Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Register Now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Country Music - Questions/Discussions about Country Music!

This thread is where you can post your questions on Country music and share ideas for playlists.

Here are the CMA winners from last night...

ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR
    KEITH URBAN

MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
    KEITH URBAN

FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
    GRETCHEN WILSON

DUO OF THE YEAR
    BROOKS & DUNN

GROUP OF THE YEAR
    RASCAL FLATTS

HORIZON AWARD
    DIERKS BENTLEY

SONG OF THE YEAR
    "Whiskey Lullaby" written by BILL ANDERSON and JON RANDALL

SINGLE OF THE YEAR
    "I May Hate Myself In The Morning" - LEE ANN WOMACK

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
    "There's More Where That Came From" - LEE ANN WOMACK

VOCAL EVENT OF THE YEAR
    "Good News, Bad News" - GEORGE STRAIT and LEE ANN WOMACK

VIDEO OF THE YEAR
    "As Good As I Once Was" - TOBY KEITH

DUO OF THE YEAR
    BROOKS & DUNN

I agree with most except Gretchen Wilson. She is riding the Redneck woman coattails way tooooooo long.

She isn't that talented and seems like a fluzy to me.
    Karl Langford
    Multiple Choice Disc Jockey
    Long Prairie, MN

Signature under investigation by forum moderators. Please check back often for updates.

Karl,

Who would have been your choice for female artist instead of Gretchen?

I am glad to see country music coming back to its roots instead of trying to become more and more like Top 40. I like the sound of a lot on country radio again these days. Heck, even Garth's new song sounds more country than anything that he has done in a long time. I still listen to Top 40 and Talk (KFAN if I can get it) on the radio way more than country.

I know that Keith Urban is huge right now, but I still don't think that he is really the best male artist in country music. I would give that to Toby although he is starting to overstay his welcome a bit. He might need to take a year off.

And, wasn't "Whiskey Lullaby" from early 2004? How about Dierks Bentley with the Horizon Award? I thought that he has been around for a few years already.

Chris,

How about Sara Evans? She has a real voice compared to Gretchen. Her voice is smooth, Gretchen's rough from too much skoal and Marlboros.

Sara has 2 or 3 children she brings with on the road but still puts out great music.

All my opinion of course.
    Karl Langford
    Long Prairie, MN

Signature under investigation by forum moderators. Please check back often for updates.

I hate to break it to you guys, but..................

Country music was on the steep decline until country music became crossover material. Remember, as time goes on, new generations of listeners come on board. Country music has become fun as well as a bit 'retro' to the young people who never heard of Jim Reeves, Waylon Jennings, et al.

Gretchen Wilson is great. She's appealing to those who actually participate and frequent all those honky tonk bars across America.

Shania and SheDaisy do the same thing.

As far as Brooks 'n' Dunn, they are awesome. They play the music we all want to hear.

There are so many great country performers nowadays. It's hard to pick a favorite.
    Turtletraxx Entertainment LLC
    turtletraxx.com

Gretchen Wilson is great. She's appealing to those who actually participate and frequent all those honky tonk bars across America.
    All opinion and of course that is what we all have.

I for one, don't care for her. She is riding the popularity of Redneck Woman and maybe Here for the party. Nothing else she has released is any good. Maybe good but not even close to great. All jacked up sucks.

I realize that country was on the decline but thanks to Garth brooks in the early 1990's, it made a comeback.

I like shedaisy. Can't stand Shania Twain. Faith Hill was better before Tim and Tim's new stuff isn't that good either.

I like classic country. I am going to go see Walk the line. It looks very good.
    Karl Langford
    Long Prairie, MN

Karl,

That's a good choice too. I love Sara Evans.

I'm glad to see Shania is on the decline. She really needs to reinvent herself. I think that her song, "I Ain't No Quitter" was a step in the right direction. It is actually twangy and country, but still Shania. She used to be more country before she met Mutt Lange (and then married him...dang). I do like her music, but the pop-country has become tired to me anyway.

Good to see people chiming in on this subject!

Quote Originally Posted by turtletraxx
    There are so many great country performers nowadays. It's hard to pick a favorite.
    Heh, I think it's the exact opposite. Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban...No country music talent in any of those guys (just my honest opinion).

How is Cross Canadian Ragweed or Deryl Dodd not getting any play?