1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Add-A-Tap for Uplights

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by MKR160, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKR160

MKR160 Mobile DJ

Hello. This may seem like a strange question to some, but I was wondering for those of you who use uplights, do you use the Add A Tap outlets? If so, do you make them or buy them like that. Seems like a good idea but I'm not sure how to go about this. Thanks for any assistance.

2. BillESC

BillESC Member

I sell a ton of Add-a-Taps, Add-a-Plugs and Zip cord. Almost all of it is for uplighting. We stock black, white and brown.

3. Chuck The DJ

Chuck The DJ Here There & Everywhere

I've been using add-a-taps since around 1990 give or take,,, they are great.... I have used them where I shouldn't but have never been let down...

4. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

Yep. For certain jobs, they are unbeatable. You ca make them up beforehand, or onsite. Measure, click, done.

5. MKR160

MKR160 Mobile DJ

Ok. So you make them yourselves? Thanks for the replies.

6. Jason Cathcart

Jason Cathcart New Member

If you're running LED uplights this seems like a good solution.

If you're running standard bulbs, I wouldn't go this way, there will be too much draw on the line.

7. BillESC

BillESC Member

All depends on the lamps being used. You can string up to ten 75w halogens on Zip cord.

8. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

Not crazy about add-a-taps because they're two pronged. I did find some power cords by Ninja that have outlets every five or ten feet depending on which model you purchase. I built my own power cords ..... using 14/3 SJ wire and a dual duplex receptacle every 10 ft. ; six outlets per. They're 70 ft long and can be daisy chained. I built four of them and run one per wall with an original Chauvet wireless dmx.

9. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

I get the broad concept of an "add-a-tap", I'm just not sure what one looks like.
    Would anyone be a so kind as to post a picture?
    Why you ask? After Mr. Lynch's commentary on Battery Operated Up-Lighting, I'm rethinking it. -Z-

Are these the "add-a-taps"of which you all speak?
    [​IMG]
    -Z-

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  10. DJ Biff

DJ Biff ProDJ Sponsor

Stage Ninja a good quality, USA made product. They are more expensive, but they take a beating. We are dealers, and use them on our commercial rental jobs.

11. Steve Lynch

Steve Lynch Active Member

Add a taps are a staple in my book.

I buy them by the 100's from lighttrader.com

In quantity, you can get them for as low as $.50 each.

18 Ga. cable is rated for between 600W and 850W per 100' depending on where you look.

I routinely run 15 36 watt LED fixtures off of one run, and the cable never even warms up.

here's a link to the ones we're all talking about steve.
    http://www.lighttrader.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=ed114

12. fbeweds

fbeweds New Member

So i'm thinking about trying this out, but i see that all the add a taps are only 2 plug. My LED uplights are 3plug can i get an adapter and then use the 2plug add a tap.

13. NickyB

NickyB Gear and Equipment Moderator

Just my opinion but ....

Not real crazy about the Add-a-Tap system. I've worked with one and they're really cheaply made and only offer a two pronged AC outlet. Most fixtures I've worked with have three pronged plugs. I hate running hazardous wiring in public places. You never know what kind of stupid things people will do.

14. MBM

MBM New Member

I used them often, with my Chauvet LEDRain56 cans, mine were the 2 prong versions, always worked great, and it was much easier to tape down the wires being smaller gauge. I now have a large bag of these I don't use anymore, since I bought the Cube 4s fixtures.

15. bb

bb Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.