1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Best excuses you've heard for cancelled appointments

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by John Allo, Jul 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Allo

John Allo New Member

I had one last week. She calls at 3:30 for a 7:00 meeting with:

"John, I have to cancel our meeting for tonight. I felt dizzy at work today and I'd hate to give it to your kids if this is contagious. I'll call you to reschedule."

9 full days later, I'm still waiting. :lol:

What are the best excuses you've heard?

2. DJBusyB

DJBusyB Active Member

"We haven't decided whether or not we can pay more than $400 for a DJ, so we don't want to waste our time with you." (This was last year and I had already told them my rates started at $695)

"All I really need is a price. There's nothing you can show or tell me in a meeting that I haven't already heard."

Brian

3. All Event DJs

All Event DJs ProDJ Sponsor

"Were not going to be able to meet with you tonight nor will need your services afterall. We've decided to alope and will be leaving in 5 minutes to Vegas."

4. bill_smith

bill_smith MobileBeat Moderator Staff Member

" My ex husband would not pick up the kids, so I cant make the 6 pm appointment, but we decided not to have the wedding on that date, but want your services for something else"

Delivered 15 minutes to my answering machine at home, while I was AT the meeting place. I had called the evening before to confirm.

Soooo, when was she gonna tell me that she didnt need me...AT the meeting? And exactly when did she decide that anyway...like 20 minutes before calling?

Unfortunately, a Knottie. First bad experience, but hey still going good.

Oh well.

5. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Hi John,

I guess the most unusual reason (or excuse) I've heard for cancelling would be the prospect who claimed to have broken her leg. She did have the courtesy to send a cancellation note at least.

I spotted her at a local shopping mall the week after she cancelled. Man, today's medical advances are truly amazing. A broken leg can be completely healed in a matter of days! ;)

She lost the retainer fee, too. Had she bothered to RTFC (Read The Contract), she might have called sooner and gotten her retainer applied to a rain-date.

Just my thoughts.

6. Mikdee

Mikdee New Member

Honest to God cancellation calls:

1) My dog died
    2) My boyfriend is going for physical therapy tonite
    3) We've decided to ask a friend to bring his stereo (good luck!)
    4) We're eloping
    5) Nobody will do it at our budgeted price (would you believe...$150.00?)

7. polarsounds

polarsounds In Self-Imposed Exile

Okay, I'm the guilty party here...

Since the power is out, the location we were going to meet will be closed as will most of the other places downtown where we could discuss these details. Would you like to reschedule?

8. digitaldj

digitaldj New Member

Hello everyone,

Here's a couple I have gotten over the years:

"I have a dentist's appointment that I forgot about was scheduled for tonight as well, so I have to cancel."

AND

"My fiancee just got called into work about 30 minutes ago, so we have to cancel today's appointment. We will call to reschedule.Thanks."

Both of these fine excuses were called into my voice mail the day of the scheduled appointments, barely 3 hours before I was to meet them.

Thanks for letting me share!! Peace!!

9. BillyG

BillyG New Member

i got one a few years back. i was on my way out the door to do a wedding reception and the mother of the bride called and said the night before at the bachelor's party the best man got the groom drunk and took him three states away and wouldn't be back in time for the wedding. i told her i could reschedule if i had an opening but as relatives from out of town would be gone by the time he got back, they decided to have a small one later that month. was ok with me my contract states that they had to pay me the full amont anyway which she did. 8)

10. Chuck Amstone

Chuck Amstone New Member

Just had one last week from a 4 star hotel that recomended me.

Sorry.... But I have to cancel the apt. because the Grooms Mother already had hired a DJ. Grooms Mom lives in Calif.

11. NancyCole

NancyCole New Member

A wedding I was scheduled for by a former banquet manager that I was the DJ for the facility she was employed at, was cancelled. She did not inform me. I finally got a hold of her within a week prior to the wedding.
    The groom "got hurt" and postponed the wedding until next year. I called the banquet hall and they contacted her two weeks prior and she had then told them the same story.

12. Blazin Beatz

Blazin Beatz New Member

i got a call today for a party on sunday, it went something like this

Client: We never recieved your contract

Me: Well thats kinda funny cause i have a copy that you signed on file

Client: oh well......... we decided to just play cds on a stereo system

Me: are you sure thats the route you want to go, I want to remind you that we are contracted to do the date.

Client: Yes we're sure, so we would like the retainer refunded

Me: I'm sorry we're not able to do that, the retainer is non refundable as stated in the contract. We could have booked other events on your date, canceling this close to the date does not warrent a refund of any sort and the contract states this. According to the contract we are entitled to the full price, but we won't go that far. We will however keep the retainer fee of $300.00. this fee can be transfered to another date that you wish to book our services but this must be done within a 1 year time span.

Client: Well.....I dont think that is fair since we never recieved the contracts

Me: Miss, you had to of recieved the contract if i have a copy on file and a retainer for your event.

Client: oh well if well to tell you the truth, we were hoping to get a refund b/c we found someone who is cheaper

Me: I understand that you want to save money, but we cannot refund your money, i wish you luck with the new entertainment that you have hire.I hope everything goes well. have a nice day.

The nerve that some people have, to call me a couple days before the event and tell me that they want to use someone cheaper when we have been booked for 4 months. some things just amaze me. Anyway she will not be getting a refund and if i realy wanna be a Dick I can ask for full payment. I won't do that cause i'm not a nasty guy and i don't see the need to get a bad name for demanding more money.

13. BillyG

BillyG New Member

Blazin Beatz, how does that make you a bad guy if you just follow your contract that she signed?

14. Blazin Beatz

Blazin Beatz New Member

to be honest, i realy don't feel like getting tangled up in a lawsuit for a 800.00 party, if it was a wedding or a party over 1000.00 i'd pursue it but as i stated i'm keeping the retainer so i didn't loose out completely. I'm just still shocked that she claims she never recieved the contract....some people amaze me.

Josh

15. BG

BG New Member

Here's a good one:

I had been discussing reception plans with the bride-to-be over the phone for some time. She was serious, and ready to book. We arranged a meeting.

The day before the meeting, the bride-to-be calls and says that the wedding is off, and that she and her spouse-to-be will be attending marriage counselling.

Marriage counselling? But they aren't even married yet!

Sigh! It's a crazy world.

16. unlimitedsounds

unlimitedsounds Active Member

here is one..

last year I was supposed to DJ a wedding in Fort DIX NJ on the base.. all was set and they paid the deposit and sent me back the contract etc.. the night before we had a big rain storm but the next day was clear. so as I am walking out the door, I get a call from the briods brother saying "we have to cancel.. the storm last night blew out a power trnasformer and now we have no power on the base so we cant have the wedding reception".. I tried calling the bride for like a week after that and finally got ahold of her who gave ne the same lines about the power...

also 3 weeks ago I was supposed to DJ a graduation party.. they told me if it rained they had a tent for the DJ and guests.. well, the day of the party ir looked like rain but did not rain. they called 1 hour before and told me they want to cancel because it looks like rain and they dont want my requipment to get wet. I told them what about the tent and they told me they never mentioned a tent and how did I know about the tent for the guests. I told her it was not raining and I was coming but she said NO then she said she had to go because people were starting to come..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.