Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Register Now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Leduc (just south of Edmonton) , Alberta, Canada

Has the DJ industry stalled out? Are we dinosoars already?

now bear with me.. This post is probably too nerdy/geeky for most of you.. I pre-apologize
    This weekend I was watching a podcast that talked about the changes in technology.. what kind of blew my mind was the statement that Technology (computers, electronics, etc) is the one devopement that in the last 100 years HAS TO BE PLOTTED ON A logarithmic scale .
    everything else (food industry, mechanics, social, etc etc) is plotted on an X/Y scale..
    Anything that becomes heavily connected or dependant on technology starts to show the same logarithmic climb. (but when plotted against the technology curve it flattens out (IE normalizes again)

What the frack does this have to do with DJing?
    We have always been heavily connected with technology,
    yes, i know so are musicians, and car mechanics, etc etc BUT their basic tools have mainly stayed the same.. (a guiter is still a guitar, a keyboard is still white and black, and a wrench still hurts when you drop it on your face)

My point is.. If you CHARTED the changes in DJing over the last 50 year, on the x-y scale it looks like things have changed immensely..
    BUT if you replot it, normalizing it against the technology change, it doesnt normalize.. it actually flat lines..

Another way to put it may be..
    We havent been "raising the bar", in reality we have barely got it off the ground..

When all things are considered, the local mechanic, the musician, the glass installer, the photographer has seen bigger improvements and changes in their industries then we have..

thoughts?

I absolutely agree!
    I really think the future of a Mobile or Special Event DJ is transitioning into more of an Entertainment / Production business than just entertaining through music and personality.

Uplighting, Photo Booths, decor lighting and furniture are all things that will (and are IMO) becoming staples of the DJ Industry. I don't see that going away as more DJs realize that becuase of the devaluation of the skill of "playing music", a successful entertainer will hone other skills to be relevant and profitable in the future.
    Rob Freedline

Good Vibrations Special Event DJs & Entertainment
    "Enhancing Special Days In A Personal Way"
    www.goodvibemobiledj.com

ADJA Member

Quote Originally Posted by MobileDJ View Post
    I absolutely agree!
    I really think the future of a Mobile or Special Event DJ is transitioning into more of an Entertainment / Production business than just entertaining through music and personality.

Uplighting, Photo Booths, decor lighting and furniture are all things that will (and are IMO) becoming staples of the DJ Industry. I don't see that going away as more DJs realize that becuase of the devaluation of the skill of "playing music", a successful entertainer will hone other skills to be relevant and profitable in the future.
    Couldn't disagree more. I Have scaled down to 1 L1 and 2 B1s. Lights 4 bar/4 play combo. I am as busy as ever, and making as much as ever.

I believe DJs are adding more and more to try to become more than what they are. Entertainment through music and personality is who I am and why I am getting booked.
    Karl Langford
    Multiple Choice Disc Jockey
    Long Prairie, MN

Signature under investigation by forum moderators. Please check back often for updates.

I don't know, technology plays a large part in the effect my events have. However Talent is never sold on a comparative. Talent is unique. DJs that are adding lots of addons are seeking to supplant their lack of talent increase. We should be increasing our talents, spending money to improve us, the instrument of our art. Talent is always timeless. Technology WILL replace the press play few announcements DJs. It is just a matter of time. Think of Voice tracking...... What did it do for radio?
    Unity 2012, Join the ADJA Today! The revolution continues........

"If We Work Together, Imagine What We Can Do!"

Copyright 1998 - 2012 Dr. Drax
    This post, opinion and viewpoint is copyrighted information.
    It is the sole property of DJ Dr. Drax.
    Do not copy or otherwise use this information or exchange it with
    others without the expressed written consent of the author.

I have to disagree also....

I actually think that the technology of today has made DJs into bigger superstars and on bigger stages. ( worldwide )

Ever plug in the name Tiesto on Youtube and see what you come up with ? Was there ever a DJ back in the 60's or 70's or even 80's that could sell out a stadium ? Heck, I would go just for the light show. I find myself checking out websites weekly to see whats hot and new for gear coming out. Seems like there is some type of new controller being made weekly. Drives me bananas ! But love it none the less...

I sometimes find myself hesitant to even buy new lighting ( even though I love it ) because it's changing ever so fast. LED technology is flying !
    When I started 22 years ago in this business I thought I was the man on the scene with my 2 "police beacons" lol. Now they are retired in my very own DJ hall of fame.

Has the DJ Industry stalled out?
    Unequivocally, no.

What has come about is that since music has become so easy and inexpensive to procure (gear too) the market has flooded with competition.
    As any business school prof will tell you that when the market floods, prices go down. I agree with Drax that Talent is always of value, but in this market, talent is harder to discern. The flooded market of what I'll call less-than-professional DJ's have made things confusing for the consumer. Many are unaware of what a truly talented, highly skilled DJ can do for them and the success of their event, especially given the economy...and are apprehensive about spending their hard earned money to find out.

Where there is a shortage within the industry is talented DJ's who are talented salesmen & businessmen. It's not enough to have the greatest gear and be able to rock a wedding better than any other jock in your market and/or the surrounding 5 states...you have to also be able to 1) convince a prospective client you can do that, and 2) articulate why that's important to them (the client). In my experience there are precious few, even here, that can do that. From that perspective, I could see how it appears that the DJ Industry might be somewhat stalled.

Still though, it seems that those who do possess what I'll call "The Dual Skill Set", tend to expand from being your standard high level jock and go into Event Entertainment Design & Management. I assert that is you own a photo-booth(s), you're expanding too...and good for you. It's a wise person who diversifies the sources of their income. Most business school profs will tell you that too -Z-
    Last edited by DJSTEVEZ; 04-17-2012 at 07:29 AM.
    DJ Steve -Z-

D.J. Couture
    Your Special Day, Custom Designed & One of a Kind

Serving The WORLD from
    www.DJCouture.com

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Dr. Drax View Post
    I don't know, technology plays a large part in the effect my events have. However Talent is never sold on a comparative. Talent is unique. DJs that are adding lots of addons are seeking to supplant their lack of talent increase. We should be increasing our talents, spending money to improve us, the instrument of our art. Talent is always timeless. Technology WILL replace the press play few announcements DJs. It is just a matter of time. Think of Voice tracking...... What did it do for radio?
    Been in radio more than 30-years, and I agree that technology has affected us greatly.
    But I can't help but to see the OTHER side of technology.
    While many in radio are losing their jobs (or their air shifts) to Voice Tracking and other technology...it is also opening new doors.
    So, much like radio...we in the Mobile DJ biz need to EMBRACE new technology and look to the future.
    We need to be ahead of the game, and know what brides want (and WILL want) in addition to what we already provide.
    Talent may be timeless, but it certainly aint paying the bills all by itself.
    Mike Foxx

Quote Originally Posted by MobileDJ View Post
    I absolutely agree!
    I agree with the "devaluation of the skill of playing music", and it fits in with what first hit me after watching that podcast..
    A huge portion of our "talent" has been devalued due to technology..
    Again, if you plotted the changes in the "art" of playing other peoples music on a logarithmic scale.. it becomes a horizontal line.. in its simplest form (after 50 years); we play one song, then fade a song TO THE NEXT DECK.

As to "the future of mobile DJ is Entertainment/production"
    I will agree that it seems to be the current trend..
    I dont readily agree that its the "future" for DJing.. Mainly because things like photobooths and decor, are a sideways transition, and not an upwards transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kacimlangford View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. I Have scaled down to 1 L1 and 2 B1s. Lights 4 bar/4 play combo. I am as busy as ever, and making as much as ever.
    I believe DJs are adding more and more to try to become more than what they are. Entertainment through music and personality is who I am and why I am getting booked.
    The personality aspect isnt really connected to technology.
    For example: a comedian hasnt really changed their methods much over the past 50 years. Probably the biggest thing that has affected them is technology has limited the longevity of their "jokes" IE: when someone famous starts telling the same joke, its uploaded on youtube that week and regular comedian might have to remove that joke or look like he stole it or IE: is a Wii joke still funny a year later when everyone is playing angry birds? LOL..

and when i think about it, Radio stations havent changed much over years (in essence, besides the technology part) yet there are more radio stations in my market then ever..
    Question is.. how long will that continue.. Their are more radio stations, but they are fighting over a smaller segment of the population (people dont rely on the radio as much as they used too)

To humbly add to Dr. Drax..."Back in the day", I would do clubs carrying a mic, my cans and a milk-crate full of records. (Soon to be replaced by a small book of CDs.)

It really was a "just-push-play" arrangement. I walked in, did my thing, got paid and walked out. It was up to the club to provide the rest. On the road, it wasn't really all that much more than that. A couple of speakers, an amp and either a couple of tables or a player. Heh, heh...a strobe or a blacklight!

Then came effects. And more lights. And fog. And pre-canned drops. Then DMX...gobos...black widow lasers...skirts to hide our stuff. Trusswork.

Powered speakers run by laptops with TB external drives. I-Pod docks.

And NONE of it matters IF YOU SUCK.
    Rev. Lou Mascitello, Temple of Azrael, THD Entertainment & Oldgoat Computers, Charter Member: LDJC
    I was the fifth horseman of the Apocalypse - before they became famous.