1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Bridge Mono vs Parallel Mono

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by DJSkinnyGuy, Feb 10, 2004.

?

bridge mono vs parallel mono

1. bridged

100.0%
  2. parallel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJSkinnyGuy

DJSkinnyGuy New Member

referring to another topic's post, is bridge mono really worth it? putting a lot of extra stress on your amp for a few decibels more? is the headroom space worth it?

i hope i setup this poll thing right...
  2. clevedj

clevedj New Member

parallel,

dont kill your amp,, Parallel is the way to go..

Ive been doing this over 12 years, And ive learned the hard way by pushing amps to hard...

Parallel is sooo smooth and just like the posts from the other Discussion, it will give you the trueness you are looking for..
  3. maxx502

maxx502 New Member

can someone explain paralell mono please.
  4. DJ_Larry_Ata

DJ_Larry_Ata New Member

Parallel mode:
    Using only one channel input, feeds both channel of the amp. Eliminating the "Y" adapters. You will have 2 channels with the same signal (mono).
  5. DJSkinnyGuy

DJSkinnyGuy New Member

did i even setup the poll thing right? i don't see any changes... :?
  6. MobileDJ

MobileDJ New Member

I tried to vote but it didn't work....

anyway, as long as you have the right ohm load on your amp, then there is nothing at all bad about bridged mono. Where you will run into problems is if the impedence drops too low, like 2ohms.

MOST DJ amps are most powerful at 4ohms, so if you can get a 4ohm load on the amp, it will not overstress it in any way.
  7. Aural Landscapes

Aural Landscapes New Member

Do you lose stereo sound when you go parallel on your tops?
  8. Light_It_Up

Light_It_Up New Member

we are not using the term stereo so um yeah
  9. maxx502

maxx502 New Member

the reason I asked on parallel mono is because there apparently diiferent ways to do it. 1 input channel or the Crown Macro-Tech way which will let you run as low as 1ohm. Running the 1 input channel way only uses the amp as y cable but doesn't net you any difference in power. for example, if you have a PLX3402 that you run in "parallel" mode with a pair of 8ohm subs you are sending each one of them 700watts. now if you take the same PLX3402 and run it in bridge mono mode with the same pair of 8ohm subs, you sending each sub 1700watts. thats A LOT of headroom!

If you have an amp that is designed to run at 2ohm stereo/4ohm bridge then bridgeing the amp is no problem. for instance, the PEAVEY PV line states that they are not recomended "for continuous 2ohm operation" while the crown CE4000 says that it is suitable for continuous 2 ohm use. The same holds true with the PLX line and many other "DJ amps". most Dj's cant afford nor are the willing to haul around the weight of an amplifier that is capable of producing 1500+watts @ 8 ohms(without being bridged) to drive their subs and have headroom to spare.
  10. sawdust123

sawdust123 New Member

Yes. But don't worry about it. Stereo is only effective if your audience is in the sweet spot. The layout of many situations prevents this. Hearing one channel of stereo (but not the other) is a lot worse sounding than two speaker mono (aka binaural).

In terms of perceived sound quality, there is a big difference between monaural (1 speaker) and binaural (2 speakers). The perceived quality difference between binaural and stereo is much smaller.

I actually have my setup configured in stereo. I use the stereo/mono switch on my mixer when I find myself in situations that demand mono. I would guess this occurs about 50% of the time.
  11. short_circutz

short_circutz New Member

With parallel mon, both channels of the amp carry the same signal. It is mainly used for low impedance loads. You hook the speaker to both the outputs (hence the name parallel).
  12. sawdust123

sawdust123 New Member

Travis,

Crown is the only vendor I have seen that discusses parallel mono configuration of the outputs. I don't recommend this for DJs. There is just too much room for things to go wrong in this configuration. Also, to run parallel mono outputs, the inputs must also be in parallel mono configuration.

Parallel mono usually refers to the inputs of both channels being hooked together in parallel fashion and the outputs of each channel are still hooked to separate loads.
  13. maestro

maestro Active Member

Hey Sawdust!

It's just that Bizarre Love Triangle sounds so damn good on the dance floor, in stereo! \:D/
  14. djecko

djecko New Member

Can someone put or draw a picture of a Pararell setup (speakers + cables+ amp)

Sorry i'm kind of confuse................. :oops:
  15. Aural Landscapes

Aural Landscapes New Member

Hey Light_It_Up,
    Why don't you lighten up on the sarcasm? Everyone is trying to learn here; I don't see what educational content your comment brought to the table.
  16. short_circutz

short_circutz New Member

The old JBL MPX series of amps had a parallel mono setting. Flick of a switch, plug into one channel's input, run the outputs in parallel to the low impedance load, and you were set to go.

The "poll", I think, is irrelevant, because you bridge an amp to get greater power out of it, and you run an amp in parellel mode to run low impedance loads. The two configurations are used for completely different situations.

An example... go to the JBLPro site, look at the manual for the MPX1200 amp. Look in the section for parallel-mono configuration, and it wiull tell you what that mode is used for.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.