Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Register Now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'll be getting to 8 feet in two sections, also (6+2), to allow for unexpected, and easier transport.

2nd question for all of you smarter than me... is it safe to mount a 35lb speaker to the front of the 8 foot totem? I'll be using 2'x2' plates, but sometimes I don't have a large enough footprint for separate speaker stands.
    Grand Forks DJ Robert Benda: RNB Weddings

Hi Keith,

I don't have the totems yet, I'm currently investigating my options. I would put one moving head on top of the truss like I've seen others do. Maybe Stevie Ray or another totem user could shed some "light" on the subject?

I use 2 meter and 3 meter sections. It allows me the flexibility I need in my market.
    Thanks,
    Bill Cronheim - ESC, Inc.
    Backstage since 1973

Robert, without a sub or sandbag on the bottom of those 2x2's, I wouldn't. The good news is, you can pick up two 75lb sandbags at Lowes for about 10 bucks or less.
    Thanks!

Brian Price
    www.djbrianprice.com
    www.luminousevenings.com
    www.schooldancecentral.com

The things you own, own you.
    -Tyler-

Awesome. I will keep watching and let me know what you come up with. I am trying to figure out how to mount multiple moving heads to a totem while still maintaining "up or down" orientation since I was told that mounting moving heads sideways was bad on the motors. I will share whatever I can find.
    Keith "DJ Yada" Dillingham
    Owner, Sounds Right Mobile DJ Entertainment

I would not use 2' x 2' plates. We only use 3' x 3'. The aluminum ones should work for that since you will have the speakers in the stage area. When we have totems out on the dance floor with 50" or 60" flat screens we will always use our 3' x 3' steel plates. I don't trust the aluminum ones where they can get banged into by guests.

Those are EAW speakers hanging from the truss and not flat screens.

Thank you, Johnny, that's awesome. I checked and the plates are actually 30"x30" steel. Not sure how much weight. Now I just need to figure out how to actually attach the darn things (EV Live X 12s) since I can't find a fly kit.

Very nice set up Johnny, thank you for sharing!

I like the second picture, using the truss as the support for the DJ coffin. May have to borrow that idea in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbenda View Post
    Thank you, Johnny, that's awesome. I checked and the plates are actually 30"x30" steel. Not sure how much weight. Now I just need to figure out how to actually attach the darn things (EV Live X 12s) since I can't find a fly kit.
    You want to attach a Live X 12 to the top of the totem? If that's the case, get a standard end plate, drill a hole in the center and bolt a 27mm deep socket to it. A 27mm deep socket is the perfect outside diameter for a speaker's 1 3/8" pole mount.
    Thanks,
    Bill Cronheim - ESC, Inc.
    Backstage since 1973

Quote Originally Posted by BillESC View Post
    You want to attach a Live X 12 to the top of the totem?
    Thanks, Bill, I will be doing that, but I'd love to have the option to mount them to the front of the totem, at the 6ft mark, then have a moving head on top. 8 feet total, 30x30" plate (though I might do a custom connecting plate to run under my table and connect both bases, in addition to sandbags).

I haven't seen a good way to attach the speaker, though.