Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Register Now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I Want A Tablet, But I'm Clueless...HELP!

OK, so I've got Tablet fever...after seeing just about everybody and their brother rocking one here in Aruba (and I don't mean just the Nooks & Kindles either...although there are plenty of them) I'm kinda hooked. Problem is I don't know much about them.

The iPad interests me, but my phone is Android & the rest of my machines are Windows...can there be inter-OS-Platform harmony? What about no ports of the iPad...I'd like to load it with some tunes...and for that matter can VDJ be used in any form on the iPad?

I guess basic surfing, media downloading/playing/streaming, & e-mail would be the primary functions on any tablet I get. I would like to run VDJ if possible, but it's not a deal breaker. Any screen smaller than an iPad would be pretty much useless to me. Do the tablets operate as cell phones? I don't think I'd need that. I'd be more than happy to just plug into available WiFi rather than have to subscribe to another f-in Data package...but I don't even know if that's an option.

I think that pretty much covers my primary concerns and needs. I went to cnet.com and untypically what I found there wasn't very helpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANX! -Z-
    DJ Steve -Z-

D.J. Couture
    Your Special Day, Custom Designed & One of a Kind

Serving The WORLD from
    www.DJCouture.com

on a rock in the middle of the pacific ocean
    i have an android phone. really love the turn-by-turn on android navigation. that alone makes it hard for me to switch to an iphone. other than that, an iOS or android PHONE is fine by me.

but for TABLETS, i have to say ipad. there are tons more apps and they are much more polished on iOS. i chose an ipad for my tablet. phones, meh....i can wait to see what the iphone 5 will be like and what new android phones will be like at that time. siri doesn't sell it for me.

really wish nokia would put android on their phones...

When you see VDJ on the ipad you will sh... It's pretty cool Remember it's just the remote for the program. I just got an ipad 1 last week on eBay for a pretty good price. It's used but like new. I now have 4 people I work with that now want one. You can tether the ipad off of your phone. As stated apps are what make the experience and some are really really cool. My problem with android is that it is a direct rip off of the iphone. Blackberry is in a world of hurt so the playbook is out. Dell and HP are already getting out of that business and the galaxy is the same price.
    www.djmarke.com
    Fred's Little Buddy

You'll have to figure out what you want to be able to do with the tablet. Depending on what you do on the web, iPad's exclusion of Flash could be an issue. The stripped down, but beautiful Amazon tablet could be great for it's price point if it does what you want. Otherwise, expect $500, whether it's an Android or iPad.

Google iPad vs. Android, read the first few articles, educate yourself a bit, then go out and play with some tablets and see if you like the interfaces.
    Grand Forks DJ Robert Benda: RNB Weddings

Check out the Acer Iconia Tablet running Windows 7 pro.

The tablet even comes with a full size docking keyboard, has WiFi, Bluetooth, touch screen, etc. It can even be tethered to Matt's android phone for internet access without spending an additional monthly fee.

We are using it as a remote to run our SAC mixing console as well as running Elation Emulation lighting software. He also uses it for our business.

This is a pix of it with our small SAC setup from this past Fridays event. He used it to walk around the room and adjust the mix as well as stood next to the musicians to set their monitor mixes.

If you're wanting to stick with Android, but like the look and feel of an iPad you might be interested in the Motorola Xoom. My friend loves his. http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...ith-WiFi-US-EN

I Want A Tablet
    Do you need a tablet for anything? Probably not. If you want the best toy in the playground, get an I pad.
    Bobby D

"Your Day - Your Way"

WWW.DJbobbyDeese.com

I use an Android phone, and an iPad. In my opinion, Android is better on the phone, but iOS is better on the tablet. There are 2 key features on the iPad that can't be matched with an Android tablet at this time.

1. 10 hour battery life
    2. Instant usability... in other words, when you snap the smart cover open on an iPad, you can immediately start using any app you want, even if the app requires internet. Android devices seem to take a little while to reconnect to the internet and become fully usable from a sleep.

I like the fact that I can answer my phone at any time, snap open the iPad and instantly go to work as if I've got my entire office in front of me.

Steve : +1 for the Xoom. I have the WiFi model. Use it at weddings instead of handheld planner paperwork. Use it at meetings for paperless note taking. Use it (video, which is really quite amazing in clarity) at bowling to diagnose delivery issues. Use it as a mini-mixer for ceremonies and/or cocktail hour music playlists.

Cons: Does not accept all Droid apps (yet).
    Cap Capello
    Celebrating 35th Year Of In Business Passion
    DJ Wedding Albany Saratoga Troy Schenectady

BOSE L1 Compact - L1 Model 1S - L1 Model 2
    518.399.7451 East Coast Time Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Use it (video, which is really quite amazing in clarity) at bowling to diagnose delivery issues.
    Ha, took me a second to get what you're doing, there.
    Grand Forks DJ Robert Benda: RNB Weddings