1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Covering Uplighting Cables

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by afineaffairdj, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afineaffairdj

afineaffairdj Member

Hi there,

We are new to uplighting. I've bought 12 slim par 64 LED lights, and I'm going to get DMX cables to link them.

The first potential client I spoke with about the uplighting said that their venue does not allow any tape on the carpet (even carpet-safe tape).

I would like to be able to daisy-chain as much as possible (DMX and power cables).

I've been looking at floor cord cover kits like the ones below, but they seem to be designed for more permanent applications (or at least not taken up within hours of installation) and I'm not sure if they would lay flat unless they were taped down (which would defeat the purpose).

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/floorcordcoverkit.php

http://www.cableorganizer.com/neoprene-cord-cover/

http://www.cableorganizer.com/cord-covers/economical.htm

http://www.electriduct.com/Cable-Shield.html

My question to the to the great DJs here is how do you run your uplighting cords so that it looks presentable and guests do not trip?

2. RobbyRob

RobbyRob Member

Ive never been in a venue that didn't allow us to use gaffer tape to cover wires

3. afineaffairdj

afineaffairdj Member

Thanks, Rob - that is what I was thinking I would do. Maybe this client will just need to rent battery operated, wireless DMX lights from someone else. Have you ever had any issues with damaging carpet or flooring with gaffer tape?

4. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

5. afineaffairdj

afineaffairdj Member

Thanks Nick. Those would probably sit flatter. Do you use something like that or do you tape cables down for uplighting?

6. NickyB

I normally use 3" black gaffers tape because I've yet to run into a venue with any objections.

7. afineaffairdj

afineaffairdj Member

Have you ever had any problems damaging the carpet/floor when you remove the tape?

8. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

Real gaffe tape will not damage flooring, especially carpet. But you have to use real gaffe tape, not black duct tape-which is probably someone else used. People use stuff like Gorilla tape thinking it's just as good. But good gaffe tape is made to hold, then let go without residue. Educate the facility as to the difference and they should be fine with it. I certainly wouldn't invest in an expensive alternative just because they don't understand the difference.

9. afineaffairdj

afineaffairdj Member

That's a good idea to just call the venue directly. I think I'll do that first thing Monday. Thanks Brian!

10. afineaffairdj

afineaffairdj Member

That's a good idea to just call the venue directly. I think I'll do that first thing Monday. Thanks Brian!

11. waasta

waasta Account Closed

Brian is spot-on. I've run across two or three venues that didn't allow any tape at all, but once you educate the owners on gaff tape (and a demonstration helps, too) they always have then let me use it. It always seems to be venues that are in podunk towns where they've generally experienced podunk DJs with duct tape or other residue-leaving, non-professional tape.

12. djcraig

djcraig New Member

Cable protectors may be more trouble than they're worth and create more of a hazard. Anybody got a good source for gaffers tape? It can be a bit expensive.

wedding uplighting los angeles

13. BillESC

BillESC Member

A roll of quality 2" gaffers tape is under $ 20.00 and should last quite a few gigs. Doesn't seem all that expensive to me.

14. UNDJ

UNDJ New Member

+1 for gaffers tape.

15. NickyB

Bill @ ESC is a good source for gaffers tape. I just got two rolls of 3" from hime a couple weeks ago as I was more than halfway through my last roll. He shipped it within two days.

16. afineaffairdj

afineaffairdj Member

Thank you for the info! I'll get some from Bill.

17. djmbr01

djmbr01 Account Closed

18. BillESC

BillESC Member

The link is for 2" tape. Keep in mind, not all "Gaffers" tape is created equal. Permacel P-665 was for years the gold standard of Gaffers Tape and near the end ran $ 31.50 for a 2" roll. Shuretape the manufacturer discontinued the Permacel brand in 2007. The same tape is now available as Shuretape P-665.

19. djmbr01

djmbr01 Account Closed

Sorry,

Corrected link: http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-J90-Glos...1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1336578938&sr=1-1-catcorr

Also here: http://www.thetapeworks.com/tape/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=42_46_102

20. Maverick

Maverick Pumping It Up

Why do you want to DMX them are they dance lighting? We have literally over the last 4 years or more done 1 event that we have linked them DMX....its a royal PITA and unless your charges ALOT more for its not worth it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.