Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Register Now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalphantoms View Post
    What's the dispersion angle on the RCF? Maybe I am missing something, (I checked their site and didn't seem to find it)... Dispersion angles for outdoors events are important for me... I don't want to hijack this thread, but moreover offer some advice... Anyways, my 2 cents: Have you ever noticed that the most common outdoor speaker used for large outdoor venues is the Electro-voice SX300PI and the SX300PIX? You will find these all over the world installed in venue's outdoors. They are used in almost EVERY application where outdoor sound is needed.

These cabinets are all weatherproof and work extremely well outdoors due to the constant 65X65 degree dispersion angle... you can even array them easily with little to no understanding of array technology or how it works for larger events.

RCF - 90 x 60, Wide dispersion constant directivity horn
    Louie Londono
    Bilingual Entertainer

www.djlouie.com

www.facebook.com/dj.louie.atlanta

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Each year I do 18-20 outdoor pool parties for two country clubs. I am simply a "human radio", background music for those sunning themselves and for kids to request the current hits. I've done these now for 13 years. I'm usually given a couple of BIG umbrellas to cover myself and equipment during the long 5-6 hour holiday afternoon events, which I don't use for the Friday night events. I'm getting to the age where I don't want to be lifting 45-55 pound speakers on tripods in 90 degrees. The quality of the sound is not that important, not that I want buzzing and humming, but half the time they don't even remember that I played their request. It's just background and announcements. The announcements need to reach 300 feet. "The boss" isn't concerned about the sound of the music - just that it can be heard. That's my situation in a nut shell.
    Kenny Zail

Disc Jockey= www.PartyHitsEntertainment.com
    Game Shows= www.QuizShowChallenge.com
    Speaker Team Building= www.KennyZail.com

Lets try to respond again...first one posted to cyberland evidently...

45 to 55lb speakers are pretty light really. Have you considered using a different stand or walking them up from the ground?
    Copyright 1995 - 2013 Bob Dietrich AD&L
    This post, opinion & viewpoint is copyrighted information.
    It is the sole Property of Bob Dietrich AD&L.
    Do not copy or otherwise use this information or exchange it with
    others without the express written consent of the author.

Bob Dietrich
    Acoustic Dreams & Lightbeams
    Peoria's Finest Disc Jockey Entertainment

I have had a pair of these for about 6 yrs. now and they still play just as loud and clear as the day I bought them.
    http://www.peavey.com/products/proau...26reg%3B15.cfm

I use them for stuff like what you are doing. Just did the pool deck at the Cocoa Beach Hilton last friday.

I know you said powered, but a QSC GX5 amp will throw 500watts at these speakers and it is a pretty light amp.

So the Peaveys are 31lbs and they are plenty loud.
    The whole set, without cables would cost you about $860.

You might like the idea of setting up without having to run the extra power cords to the active tops.

The GX5 has multiple input/output connection options.
    If you don't think you can or don't want to do something, you are right. If you think you can and want to do something, you are also right.

www.DJTunesOfFlorida.com
    1-888-DJ-TUNES
    Roger

45 to 55lb speakers are pretty light really.

Dear "Senior Member"

How old are you?
    Kenny Zail

Disc Jockey= www.PartyHitsEntertainment.com
    Game Shows= www.QuizShowChallenge.com
    Speaker Team Building= www.KennyZail.com

Leduc (just south of Edmonton) , Alberta, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyZail View Post
    Each year I do 18-20 outdoor pool parties for two country clubs. I am simply a "human radio", background music for those sunning themselves and for kids to request the current hits. I've done these now for 13 years. I'm usually given a couple of BIG umbrellas to cover myself and equipment during the long 5-6 hour holiday afternoon events, which I don't use for the Friday night events. I'm getting to the age where I don't want to be lifting 45-55 pound speakers on tripods in 90 degrees. The quality of the sound is not that important, not that I want buzzing and humming, but half the time they don't even remember that I played their request. It's just background and announcements. The announcements need to reach 300 feet. "The boss" isn't concerned about the sound of the music - just that it can be heard. That's my situation in a nut shell.
    two QSC K10 speakers, tilted down and on stands 7 ft in the air.. covered with the inclement weather covers..
    done.

Quote Originally Posted by hippydog View Post
    two QSC K10 speakers, tilted down and on stands 7 ft in the air.. covered with the inclement weather covers..
    done.
    +1 for the QSC K10s or K12s.
    DJ SMASH.

Ok, had to bring back this thread. I suppose I should have put this under a relay thread, but since this discussion covered heat issues of the EV speakers I wanted to make sure I posted this here.

Yet another relay. (4th this summer so far) This one has been the 2nd hottest. Direct sun all day today. 94 degrees here in here in Michigan and 75% humidity. Heat index way over 100 degrees.
    Setup included:
    >8x SXA360's to start. (2 on each corner) then I took it down to only 1 on each corner. So I ran with 4 all day.
    >1 SBA760 just even out the low end and blend it together.

Sounds absolutely fantastic. Height has been my friend. I only have these at about 10 feet high because of the wind. Ideally 12 or 13 feet would be better. But even at 10 feet there is a very even sound. Not excessive up front and has a very great throw.

These SXA360's have no fan, no heat sink (other than the solid plate on the back panel) They are very loud, warm, and clear... Everyone is quick to say EV's are not good for outdoor events because of the cooling system (or the lack there of). I think it needs to be noted that they exceptionally well... In fact I would take them over the K12 ANY DAY. Anyone care to do a side by side comparison on a football field?

http://dpmevents.com/albums_8924806b...s/IMAG0208.jpg

http://dpmevents.com/albums_8924806b...s/IMAG0210.jpg
    Randy Hendrixson
    DPM Events
    http://dpmevents.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to digitalphantoms For This Useful Post:

aatsaa (06-25-2012)

on a rock in the middle of the pacific ocean
    Yamaha dxr8 or dxr12.

I have continued to use a amp and passive speakers for my outdoor events. I just feel better having the QSC amp in the rack in the shade, and my 4 passive JBL EON 1500's in the heat and sun. But I would consider the EV's for the outdoor heat and sun.

Joe Locke
    Hits DJ Entertainment

www.hitsdj.com