1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

Adam Yauch

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ninodj, May 4, 2012.

1. ninodj

ninodj Active Member

Just read a clip on Yahoo news that Adam Yauch from the Beastie Boys has died ? Anybody have any details ...?
  2. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

Beastie Boys Founding Member Dies

FOUNDING member of the Beastie Boys has died at the age of 47.
    Adam Yauch, known to fans as MCA, finally lost his battle with cancer.
    The Brooklyn-born musician was first treated for cancerous growths in his parotid gland and lymph node in 2009 and had undergone extensive radiation therapy.
    His illness meant he missed the band’s recent induction into the Rock And Roll Hall of fame.
    Adam met the band’s other founding partner Mike D in 1978 at high school and they quickly gained a reputation on New York’s underground music scene.

The band’s named was meant to stand for “Beings Entering Anarchistic States Towards Internal Excellence.”
    It was in 1986 they became a global household name with their huge record (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!) The album it appeared on, Licensed To Ill became the first hip-hop album to top the Billboard album chart.
    When his bandmates accepted the band’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame two weeks ago, they read a letter from Adam saying: “I’d like to dedicate this to my brothers Adam (Horovitz aka Ad-Rock) and Mike (aka Mike D) “They walked the globe with me. It’s also for anyone who has ever been touched by our band. This induction is as much ours as it is yours.”
    Yauch is survived by his wife, Dechen Wengdu, and their daughter Losel.
    [​IMG]

Back in my club days of the mid-80's it was the heyday of pop metal. I never had reservation 1 about mixing in Bon Jovi, Def Lep or the Beastie Boys in the middle of a Dance Set. "Fight For Your Right" would bring the house down like there's was no tomorrow.
    Granted many of my peers looked at me like I had 2 heads, but the crowds LOVED it!
    It doesn't seem possible that Adam is gone, or reached the age of 47. I could swear it was only yesterday that "Fight For Your Right" was on top of the charts.
    I even remember MTV's Spring Break Contest where the winner would be kidnapped by the Beasties and brought to Florida for Spring Break.
    I think I'm living in DENIAL.

Little known fact...The Beastie Boys & RUN DMC were very good friends from quite early on in their careers, certainly before either group hit the mainstream. The Beasties were in the studio the day RUN-DMC & Aerosmith recorded the new rendition of "Walk This Way". The guitar being used by one of the guys from Aerosmith (Joe Perry?) suffered a malfunction. Rather than adjourn the recording session one of the Beatie's, who lived within walking distance of where the recording studio was, ran home and brought in his guitar...which was used in the RUN-DMC version of Aerosmith's classic "Walk This Way". True story. -Z-​
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  3. djtunes

djtunes Checking Reality

WOW! :(........
  4. Jason Cathcart

Jason Cathcart New Member

Oh wow... I thought he was doing better!

I'm just floored. I've been listening to the Beastie Boys, literally my whole life.

RIP MCA
  5. Billabong

Billabong Rock Lobster

Sad news. I wore out my cassette of "Licensed to Ill" back in the day. Still know most of the songs by heart.
    R.I.P.
  6. -bp-

-bp- For Position Only

Sad day...
  7. DJSTEVEZ

DJSTEVEZ DJ Emeritus

Any old timers out there remember seeing the Beastie's as the opening act for Madonna's 1985 "Virgin" tour?
    Remember their 1st hit "Cookie Puss"?

[​IMG]
  8. Jason Cathcart

9. djtunes

djtunes Checking Reality

Thanks Jason.
  10. Jason Cathcart

Coldplay did a tribute to Adam at their show at the Hollywood Bowl last night.

I never would have thought Fight For Your Right could give me chills...

http://youtu.be/LVr4UP9ntLs

I don't know man - I feel like I did when MJ died. The things I loved from my childhood are disappearing.
  11. djtunes

djtunes Checking Reality

I hear you on that Jason. Some people (even in this forum) could probably care less about this loss, but their music was almost a soundtrack to my youth. I feel like you with the MJ thing. I was also crushed when Jam Master Jay was killed. I'm sure a lot of people didn't care, but to me it was like losing a relative... just because of the hours and hours I spent listening to the music they made, and remembering the things I used to be doing with friends and stuff while playing it. I know every word of every song in Licensed To Ill.
  12. djtunes

djtunes Checking Reality

My heart sank when I heard the news of Etta James, and Dick Clark too.
    The difference with them is that they lived to grow old.
  13. Jason Cathcart

Agreed Roger...

I'm with you on Jay too... he's another one who left too soon.