1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Anyone use David's Bridal Vendor Program?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Utah DJ, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Utah DJ

Utah DJ New Member

I was contacted by DB to become a vendor but at $175 a month, it's a little steep for me, any advice on this program or how well it works?

The only reason I ask is because they say that you get a list of potential brides as well as these leads being 9 months before they get married. Any time I've gotten a lead 9 months out, they are really flaky or aren't read to choose an MC/DJ. So I stick with them and keep in contact with them about once a month, and then they either decide to can the DJ idea, or find a friend to do it. (which we all know how successful those turn out).

Any info would be great.

2. bill_smith

bill_smith MobileBeat Moderator Staff Member

that seems awfully steep to me. Will the service send you every new bride that signs up, or are you gettingthe same list every month? If they are emailing you every new cleitn everytime they sign up, well, for a while that might be a good thing.Is the agreemenet a month to month agreement, or a term contract?

3. Utah DJ

Utah DJ New Member

They say that they will email me a list every month of all the new brides that sign up/try on a dress. That comes out two times a month, (I would think they clean the list so there aren't any duplicates). They do ask for one year contract and require to be put on my insurance. The one year contract is what is getting me. I can't afford $2,100 a year for something I have no idea for the success rate. 0

4. bill_smith

bill_smith MobileBeat Moderator Staff Member

YEs, indeed, They want 2100 of your money for what?Ask them for references. Watch how fast they back up;)That should seal your conclusion.

5. MBM

MBM New Member

Would you be the only DJ getting this list, would be another very important thing to ask.

6. Ken Heath

Ken Heath Super Moderator...da-ta-daaa!!! Staff Member

Looked at their program once... they offered me the opportunity to come and play in the store all day and it would only cost me $300!

:shocked!:

Yeah, right! Let me sign right up for that!!!

It's a way for their stores to make free money... they compile the list regardless for their own marketing, now if they can just sucker enough people into paying a few hundred times what it's actually worth, the profit margin might be close to what we make on each overpriced dress!!!

7. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

Not to sound like a snob, but in my neck of the woods, those using David's Bridal are not my target demo and likely couldn't afford me.
    Ken...for just a $100 more they'll allow you to bond with Brides by allowing those with them who are 12yo and under to do "guest DJ sets", LOL. -Z-

8. Utah DJ

Utah DJ New Member

They said that they prefer to have only one vendor in one area per store. I'm going to go and talk to the manager and if they are willing to do a 3-month pilot, I just may do it. I would like to test the market before I give any of my hard earned money to anyone who is looking for another avenue of revenue. The other sketchy part is I asked for an email from the rep about all the program details yesterday and still haven't seen anything from her.

I do want to build my business but our area/market lacks on resources for leads and events. There are the typical bridal shows but people around here just lack in giving solid commitments. I am considering to build my own list via my facebook page. Give away a free wedding gig and by doing so, will have hundreds of brides give contact info and even if I can land 2 gigs for giving one away, I can write off the one and book the two, I don't think that would be too bad of a start to build my own list.

9. djtunes

djtunes Checking Reality

My honest opinion. No. Not worth the money.

Sorry to David's Bridal. JMHO

10. unlimitedsounds

unlimitedsounds Active Member

I wouldnt want to do that. you are NOT guaranteed that you will even talk to any bride on the list. Just because them come in, doesn't mean they don't have a DJ in mind or already talked to someone. its like the brides that come to a bridal show. you never know if you will even get a response when you call or email them.... Also playing music in a store doesnt mean squat.. it doesnt show what you are about as a wedding entertainer...

11. Jason Cathcart

Jason Cathcart New Member

I don't understand the insurance bit. Why would they need to be on your insurance?

12. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

Here in Southern Canada...very frequently venues want to be specifically named on a vendors policy for the date and approximate time the vendor will be on premises. The insurance through ADJA has an online system that'll spit out a document that will name the venue, date and time. Some venues around me will not let you set foot one in the place without getting the document in advance. Why? 1) it proves you have the insurance, and 2) is an added layer of protection for them should your pyrotechnics show burn the place down. As it relates to David's Bridal...say I was playing there and a bride tripped over one of my speaker cables and broke her leg. With the specifics on my insurance for the date & time I'm there, it all but indemnifies David's Bridal. -Z-

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  13. Jason Cathcart

Jason Cathcart New Member

We have the same thing here. I guess I missed where Utah DJ said he was also going to be playing in the store. I thought this was just to be on their list of vendors.

14. Utah DJ

Utah DJ New Member

As far as I'm concerned, it's only for me to be on the premiss to hand out flyers, not even to play/setup at their place...just seems more obvious that this isn't a good idea.

15. UNDJ

UNDJ New Member

Utah DJ, first of all, kudos to you for brainstorming on new ideas to bring in business. Don't ever stop doing that.

My market's DB will only allow 1 vendor per category per market (there's only 1 store here though). The same DJ company has been with them for about 10 years. I have no idea if it's working for them or not but my guess would be yes. They splash "Exclusively Referred By David's Bridal" in all their ads, so they might be really paying to just say that (whether they are getting gigs from the list or not).

I'm a big proponent of "I'll try anything once". For example, I was skeptical about WeddingWire but signed on for a year. The gamble paid off; not big, but I still made enough money to where I signed on for a second year.

On the other hand, I just tried placing an ad in a local "hipster" newspaper (it was their "wedding issue"). Looking through past wedding issues I didn;t come across any other DJ ads so I figured it wasn't going to work, but figured "Eh, I'll give it a try". $375 and not a single e-mail/call. Oh well, at least I know not to do it again. No more wondering, LOL.

But that's a big chunk of change to lay down up-front. Like others have said, I'd definitely ask for references or more "proof" that it's worth it. Just like us selling to prospects, if they can't convince you it's a good value, then forget it.

Good luck either way!

16. CMB

CMB Active Member

Utah DJ,

I did the program from 2088 to 2009. I paid the $175 per month, and feel the program worked for me. At the time, it was my goal to get my name is front of as many brides as possible. I wanted to flodd the market with my company so every where you turned you saw something about us. Although I did not renew after the first year. I had results that made me a profit beyond the year I did the program. They key is working the lists. I would work a list until the dates expired, sending about 1 email a month to each address. I got a lot of web traffic and help develope top of the mind awareness. Before I joined I spoke with a company in Houston that has done the program for several years. He said he got about 30 events from it per year. And that's a litle less than what I end up paying a venue in a venue partnership I have. But, you do have to do of the selling yourself.

Depending on what you need/want from it and what your market is like, it can work. But you gotta work the lists.

17. Utah DJ

Utah DJ New Member

CMB, I appreciate the info about this and I have no doubt, that is the key too. I've even thought about toying around the idea, after obtaining all the email addresses, as a welcome partnership, to do a free give-a-way for one free gig just to get some excitement going.

UNDJ,

Thanks for the compliments, I'm one of those people that can always make something better, but usually it takes money or time. (drives my wife crazy sometimes, (poor wife)).
    I would really like to do something big for my company, but at the same time, blowing 2100 bucks, is hard for me to think it will be worth it. However, I'm sure that working the list, would do wonders.

18. djtunes

djtunes Checking Reality

The thing I dislike about any of these "pay me and I'll say I like you" offers is obvious.

"Pay me and I'll say I like you."

It's like the "Bride's Choice Award" I had that, and the David's Bridal thing offered to me. They have never seen me perform and there were no reviews of me on their site.

It's like a lie.

I am considering using this point in my marketing. I'm tempted to explain to brides how the people in these positions get there.

So when a DJ turns out to be medocre or crap, does the referring vendor feel obligated to reimurse the poor bride for the cost of the DJ plus damages?

I'd rather stay out of the circle. JMHO

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  19. Utah DJ

Utah DJ New Member

So, here is what I've gathered from all of the input from this post:

Pro's

I get a list of "brides" every month, which I'm guessing would have between 20-100.
    Potential of ROI - my cost $175 a month, booking income could be from 0-$35,000 a month (depending if I booked 0 or all 100 each month)
    The work comes from working the list. I have complete control over how to market to the brides. Takes time and money. (thanks CMB)
    I can send out a press release and advertise the heck out of "David's Bridal endorses Opus Productions"
    I will have exclusivity to the list as far as DJ's, they only have one per store.
    It's a new avenue for me to try because it's never been done. As UN said, it doesn't hurt to try it once.
    I have heard from another DJ down in Sacramento Cali. He pays $200 a month and says it's good for him. He does DJ and uplighting full time.

Con's

$175 a month.
    Could be a disaster with ZERO bookings.
    Communication is spotty with DB thus far.
    Time to work the list. (working other FT job, School FT, and we are raising our first baby)
    Less than positive feedback about the program from this forum.
    All marketing is up to me.

Thanks for all your suggestions and input, if for some reason I decide to do this, I will keep you all in the loop of what I'm doing and what is and isn't working for me.

20. djtunes

djtunes Checking Reality

I advertise in a local franchise of a wedding publication that supplies me with a lot of leads. I searched and did not see the franchise in your area of the one I use.

Maybe this is the closest thing (a source for leads) to my resource in your area.

Have you seen any publications that provide a leads system?

By the way, I wish you a lot of good luck if you go forward with D.B.

Different things work in different areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.