Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Register Now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DJVonScheller View Post
    take a look at the QSC KLA line array. You can go with the KW181 sub because you won't need to fly the sub. We use 4 KW181s and 4 K12s for 500 person school and it rocked. Here is a photo of it. I used a dual speaker mount on one crank stand to get the speakers up on each side.
    Attachment 11408
    I would place those 4 subs together right in the center, you'll pick up an additional 3dB of gain. This can be used in a number of ways...for of course an additional 3dB of output or an additional 3dB of headroom, or better sound due to lower excursion and subsequent lower distortion compared to having them separated two to a side, and in any case, better more even coverage due to a single point source.
    Copyright 1995 - 2013 Bob Dietrich AD&L
    This post, opinion & viewpoint is copyrighted information.
    It is the sole Property of Bob Dietrich AD&L.
    Do not copy or otherwise use this information or exchange it with
    others without the express written consent of the author.

Bob Dietrich
    Acoustic Dreams & Lightbeams
    Peoria's Finest Disc Jockey Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by -bp- View Post
    Still, I'd give the Yamaha system a listen...LOUD. The smoothness and clarity of this system at high volumes is incredible.
    Yo BP, the Yamaha system is priced pretty darn good. I was surprised....especially given your review.
    One can set themselves up for a very reasonable price. Here's a comparison against the EV Live X Series.
    Note: these prices are an average of 3 different individual sellers...not the price of an individual seller. -Z-

YAHAMAHA DSR Series
    • 2) YAMAHA DSR112 - 2-WAY BI-AMP POWERED SPEAKER/12LF/2HF/1300W/90X60---$1300.00 w/ Delivery
    • 2) YAMAHA DSR115 - 2-WAY BI-AMP POWERED SPEAKER/15LF/2HF/1300W/90X60---$1474.00 w/ Delivery
    • 2) YAMAHA DSR118W - POWERED SUBWOOFER/18LF/800W---$1649.00 w/ Delivery

EV Live X
    • 2) Electro-Voice ELX112P-15 Inch 2 Way Full Range Powered Speaker---$899.00 w/ Delivery
    • 2) Electro-Voice ELX115P-15 Inch 2 Way Full Range Powered Speaker---$1049.00 w/ Delivery
    • 2) Electro-Voice ELX118P-18 Inch Powered Subwoofer---$1200.00 w/ Delivery
    Last edited by DJSTEVEZ; 01-17-2012 at 05:49 PM.

I think people don't read and understand the OP's original question. I may be wrong, but I don't think he's looking for line arrays.

From the original post - "The biggest schools we do are 700-800 students and I usually use the EV ZXA5 w/ Yorville LS801's for those. We also do a lot of 250 - 350 person proms and a few 150 & less proms."

It seems to me he has the larger events covered and is looking for something to handle smaller events and or double bookings. Hence the suggestion to double up on the currently owned system. The advantages are many. Even larger events are possible (he'll have double what he handles the large events with now.) Smaller events can be handled with gear working at idle levels, scalability, etc.
    Thanks,
    Bill Cronheim - ESC, Inc.
    Backstage since 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dietrich View Post
    I would go with another set of what you already have so you can start being more modular...you could do far bigger events with far more ease by doubling up on the EV/Yorkie system... then scale the system as needed to the event.
    I'm with Bob too, a modular system is the way to go. Buy one more set of tops and one sub if your double booked Proms are small. If you manage to book two big Proms on the same night, buy another sub. I own four matching subs / four matching tops and I can tell you that it sure is nice to be able to add a third or forth cab / sub as needed. I quite often throw a third top on top of the coupled subs in front of me to take care of the middle section during speeches / cocktails at weddings. Works wonders for the head table which is usually right across from me on the opposite side of the dance floor. Sometimes I run three subs if I think it will be too much for two subs.
    Regards, Steve
    www.musicmaestrodj.com

I absolutely agree with most of the above in suggesting the addition of matching gear that you already own. More modularity, more flexability, less learning curve AND more backup.

To the pic, I'm guessing there was some serious comb filtering and a big power alley with that configuration. Splay the tops a bit more and as Bob recommended couple the subs centered but in a stacked cube, you'll get more bass to the back of the room, eliminate any power alley there is as well as save some throttle not to mention you'll get a bit better low frequency response and depth, they'll play lower...

Just my opinion.
    Allen Deneau

...Sound | DJ | Light

You are so silly Allen. If you read most of the posts on the various DJ boards, you'd realize that comb filtering and power alleys don't really exist, kind of like fairies.
    Regards, Steve
    www.musicmaestrodj.com

c'mon Steve, you know it's fun using made up theories and jibberish when talking tech. ha ha ha

Ps. how do you change the filter in a comb? I've never even seen one lol.
    Allen Deneau

...Sound | DJ | Light

That EV/Yorkie combo is a pretty good one. You certainly may want to listen to what QSC has to offer as well. I tend to favor going with more of what brought you to the dance in the first place. EV tops have always worked well for me.
    If you want respect, demand it. Require payment up front.

As an advocate for "MODULARITY" I share the opinion of using more of what you already have. If the gig is smaller, why not use what you have and turn down the volume. You're much better off having the extra headroom rather than risking pushing a smaller system into audio oblivion.
    Nick Burke (aka DJ NickyB)
    http://www.NickyB-Entertainment.com
    Gear Board Co-Moderator
    Ex USAF Electronics Tech
    Pro Musician (bass & keyboards) '65-'87 / DJ since '87
    40+ yrs Sr Computer Systems Programmer at NASA/GSFC

I am in a similar situation as the OP'r. I use 4 JBL EON 515xt's and 2 JBL EON 518S's. I want to start getting into the bigger High School Dances. I like modularity but I am concerned adding more EON subs won't cut it. Should I upgrade to the Yorkville LS801P or even the QSC KW181? Or are my concerns moot and 2 more EONS would do the trick?