument store in the whole area. They're likely just testing the waters before they put up more of them.

And all should do more homework before spending any money at GC or Sam Ash. Their "final" price is still higher than one could get from Bill or Biff or the other vendors who post here in most cases. The only time I buy at GC is when I have the time to go in and find something mis-marked, etc.

17. Bill_Goode

Bill_Goode Mobile Beat Moderator Staff Member

I have reduced them to convenience store status. If I need a 1/4" cable or a last-minute light bulb for a Vertigo, fine.

For everything else, I have learned that the easiest, best, and less expensive route is to call ESC, DJ Supply, NorthernLight FX, or Six Star DJ.

GC has three outlets in the ATL. One is sort of OK, the other two can KMA!

Even Musicians Friend if a fiasco to deal with, not worth the effort.

If you have MF or GC house charge, one cannot be used at another, and HSBC will only allow you ONE card in that chain!

Forget them, I will use the best. They advertise on ProDJ, and offer the best prices and better-than-excellent service!

Heck, Bill even gives bad jokes for free! :D

18. bb

bb Active Member

So let me get this right. DJs are putting DJs are of business becasue of the price battles and lowering of rates to book an event.

DJs and Bands are putting stores out of business because we want to beat them down to the last dollar or threaten to buy elsewhere.

Glad I'm an Entertainer.

19. len

len New Member

You should try out for the Olympics. With leaps in logic like that you're a shoe-in for a gold.

20. Bill_Goode

Bill_Goode Mobile Beat Moderator Staff Member

My post had nothing to do on pricing.

Pricing is only part of it. Service and an easy buying experience are almost worth more than just tire-kicking for me.

If I order something, I want it shipped when they say it will be shipped, I want it to work, and I want a competetive deal. I do not beat up vendors over bargain-basement pricing. Just ask Ben, Biff, or Bill!

Simply, I want to be treated like I treat others. The ProDJ gear vendors do just that!!

Incredible....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.