Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Register Now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

User Tag List

Any pc tablet wizards out there?

Hi all, been a while since I've been on these boards but I thought maybe someone here could help...
    I would like to get rid of my books at my karaoke shows and replace them with some type of cheap tablet. I don't know much about tablets and tablet software, but I know some restaurants are now using them instead of menus. I would obviously need a simple program to load our song/artist database and a simple search interface...

Anybody doing this or have any ideas...?

Tim
    Upbeat Entertainment
    Knock em' Alive

Tim: Get on the App market and search your brains out. There is an app for every task imaginable.

For the music side, here are a few personally tried apps:

WinAmp Pro;
    Power Amp Pro;
    DJ Studio;

and the one being used most:

Astro Player Pro.

(FYI: My tablet is a Motorola Xoom running ICS along with an additional 32gb external sd card)
    Cap Capello
    Celebrating 35th Year Of In Business Passion
    DJ Wedding Albany Saratoga Troy Schenectady

BOSE L1 Compact - L1 Model 1S - L1 Model 2
    518.399.7451 East Coast Time Zone

I bought a really cheap ($99) Android 7" tablet at CVS. It really sucks. I will recommend trying them hands-on before committing. Also what Cap said about searching for apps, some kind of database app is what you would want.

I think this is what he is looking for:

http://itunes.apple.com/mt/app/karao...443318148?mt=8

"Ever wish you had your own copy of the bars karaoke book? Well, now you can with this app! Karaoke Songbook is a karaoke book you can browse or search by artist or song title. This app also helps you keep track of which songs you like to sing, which version you like, and if you do any key changes. No longer do you have to use the bars shredded incomplete books. "

I just dont know if he can customize it to show the songs he has....

also you can try these http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/ipad-i...k-creator.html

and HERE is a great program http://www.karaokeloop.com/ .. this allows you to promote your show and have your book online so anyone with an iPhone, Android, Blackberry or WM can download the song book when they get to the show...

If I missed the boat, sorry. If it's database control, then perhaps Office Suite Pro.

One of the hugest p.i.t.a. with many apps is the need to take efforts already accomplished in basic computer formats and turn them into their specific formats. Duplication of efforts (especially database programs) is a terrible time waster.

Office Suite Pro will open and make ready almost any MS Office file format (accept Access, dammit!). If the database is already a specialty format, the one will need to search for an app that recognizes that format.

Is this more in line with the post? Hope so; it's all I got for ya.
    Last edited by Cap; 03-26-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    Cap Capello
    Celebrating 35th Year Of In Business Passion
    DJ Wedding Albany Saratoga Troy Schenectady

BOSE L1 Compact - L1 Model 1S - L1 Model 2
    518.399.7451 East Coast Time Zone

Asus Eee Pad Tablet

I have the Asus Tablet and love it. Its not restricted like the ipad and it can do more.
    The two top features.

1. it has a port for HDMI
    2. It has a port of Micro SD card..

there's more like you can customize it to your liking.
    check it out.
    DJ Johnny
    Asus core i5
    Serato & VDJ
    http://www.feedbackentertainment.com
    www.facebook us
    Practice and Enjoy

One thing I dont think you want to do is hand out a tablet to people at a show.. that is why I suggested the app at http://www.karaokeloop.com/ .. people can find out where you are playing and DOWNLOAD your BOOK onto their own cell phone.. then they have it already when they come to the show...

One of the things you want to do is make it very easy for singer to get your song list.. using a program like one that opens an office doc, while great, still makes it hard because somehow you need to get the file onto peoples tablets or phones.. Again, you dont want to hand out tablets, even if CHEAP and have them become broken.. Unlike a paper book, its a lot more expensive to replace.

Now, I cant say I have used the app I am recommending but I read some reviews and it looks great...
    Last edited by unlimitedsounds; 03-26-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fbeweds View Post
    I have the Asus Tablet and love it. Its not restricted like the ipad and it can do more.
    The two top features.

1. it has a port for HDMI
    2. It has a port of Micro SD card..

there's more like you can customize it to your liking.
    check it out.
    The top two features you list are available on the iPad as well. The micro SD card is limited to getting content into the iPad, and not for additional storage, but it can be done.

And the list of available apps for the iPad far outshine those on any android tablet.

As far as a music database, instead of providing tablets, how about looking at a way to make your music list searchable by people's own smartphones? Yeah, not everyone has one, but those that do could simply go to a website and browse your music that way. If you put tablets out there, unmonitored, how are you going to keep track of them? They will walk on you.

Like the ideas but not there yet

thanks for the replies guys...

I haven't ever seen that karaoke app. and it looks close to what I would want a tablet to do... We've been doing this for 15+ years and I bet we have at least 90% of the songs ever available on karaoke... so do I just run this app on a tablet and deal with disappointing the other 10%? .... Hmmm

As far as the tablets walking away... It may happen, but I would have to find a cheap (replaceable) tablet that would still run whatever search program we used... and I would "ugly" up the tablet with a big plastic permanent stand so the tablet would be able to stand on a table easily, and a "permanently bonded on" plastic business card with our website and info... Not something you would want for a personal tablet... The DJ's would have to be responsible to give them out and get them back throughout the night for the people who wanted to look up theirs songs... But, your right they still may walk away...

Our current books are outdated and with the huge amount of songs we have, the combination of printing, binders, sheet protectors makes our books cost $50+ each (we use special made post binders with cloth under the laminent so they last longer)... I'm sure tablets would cost more, but the ease of updating and the cool factor might be worth it since tablets are really falling in price...
    Knock em' Alive

OMG...it's alive...Tim is ALIVE!!!

Cap...would one of those apps work better than another in an emergency backup situation?

Booch
    GSA President - PTBH Committee Chairman - Beta Tester - Thread Derailer
    Well-Known In The DJ Industry
    This post may be moderated for quality control purposes.
    The Podcast Alternative...http://start.mobilebeat.com/showthread.php?t=32388
    "Booch is here. Now things will get really interesting." - GoodknightDJ
    "Fist Bump To The Dump!" - Bill Goode
    "Steely McBeam smells like whiskey!" - Steeler Baby