1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Country Music - Questions/Discussions about Country Music!

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by jwg, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwg

jwg New Member

This thread is where you can post your questions on Country music and share ideas for playlists.

2. jwg

jwg New Member

Here are the CMA winners from last night...

ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
    KEITH URBAN

MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
    KEITH URBAN

FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
    GRETCHEN WILSON

DUO OF THE YEAR
    BROOKS & DUNN

GROUP OF THE YEAR
    RASCAL FLATTS

HORIZON AWARD
    DIERKS BENTLEY

SONG OF THE YEAR
    "Whiskey Lullaby" written by BILL ANDERSON and JON RANDALL

SINGLE OF THE YEAR
    "I May Hate Myself In The Morning" - LEE ANN WOMACK

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
    "There's More Where That Came From" - LEE ANN WOMACK

VOCAL EVENT OF THE YEAR
    "Good News, Bad News" - GEORGE STRAIT and LEE ANN WOMACK

VIDEO OF THE YEAR
    "As Good As I Once Was" - TOBY KEITH

3. CWR

CWR New Member

:sleeping: :sleeping:

4. Kacimlangford

Kacimlangford Bose L1 Double B1 DJ

I agree with most except Gretchen Wilson. She is riding the Redneck woman coattails way tooooooo long.

She isn't that talented and seems like a fluzy to me.

5. Chris Moe

Chris Moe One Clueless Dude

Karl,

Who would have been your choice for female artist instead of Gretchen?

I am glad to see country music coming back to its roots instead of trying to become more and more like Top 40. I like the sound of a lot on country radio again these days. Heck, even Garth's new song sounds more country than anything that he has done in a long time. I still listen to Top 40 and Talk (KFAN if I can get it) on the radio way more than country.

I know that Keith Urban is huge right now, but I still don't think that he is really the best male artist in country music. I would give that to Toby although he is starting to overstay his welcome a bit. He might need to take a year off.

And, wasn't "Whiskey Lullaby" from early 2004? How about Dierks Bentley with the Horizon Award? I thought that he has been around for a few years already.

6. Kacimlangford

Chris,

How about Sara Evans? She has a real voice compared to Gretchen. Her voice is smooth, Gretchen's rough from too much skoal and Marlboros.

Sara has 2 or 3 children she brings with on the road but still puts out great music.

All my opinion of course.

7. turtletraxx

turtletraxx New Member

I hate to break it to you guys, but..................

Country music was on the steep decline until country music became crossover material. Remember, as time goes on, new generations of listeners come on board. Country music has become fun as well as a bit 'retro' to the young people who never heard of Jim Reeves, Waylon Jennings, et al.

Gretchen Wilson is great. She's appealing to those who actually participate and frequent all those honky tonk bars across America.

Shania and SheDaisy do the same thing.

As far as Brooks 'n' Dunn, they are awesome. They play the music we all want to hear.

There are so many great country performers nowadays. It's hard to pick a favorite.

8. Kacimlangford

All opinion and of course that is what we all have.

I for one, don't care for her. She is riding the popularity of Redneck Woman and maybe Here for the party. Nothing else she has released is any good. Maybe good but not even close to great. All jacked up sucks.

I realize that country was on the decline but thanks to Garth brooks in the early 1990's, it made a comeback.

I like shedaisy. Can't stand Shania Twain. Faith Hill was better before Tim and Tim's new stuff isn't that good either.

I like classic country. I am going to go see Walk the line. It looks very good.

9. Chris Moe

Chris Moe One Clueless Dude

Karl,

That's a good choice too. I love Sara Evans.

I'm glad to see Shania is on the decline. She really needs to reinvent herself. I think that her song, "I Ain't No Quitter" was a step in the right direction. It is actually twangy and country, but still Shania. She used to be more country before she met Mutt Lange (and then married him...dang). I do like her music, but the pop-country has become tired to me anyway.

Good to see people chiming in on this subject!

10. cdickerson

cdickerson New Member

Heh, I think it's the exact opposite. Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban...No country music talent in any of those guys (just my honest opinion).

How is Cross Canadian Ragweed or Deryl Dodd not getting any play?

11. ou812

ou812 New Member

I totally agree, as I have seen both Gretchen and Sara. Honestly, Gretchen will probably not be around that long in my opinion, as she was pretty lifeless and didnt sound that good to me. For as good of songs as she has on her album, she didnt really get into it....I was really disappointed in her lack of energy. I think Sammy Hagar has about 1000 times more energy and he just turned 57!

Sara Evans does not carry on and really rock the house, but she has a great deep voice, and great songs....much more likely to be around for a long time. The only thing I didnt care for was her husband was running for some political office and came up on stage and was trying to rally votes (this is in Oregon) for himself.....tacky, and he seemed like a dipshit. Just my opinion.....maybe I was jealous of him being married to her...lol.

12. turtletraxx

turtletraxx New Member

I really enjoy reading the responses here, however....

Guys, 'some' of you are sooo clueless! Stop thinking about what you like for a moment (as DJ's), and start thinking about what the general public wants to hear!

Gretchen Wilson's "All Jacked Up" is HUGE!!! It's a great 2-step and a BIG TIME floor filler! It's what we call a "Jump Up & Gotta Dance" song.

Craig Morgan's "Redneck Yacht Club", Dierks Bentley "A Lot Of Leavin' Left To Do", Joe Nichols' "Tequila makes Her Clothes Fall Off".... great dance tunes.

And let's not forget about Sugarland! Whoa, that gal can sing!

Dancin' is what it's ALL about!

13. DJPop

DJPop Uh, My Real Name is Jay.

YEE HAW!!!!

:lol:

14. Kevin Nichols

Kevin Nichols Active Member

I agree, Sugarland rocks!! I just went last week and saw them and Brad Paisley. Let me tell you, Brad can flat tear up a guitar. It was one of the best concerts I have been to in a while.

I have to say that the CMT special called Gretchen Wilson Undressed, was good as well. She keeps her music simple and twangy and that's just the way I like it.

I learned something from a DJ friend that I will always remember....If you like it, it won't work for the crowd to dance to. There are always going to be the standards that we play, but we need to be open to new stuff that will become the standards.

And you want to talk about no talent....have you looked at Hip Hop lately???? :roll:

Kev

15. turtletraxx

turtletraxx New Member

Oh, Kev.....puuuulleeeeease don't get me started on flip flop.... I mean Hip Hop! :shock:

Personally, guys, I could care what they look like or sound like in concert, as long it's good dancin' music and I can tear up the floor.

Git'er done! :D

16. djthawk

djthawk New Member

Karl, Did you miss something Gretchen Wilsons All Jacked up was her latest hit song. Brooks & Dunns Play Something Country has also be requested alot in my area.

17. cdickerson

cdickerson New Member

I understand that what I like may not be what the masses like and so on, but, can you honestly tell me that All Jacked Up is a good song? Don't get me wrong, I like Gretchen, but that song is nothing but her hollaring into the mic. When I play it, I find myself riding the master volume down lower and lower as the song goes.

And As Good As I Once Was is a flat out terrible song. I know the general public likes it, but that's probably because radio shoved it down their throat every fifth song when it came out. Have you listened to the lyrics though? It's cheesey as could be.

There are some good tried and true country artists out there, but they get no national air play. You only get to hear what Nashville execs want you to hear.

18. mike bendavid

mike bendavid New Member

For the person that said that Alan Jackson, Keith Urban and and Brad Paisley and Toby Keith has no talent, they have been on the the Texas curcuit way too long. Those guys are great artists, song writers and have impacted country music greatly.

There is a very large amount of Texas artists that don't make it out of the Texas curcuit, they play all the larger venues and really don't need to go out of the state to make a living. That's great for them, but to say that others aren't talented is showing that you are really not in the loop about national country groups. Pat Green is the first out of the major Texas groups that really broke out of the Texas model and went national and has others following close behind. When you can make the amount of money that you can from one state, there really is no reason to go large and travel out of the area. Country music in Texas is so popular with a lot of great Texas made groups that the curcuit works great for what it is.

Now onward about country music.

Toby Keith is going gang busters his music is played on country and non-country stations across the U.S.

George Strait is selling out every place he plays.

Tim McGraw sold out the Hollywood Bowl, (first time for a country artist to do so in that venue)

Kenny Chesney, sells out every place he plays.

Keith Urban has been picking up awards all over the place with his guitar picking and singing.

These guys are stars, they connect with their audience and are really great in showmanship.

Brooks & Dunn are incredible in concert!

Country is huge at this time and getting stronger and stronger and very danceable at the same time.

They are down to Earth, good hard working singers that sing about items of popularity and you can understand what they are saying, unlike a lot of other types of music out there.

Mike Bendavid

19. mike bendavid

mike bendavid New Member

Nice to have a country only area on these boards! The sticky is a good start!

Mike Bendavid

20. Kacimlangford

There is a big difference in music that is good and music that gets people to dance. Yes Gretchen fills the floor and is popular, I just don't think she has talent. Let her sing some actual "Songs" instead of party tunes and see how she does.

Just like Big and Rich's new song, sounds like save a horst too much. They are a party band and not singers.

I will always use the floor fillers but I won't always like them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.