1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Behringer DCX2496 Remote Control Software

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by rfielder, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rfielder

rfielder New Member

Is anyone using the remote control software with a DCX2496?

I don't see any minimum specs for the PC. The one time I looked at the software, it worked well and didn't seem to mind being on a very slow laptop.

Do you find the software useful?

Does it interfere with out applications on the same laptop/PC? Do they interfere with it?

Thanks!
  2. MusicSantaCruz

MusicSantaCruz New Member

I use the software and to be honest, an older laptop is better than a newer one. This is because the DCX uses a serial port and most new laptops done have a serial port. I use a USB/serial adapter for mine and that causes some problems. When I click to sync the DCX it will give me an error, then I click again, and it works fine. It's really no big deal.

I wouldn't want to use the DCX2496 without the software, the unit's display is horrible. The software also lets you do system updates from time to time.

Now I just need a way to get that data cable 150' feet long for my live sound gigs. Anyone know where I can find a 150' serial cable?

-Chris
  3. Conanski

Conanski New Member

Run it throught he snake. You just need Serial to XLR adapters....

[DB9 connected to computer serial port]
    Pin 3 XLR - Pin 3 DB9
    Pin 2 XLR - Pin 2 DB9
    Pin 1 XLR - Pin 5 DB9

[DB9 connected to the DCX]
    Pin 3 XLR - Pin 2 DB9
    Pin 2 XLR - Pin 3 DB9
    Pin 1 XLR - Pin 5 DB9
  4. rfielder

rfielder New Member

Chris:

I remember reading about someone trying to do that with a Driverack - don't remember if it was the PA or 260. They ended up jumpering a couple of pins on the Driverack end, or else it would not work at all.

Only long term problem is that I need to replace my ancient laptop. It will likely outlive me, but it is so slow you can almost count the cpu cycles on your fingers..... and finding a new laptop with a serial port, RS232 or RS485, is a quest even someone willing to tilt at windmills might shy away from.

Actually, I found the display to be as good as the one on the DRPA I have rented. It was easier to figure out the DCX than the DRPA (for me), even with reading the manual a lot less - how they organized functions, and the menu structure, was very well done.

Not arguing - the laptop is a lot more convenient, and presents stuff in a much better way.

As for running it 150', Paul's suggestion of using XLR surprises me. Sounds like there is no hardware flow control in the DCX's serial ports at all. Given that it runs at 115kBps, and given that I never had to make any adjustments to the serial port on my old Toshiba to get the two talking, they seems to have done a great job of writing the serial drivers. Yeah, I used to code serial port stuff in ***embler, up to and including terminal emulators, so I have an appreciation of how much can be involved. That was so long ago, it is scarey....I recall the huge waves created when the 16550 was first instroduced.....

No idea if they still exist, but there used to be amps for serial lines. These days, why not go serial to USB and then wireless? Then again, in a live sound situation, there is likely so much wireless stuff and unrelated RFI, that this might not be a reliable solution.....
  5. rfielder

rfielder New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.