Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Register Now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dropbox

dropbox

I would think most people have this already. But if you don't, now they give an extra 500mg of storage in addition to the free 2g when you sign up through a referral. Anybody that signs up through you, you get an additional 500mb and so do they.

I use it on all of my computers, ipads, and phones. Invaluable tool...FREE

use the link and get the additional 500mb...and yes...so do i.

http://db.tt/xgmNXiI
    Scott Hanna
    American Entertainment
    www.djincleveland.com
    wedding dj in cleveland
    440-398-9910/877-the-dj-4-U

The problem is, 2 gigs is not enough. in fact, 100 gigs is not enough. They offer nothing over 100 gigs unless you go with the corporate program.

It would be great if they offered enough for a dj's entire collection.
    We Only Use Macbook Pro's and Bose Audio!

it's not really designed to be a complete system back up. I find it very handy to move files from one place to another and to all devices like ipads and phones.
    Scott Hanna
    American Entertainment
    www.djincleveland.com
    wedding dj in cleveland
    440-398-9910/877-the-dj-4-U

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hanna View Post
    it's not really designed to be a complete system back up. I find it very handy to move files from one place to another and to all devices like ipads and phones.
    Agreed. I just used it 10 minutes ago to install a font on three different computers. Put it in my dropbox folder, fired up TeamViewer (another awesome program, thanks Steve Lynch!) and bam! put Snell Roundhand on all of my computers, all from my laptop while sitting on my couch. The photo booth computer, my office computer downstairs, and my gig computer. Granted they all have to be on (otherwise dropbox syncs when it gets an internet connection) but it's really, really handy.

Been a fan of "The Cloud" for a long time. Started out with "Driveway" back in the L-90's. I use Dropbox as well as the few GB I get from other sources such as MicroSoft, Google and Amazon. There are even cloud BASED operating systems, (JoliCloud and ChromeBook), that do a nice job and provide some storage, as well.

The pros and cons of cloud computing are all over the map. For me, it's about file transfer, as well. Am I going to image my drive to it? No. Am I going to store my tax records on it? No. Even with encryption...why take a chance that your data would either disappear or corrupt...even accidentally...for something "sensitive"? That's what back-ups are for. But all in all, for a text here and a pic there, it's good stuff.
    Rev. Lou Mascitello, Temple of Azrael, THD Entertainment & Oldgoat Computers, Charter Member: LDJC
    I was the fifth horseman of the Apocalypse - before they became famous.

I have used dropbox sincve it was first introduced.. I have 3.8GB by referring people and using a beta client on ANDROID.. its very handy. I keep some forms there, and lots of other stuff I use a lot. very handy when I am at a different computer and need a few files... I even use it to install programs on my android phone that I download from my PC..

Has anyone checked their computers and observed how much clutter that program throws on your hard drive? Invasive. Very invasive and monstrous clutter.
    Cap Capello
    Celebrating 35th Year Of In Business Passion
    DJ Wedding Albany Saratoga Troy Schenectady

BOSE L1 Compact - L1 Model 1S - L1 Model 2
    518.399.7451 East Coast Time Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Has anyone checked their computers and observed how much clutter that program throws on your hard drive? Invasive. Very invasive and monstrous clutter.
    you can use it without downloading the desktop software. just use the web browser to manipulate files.
    Dynamic Crew Entertainment
    866-880-2739
    www.dynamiccrew.com

I don't use the local software. I use it strictly cloud. Well...except in LiNUX. There, I run the local package. As usual in the distros of LiNUX that I use, it doesn't bloat. Almost nothing does. Either way, I like it and use it. It IS a convenient way to transfer or C&P files to all of my machines when I need to do that.
    Rev. Lou Mascitello, Temple of Azrael, THD Entertainment & Oldgoat Computers, Charter Member: LDJC
    I was the fifth horseman of the Apocalypse - before they became famous.

I pay for the 50 Gig service. It is an essential part of operating my businesses from the cloud with multiple employees. Between Dropbox, Gigbuilder and Google Apps, any employee has access to everything I want them to from any computer. No installed software needed, just an internet connection and log in information. I even put company procedures and documentation on an internal Google Sites wiki.