Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Register Now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which amp for Peavey SP-2s?

I want to get one of the lighterweight QSC amps, i.e. the PLX series, but am not sure which one would be best for a pair of brand new SP2s. Suggestions? (I was considering the Peavey amp designed for these speakers, I think it's the PV1600, which powers them in biamp mode, but it weighs quite a bit more than a PLX and I'm guessing draws more power from the wall. And no one seems to have any experience with it.)

The SP2 has a 'program' rating of 1000 watts. They have an RMS rating of 500 watts.

The PLX 3602 could safely power these speakers, as it provides 725 watts of power. You will have little to worry as far as blowing speakers, and they will get plenty loud for you.

My experience with Peavey speakers is the sound starts to fall apart when you start driving them up to their program rating. While they won't burn out, they won't sound that great either.

Well it figures: I stopped by the shop and they've sold the SP2s. They have more on the way, but the owner thinks I should consider getting EV Eliminator i two-ways instead. I know absolutely nothing about these. Can anyone give me a comparison?

You can't go wrong with the Eliminators. I have a couple pairs of them and they sound great. great bass response(because of the large box size),good midrange clarity and very smooth yet warm high end. Powered by a CE4000 stereo (600w/ch) they'll rock the house.
    Chris

I own both the EV Eliminator Is and the Peavey SP2s. Hands down, get the Peaveys. They are heavier and larger, but they sound much better when run in full range. The Eliminators do not have the low end that the Peaveys do and we try to avoid using them without some sort of sub. The Peaveys handle a ton of power.
    Anthony
    Dance Party DJs
    Lake Zurich, IL

How much power do you run to the Peaveys? And do you bi-amp them?

I also own the Peavey SP2's. Some people do believe that their speakers are low grade, which in some cases they are. I bought PR15's (foolishly) and they were garbage, couldn't push much low end, endless driver problems... so I upgraded and went to the SP2's and wouldn't look back.
    I've compared the SP2's and the SP5's side-by-side. The most noticeable difference was the low end response from the SP2's - unbelieveable for a Peavey speaker, running full range. Overall, I'm totally satisfied with them.

As far as your amp situation. I do not and have never used the bi-amp function on the speakers, I typically run them full range from a Crest Audio CA9. Overall, it really pushes the speakers, but I know I can get even more power out of them if I upgrade the amp with a bit more power. Someone mentioned as well that the speakers reproduction capability begins to decrease at higher volumes... I'm not denying this, but I've never experienced it, although I can confirm that even at low volumes these speakers still deliver a full range of frequency.

Patrick T

So it sounds like the SP-2 is a good way to go, but to avoid overpowering it, i.e. keep the power range down around 750 or so? Here are the specs on Peavey's PV1600, which is supposed to be tailor-made for the SP-2:

"The PV 1600 Bi-Pack is an integrated, all-in-one power solution for bi-amping non-powered speakers such as the Peavey SP 2, SP 4 or Impulse 1015. The PV 1600 Bi-Pack delivers 930 watts to woofers (lows) and 350 watts to compression drivers (highs) through a specialized crossover with built-in EQ and phase adjustment. In addition to a 50 Hz bass boost with roll off, a gentle slope throughout the rest of the low frequency range is utilized up to the crossover frequency."

That sounds like maybe too much power, given the above recommendation? (It's at 4 ohm).
    The amp looks like a nice solution for the speakers, espcially for the price (under $500) but damn it weighs 35 pounds!

I have 2 Pv 2600's and 2 American Audio V3001's and id recomend looking at the American Audio line
    http://<br /> http://www.adjaudio.c...=1269&cat=Amps

I highly recomend these amps they are an absolute power house run in stereo or in bridge. I like them over the Peavey amps because they have 2 cooling fans in them and they stay nice and cool even at 4 ohms bridged on dual 18's the peaveys can heat up just ran in stereo. Also they are at a great price compared to qsc for example. As for the speakers you may like the basket replacement feature on the peavey's which in a bind can come in quite handy.
    Jesse Comfort
    Owner Of Sound Trax DJ Services and Productions
    soundtrax@telus.net

Quote Originally Posted by d-dubsta
    How much power do you run to the Peaveys? And do you bi-amp them?
    I power them with a QSC PLX3002. I'm not sure how many watts that gives them in 8 ohms, but I think its around 600. I have never biamped them as I do not have the need to biamp them.
    Anthony
    Dance Party DJs
    Lake Zurich, IL