1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

50th Birthday. Playlist suggestions...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by djKale, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djKale

djKale New Member

This Saturday I'm doing a 50th birthday party celebration and I'm sure I'll be fine as far as music goes, but would like some suggestions from those who may be a bit "wiser" than myself.

What are some MUST haves? Maybe a good compilation album or two to pick up?

Kale

2. MusicDoctorDJ

MusicDoctorDJ New Member

I just did two 50th. birthday parties last month . . .

Music from 20 to 30 years ago was the hit!

70's rock . . .

Like Bob Seger, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Doobie Brothers . . . the list is huge!

Even Michael Jackson, believe it or not . . . get his new CD titled 'Number 1's'!

Older country . . .

Like Alabama, Exile, George Strait, Hank Williams Jr., Willy Nelson, George Jones, etc.!

If they are 50 years old, you've gotta figure that they graduated high school in 1972!

3. Cap

Cap Always At Your Service

50th Birthday Music

What's really fun in prep'ing for an event such as a 50th Birthday is to do a little research on the big political topics and music hits of the (estimated) high school days of the 50 year old. They most certainly won't remember most tunes from age 0-14 so target hits from their age 14-21. It's also a blast to discover the Top Five songs on the exact day the GOH (guest of honor) was born and have them ready as fill. If the personality fits, also find the #1 tune 9 months before the GOH was born, just to see what their Mom & Dad were listening to when they, ah, well you know!

4. Jim Cerone Indy Pro DJ

Jim Cerone Indy Pro DJ Member

Hi Kale,

50 years old, means they were born in 1954, right before the beginning of the "Rock Era" (jeez, I sound like Casey Kasem). So, that was just about the time the country traded Sinatra for Elvis.

When they were 10 years old in 1964, the Beatles / British Invasion happened.

At 20 (1974, pre-disco) they were probably out of high school and/or college.

They were 30 years old in 1984 (and probably still listening to Top 40 radio).

By 1994, they were 40 and may have switched to an "Adult" or soft rock station.

So, that means just about anything is fair game :D

Seriously, they were probably influenced by their parents musical tastes growing up, so they know and appreciate the Rat Pack (Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc.). They're undoubtedly familiar with the Beatles and Rolling Stones. If they married in their early 20's they may have missed the Disco explosion, but they'll still know plenty of 70's songs.

Try to do some more specific research. Can you get some more info out of their spouse before the party? What are their musical tastes? What CD's are in their home collection? What was the first dance at their Prom, College Formal and/or wedding? What radio stations did they / do they listen to?

Hope that helps!

5. dunlopj

dunlopj New Member

Cripes, when I started out DJ'ing, with almost every BD party I did, the guest of honor was older then me - not anymore.

Anywho, I did a 50th anniversary party last weekend and am doing a 40th BD party this weekend. I know I've seen it before, but there is a website that tells you what was in fashion, cars, costs, etc for any given year. Anyone know what I'm referring to here? Or can you provide the link?

6. Bryan Durio

Bryan Durio Music and Videos Moderator

7. djKale

djKale New Member

Simply awesome guys. What a great site.

I appreciate the suggestions!

Kale

8. dunlopj

dunlopj New Member

Brian, that site is perfect!

Thanks!

Thread Status: