1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

dropbox

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Scott Hanna, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Scott Hanna

Scott Hanna Member

I would think most people have this already. But if you don't, now they give an extra 500mg of storage in addition to the free 2g when you sign up through a referral. Anybody that signs up through you, you get an additional 500mb and so do they.

I use it on all of my computers, ipads, and phones. Invaluable tool...FREE

use the link and get the additional 500mb...and yes...so do i.

http://db.tt/xgmNXiI

2. djmm

djmm Active Member

The problem is, 2 gigs is not enough. in fact, 100 gigs is not enough. They offer nothing over 100 gigs unless you go with the corporate program.

It would be great if they offered enough for a dj's entire collection.

3. Scott Hanna

Scott Hanna Member

it's not really designed to be a complete system back up. I find it very handy to move files from one place to another and to all devices like ipads and phones.

4. waasta

waasta Account Closed

Agreed. I just used it 10 minutes ago to install a font on three different computers. Put it in my dropbox folder, fired up TeamViewer (another awesome program, thanks Steve Lynch!) and bam! put Snell Roundhand on all of my computers, all from my laptop while sitting on my couch. The photo booth computer, my office computer downstairs, and my gig computer. Granted they all have to be on (otherwise dropbox syncs when it gets an internet connection) but it's really, really handy.

5. Old_Goat

Old_Goat Senior LDJC Member

Been a fan of "The Cloud" for a long time. Started out with "Driveway" back in the L-90's. I use Dropbox as well as the few GB I get from other sources such as MicroSoft, Google and Amazon. There are even cloud BASED operating systems, (JoliCloud and ChromeBook), that do a nice job and provide some storage, as well.

The pros and cons of cloud computing are all over the map. For me, it's about file transfer, as well. Am I going to image my drive to it? No. Am I going to store my tax records on it? No. Even with encryption...why take a chance that your data would either disappear or corrupt...even accidentally...for something "sensitive"? That's what back-ups are for. But all in all, for a text here and a pic there, it's good stuff.

6. unlimitedsounds

unlimitedsounds Active Member

I have used dropbox sincve it was first introduced.. I have 3.8GB by referring people and using a beta client on ANDROID.. its very handy. I keep some forms there, and lots of other stuff I use a lot. very handy when I am at a different computer and need a few files... I even use it to install programs on my android phone that I download from my PC..

7. Cap

Cap Always At Your Service

Has anyone checked their computers and observed how much clutter that program throws on your hard drive? Invasive. Very invasive and monstrous clutter.

8. RobbyRob

RobbyRob Member

you can use it without downloading the desktop software. just use the web browser to manipulate files.

9. Old_Goat

I don't use the local software. I use it strictly cloud. Well...except in LiNUX. There, I run the local package. As usual in the distros of LiNUX that I use, it doesn't bloat. Almost nothing does. Either way, I like it and use it. It IS a convenient way to transfer or C&P files to all of my machines when I need to do that.

10. Tim English

Tim English Active Member

I pay for the 50 Gig service. It is an essential part of operating my businesses from the cloud with multiple employees. Between Dropbox, Gigbuilder and Google Apps, any employee has access to everything I want them to from any computer. No installed software needed, just an internet connection and log in information. I even put company procedures and documentation on an internal Google Sites wiki.

11. Old_Goat

Perfect. This is a case of "use according to label directions".

With all of the "stuff" happening these days, at the speed they're happening...ya just can't argue with it if you do it "right".