1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

blacklight rental help/feedback

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by djelite, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djelite

djelite some guy

hey guys, i've been quiet for a while around here... but i was hoping you could help me out.

i'm a student (my college is in durham, nc btw), and a group i'm in is throwing a blacklight party (which, for once, I'm not DJing), outdoors. it's a little tricky but i've been looking into decent blacklight cannon rentals. the only place i've found nearby is in raleigh. they have several "Nocturne" 400 watt UV flood lights which they'll rent to me for $78 for the weekend.

my question is this

1) i googled these fixtures and found no information. does anyone know anything about them? 400 watts sounds plenty powerful and im looking to rent 2-4 of them.

2) any precautions i should take?

3) does this seem a little steep to anyone?

4) does anyone else know any other places that rent blacklight fixtures, preferably in the triangle area?

thanks!

-Nick
  2. All Night Music

All Night Music New Member

The rental price seems a little steep to me, but take what yo can get. The cannons should put out (at 2-4) more than you should need.
  3. unlimitedsounds

unlimitedsounds Active Member

4. DOUBLE_PLAY

DOUBLE_PLAY New Member

I can cover a gym with 4 Elation UV washes. You should check out Guitar Center. By me they're having a huge sale/rebate on them.
  5. djelite

djelite some guy

I agree that the price looks a little steep, I don't think they're open on weekends so they charged me extra. Our budget just came in from the university though, and it looks doable.

The size of a gym is probably a good rule of thumb of the space I'm working with. 4 should be plenty then. they have two smaller fixtures too- maybe two big ones and two smaller ones? I want to be better safe than sorry, since it is outdoors.

DoublePlay- How cheap is the sale? I'm in the tri-state right now, if they're really that cheap I have no problem driving up to your guitar center to check them out. They're $149 on the website.
  6. Bob Dietrich

Bob Dietrich New Member

I would go with 4 of the largest ones...better safe than sorry. 4 large ones should give good flexibility in mounting/aiming. What do you plan to mount/elevate them with??
  7. unlimitedsounds

unlimitedsounds Active Member

Sale?

Please let me know about the sale as well. I dont see anything on the site...
  8. JayShoemaker

JayShoemaker New Member

Can you really cover a school gym with 4 Elation UV washes? I've been thinking about picking up enough UV washes for a school gym and marketing it as a Blacklight Party to the schools.
  9. JayShoemaker

JayShoemaker New Member

10. JayShoemaker

JayShoemaker New Member

11. DJDan523

DJDan523 New Member

I own 4 UV Washes and yes, they can cover a gym very well when placed in all 4 corners.

I believe the UV Panel is produced more UV light than the Washes, but judging ColorKinetics reputation, I would say it would beat them all. BUT- I have no factual evidence on that. I have seen the regular Colorblasts and know they have a very long throw and are very bright- so I wouldn't see why the UV one isn't just as good.

-Dan
  12. JayShoemaker

JayShoemaker New Member

Yeah, well. Everyone that I've been talking to in the rental companies have been telling me that I will need at least a dozen of the color kinetics lights for a gym. I'm going to go in for a demo sometime this week to get the answer for myself.
  13. DJDan523

DJDan523 New Member

The CK have a very narrow beam angle- so yes, I would assume it would take many of them to cover a gym. For the cost alone you could get 4 UV Washes (which would be enough to fill a gym) for the price of one CK.

No brainer IMO.

-Dan
  14. Steve Lynch

Steve Lynch Active Member

check out cheaplights.com. I bought two honkin' uv lights from there, and they were dirt cheap, as well as very wide beamed, so one at each end of a moderately sized room usually does the trick for me...
  15. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

I have four of the ADJ PAR-64 LED/UV lights. Their throw distance is to about 60 ft. but the beamspread is narrow. I generally run four on a 4 ft. T-bar angled just slightly apart. To supplement them I use two Martin Minimac Washes set to UV purple and these are 150w gas discharge lamps with a 60 degree beamspread.

NickyB
  16. maxx502

maxx502 New Member

17. EliteAudioAndLighting

EliteAudioAndLighting New Member

The sound/light production company I work for has four of those wildfire black light floods... I had no idea of the price.

WHY?! I think we should sell em back and up my wages or something. For personal gigs I use an elation cannon and it works great... imagine how many elation cannons you could buy for $6,600?
  18. DJDan523

DJDan523 New Member

My thought exactly- if my UV Washes or UV Panels work perfectly- why look for a "better" and more costly solution? Spend your money elsewhere, or better yet- SAVE IT!!!

-Dan
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.