1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Blizzard's new Puck Q12W fixture

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by NickyB, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

Hey all ...

I just purchased four of these new LED fixtures and I'm in the process of writing a complete evaluation which should be online later this week. All I can say thus far is that four on a T-bar as color fill has been awesome. I do need to put diffusion screens on them as looking back into the lights from the dance floor, these things are real "eyeball burners." Each fixture has twelve 10W quad-colored LEDs. I'm operating them in 4-channel dmx mode as I have no need for strobing capabilities which I'm sure would be very irritating. I opted for the RGBW version as opposed to the RGBA because I felt that adding white to most colors offered a better mix for pastels. To date, these appear to be the biggest bang for your buck in a flat/slim par format fixture and they are definitely plenty bright.

I'll keep you posted later in the week.

2. Hutt

Hutt Pro Dj groupie since 1996

sounds good.. why do they need to be so bright?? landing aircrafts..LOL

3. djstevieray

djstevieray Somewhere On Hoth

Nicky you should see the new Q12+'s RGBAW.

That's right a five color quad. It has 6 RGBA's, and 6 RGBW's.

[​IMG]

4. DJ Jonny T

DJ Jonny T New Member

Damn! And I just bought Blizzard Q6W's & Q6A's!

5. djstevieray

I don't mean to laugh, but you do know it's murphy's law....

6. NickyB

I think what's needed is a little "sales integrity." If a sales person KNOWS a newer or updated version will be available soon, they should at least make that fact known before taking your money. This kinda stuff just p_sses people off.

7. djstevieray

Nicky if I would have known about the earlier I would have shared the info, but I just recently found out myself. Besides Apple is one of the biggest marketing companies out there, but they don't disclose a thing before launch.

But just like computers you know in led lighting there is ALWAYS something newer next week. I just bought 8 Torrents and found out there is something better on the way.

8. DJ Jonny T

DJ Jonny T New Member

1) The 12 lights in one unit instead of 6 is really more then needed the vast majority of the time, in my opinion.
    2) Having the white and the amber in one unit would be nice, but with the added price, would have greatly increased total cost based on the number of lights I wanted. Having 12 of the Q6W's and 12 of the Q6A's works out quite well, and I got them for a great price.
    3) But I am surprised Will at Blizzard didn't say something when I asked him about RGBAW in one light technology. Not tri, or quad but cinco.?

9. djstevieray

Johnny as far as I know, there is nothing in the immediate works at Blizzard with RGBAW. I told Will I would like to see a RGBA-WW-CW, so they could be used as effective stage washes.

10. NickyB

OK - I now have an even dozen Q12's ...... four are Q12W's and the other eight are the Q12+'s ...... Can't wait to see them all together at a gig but I really don't have an uplighting gig until October 12th. I should have another 12 Q12+'s by then.

11. hippydog

hippydog wuz here when it was Red.

seems like a step backward to me..

if you tried to use all 12, then your back to the haloing effect. having a single point of light (IE: less haloing) is the primary reason why people really liked the quad LED's..

Next will be the Penta LED with RGBWA, and everyone will be wishing they waited ;-)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.